Rcmorr09

10 year green card question.

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My wife received her 10 year card today thankfully! However her card shows my last name, we never changed her name over. In fact her social security card and all other forms of id/passport have her maiden name. Is this normal for immigration to do this or is it a mistake? Can we keep the card and just go to a social security office and change her name Or is the card good no matter what? Today is a Saturday otherwise I would call and ask imm.

Thanks.

My wife received her 10 year card today thankfully! However her card shows my last name, we never changed her name over. In fact her social security card and all other forms of id/passport have her maiden name. Is this normal for immigration to do this or is it a mistake? Can we keep the card and just go to a social security office and change her name Or is the card good no matter what? Today is a Saturday otherwise I would call and ask imm.

Thanks.

[/quot

It's goimg to be a bit of a pain as she'll have to carry her MC and her GC with her for travel and ID.

USCIS only copies what you put down.

She can change it when she goes for her USC if she wants.

Edited by Dakine

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Thanks.

If you have a copy of your I-751 then check what you wrote. As painful as this suggestions is going to be, if you didn't by mistake write her last name incorrectly, then you should request a name correction on the GC - since you are approved, you shouldn't really have to deal with a lot.

Not sure what happens later on, if she needs to provide evidence of a name change when applying for citizenship, then it will be difficult to produce documentation to support the name change. I would look into what happens when someone legally requests a name change.

Another advice, you can setup an Infopass appointment - this may be faster to get the reproduction of the card.

Hope it goes well!

Edited by v333k

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Thanks.

If you have a copy of your I-751 then check what you wrote. As painful as this suggestions is going to be, if you didn't by mistake write her last name incorrectly, then you should request a name correction on the GC - since you are approved, you shouldn't really have to deal with a lot.

Not sure what happens later on, if she needs to provide evidence of a name change when applying for citizenship, then it will be difficult to produce documentation to support the name change. I would look into what happens when someone legally requests a name change.

Another advice, you can setup an Infopass appointment - this may be faster to get the reproduction of the card.

Hope it goes well!

Her name was filled out correctly on the form, I used her maiden name. When we got the approval letter, the letter asked to make sure all information was correct and it was. I was surprised to see that her name had been changed to my last name.

Thanks.

Hope it goes well!

Her name was filled out correctly on the form, I used her maiden name. When we got the approval letter, the letter asked to make sure all information was correct and it was. I was surprised to see that her name had been changed to my last name.

Then, maybe you should have an Infopass appointment and try to get it corrected. Although you want to change it during natz, but somewhere in USCIS they might end up with the same Alien number for two names, which might cause a problem later (they might consider some kind of identity theft even though it isn't).

Maybe some other VJers might provide other words of advice....

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

Thanks.

Hope it goes well!

Then, maybe you should have an Infopass appointment and try to get it corrected. Although you want to change it during natz, but somewhere in USCIS they might end up with the same Alien number for two names, which might cause a problem later (they might consider some kind of identity theft even though it isn't).

OK, the reason I say they could consider identity theft because I was reading this post a few days ago and this lady had this problem.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=231841

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

Thanks.

Hope it goes well!

Well the alien numbers match up, I'm gonna call the number on the form on Monday when they are open and ask them.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.