vermontcostarica

Domicile/Joint Sponsor/DCF

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Thanks to all of you in advance. It's just that I really don't know too much.

I'm listing 3 parts to this topic because they all now seem to be related. I'm gathering as much info as I can and am noticing things that I hadn't really thought of. We were planning on doing IR-1/CR-1 but....

I don't think I make enough money to sponsor my wife. I am living in Costa Rica as perpetual tourist. I travel back to US to work on occasion. These factors present two potential problems based on the information I'm seeing. Please let me know if there are more.

1. Problems proving domicile in the US.

2. Potential need for joint sponsor.

Another possibility....We could wait for my 6 months of legal residency now that we've received our marriage certificate (see my above thread on the forum) and go the DCF route if it makes sense.

Questions:

Does DCF require an I-864 or the same financial requirements along with the Joint Sponsor possibility? I don't see it listed.

Is the joint sponsor thing actually an issue for a potential delay in the process?

Is the domicile issue a big deal? When do they ask you to prove it? Is it hard to prove? My parents are receiving my mail in the US - I make money in the U.S. - two factors maybe in my favor.... but 2 months from now I'll also potentially have permanent resident status in Costa Rica.

DCF? IR-1/CR-1? Any suggestions or better yet mandates as to what we might do are absolutely welcome and appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

DCF requires the same financial forms as any other visa, so you wuld still need assets or a joint sponsor.

If you have a joint sponsor who is comfortably above the poverty line, there should be no delay in issuing a visa.

Domicile is a big deal for DCF. They ask you to proof it at the interview (well, your wife will need to proof your domicile). A mailing address and making money in the US is good. Other good proof is valid voter registration and driving license, property ownership, US bank account (that can also go towards assets for the financial sponsorship), US bills such as for a cellphone, US credit card.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.