SunDrop

2010 United Kingdom Interview Thread

1,877 posts in this topic

Ok - as promised - its REALLY LONG, but hopefully helpful to someone, I know reading other peoples experiences helped me.

Yup they asked me the same question, what steps have you taken to move, and it caught us off guard and she was NOT happy. When I couldn't give details of a lease or place to stay I think thats what did us in.

Thanks for the review

Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know I passed my medical :D Just!!

Rito, thanks so much for that info you posted last week or I would have been buggered...as it happens the info I provided (letter from my current GP stating that they hadn't seen me in the 2 years I'd been registered there for that condition - had an eating disorder as a teenager) was only just passable - she really wanted my discharge notes :S I got a pretty good grilling from the doc (who, by the way, was not particularly pleasant - although once we started talking about prison tattoos of all things she loosened up a bit!) - it didn't help that I've been ill recently and so came up as underweight - but she said she was confident I was OK and not likely to relapse.

She said she will send off my stuff to the Embassy as a pass but that normally they would want a psych evaluation (as you mentioned Rito) so there is a chance the Embassy may send it back :( I think if I haven't heard from them by the end of next week I'm in the clear - for once no news is good news :)

Only one step left now...eeeep!!

Jess
Forewarned is forearmed

See my Timeline for previous USCIS applications

Lifting Conditions
2/20/2013: Filed
2/25/2013: NOA1

7/5/2013: RFE

8/23/2013: Approved

8/31/2013: GC received

Hey all,

Rito, thanks so much for that info you posted last week or I would have been buggered...as it happens the info I provided (letter from my current GP stating that they hadn't seen me in the 2 years I'd been registered there for that condition - had an eating disorder as a teenager) was only just passable - she really wanted my discharge notes :S I got a pretty good grilling from the doc (who, by the way, was not particularly pleasant - although once we started talking about prison tattoos of all things she loosened up a bit!) - it didn't help that I've been ill recently and so came up as underweight - but she said she was confident I was OK and not likely to relapse.

She said she will send off my stuff to the Embassy as a pass but that normally they would want a psych evaluation (as you mentioned Rito) so there is a chance the Embassy may send it back :( I think if I haven't heard from them by the end of next week I'm in the clear - for once no news is good news :)

Only one step left now...eeeep!!

Congrats Miss Jess! How do they class someone as underweight? Is it to do with BMI?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Great News Miss Jess

Medical - I'm confused now. How does it work? How do they know before you come who your GP is to know your medical history in the first place? Do they take note of that when you make the appointment, then, contact your GP directly before you come for the appointment? Or, do they just take people at their word about their medical history? Is that really the case? I find that astonishing. Am I being dumb again?

Timeline

Great News Miss Jess

Medical - I'm confused now. How does it work? How do they know before you come who your GP is to know your medical history in the first place? Do they take note of that when you make the appointment, then, contact your GP directly before you come for the appointment? Or, do they just take people at their word about their medical history? Is that really the case? I find that astonishing. Am I being dumb again?

My fiance had his medical about two weeks ago and it all went really smoothly for him. As far as I know they do not contact your GP unless there is an issue. They didn't ask him for his GPs name. For us it was fairly straightforward as he had answered "no" to all the questions (have you been hospitalized, ect.), but if you answer "yes" to any of them that's when you need to provide further details, possibly including letter from your GP or hospital records. So in answer to your question it seems they take people at there word about this information.

And congrats Miss Jess on having that step done with!

Met in Oxford U.K. in October 2005, 11 visits back and forth over 4 years

September 22, 2009 - Engaged!

Legal Wedding - June, 29, 2010

Big Fun Wedding! - August 6, 2010

ROC

06-20-2012 - I-751 Mailed

06-25-2012 - NOA date

07-27-2012 - Biometrics

02-25-2013 - Approved

AOS

07-01-2010 - AOS, EAD, AP Sent

07-13-2010 - NOA1's received

07-26-2010 - Biometrics Walk-In (App.Letter for 8/16)

08-02-2010 - REF received (proof of joint sponsor's citizenship required)

08-03-2010 - Sent back REF requested information

08-09-2010 - Case Transferred to CSC

08-24-2010 - AP Approved (received 8/30/2010)

08-24-2010 - EAD Approved (received 9/3/2010)

09-21-2010 - AOS Approved/Card Production Ordered

09-27-2010 - Green Card Received!

K-1 Journey:

11-04-2009 - I-129F sent

11-05-2009 - I-129F received by VCS

11-05-2009 - NOA1 date

11-09-2009 - Check Cashed

11-12-2009 - NOA1 hardcopy received

02-19-2010 - NOA2 approved!!

02-26-2010 - NOA2 hardcopy received

02-23-2010 - NVC received

02-25-2010 - NVC sends to embassy

03-08-2010 - Packet 3 mailed from embassy

03-15-2010 - Packet 3 received

03-15-2010 - Packet 3 sent (without checklist)

03-24-2010 - Medical

04-06-2010 - Checklist sent

04-22-2010 - Packet 4 received

05-04-2010 - Interview - Approved!!

05-10-2010 - Visa delivered

06-23-2010 - POE: Dulles, VA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My husband had his medical in January and he had to get more information to send to Knightsbridge because he had an abnormal ecg prior to a surgery in Feb 2009 and he had high blood pressure the day of the medical. He had to make an appointment with his GP, go to the hospital for a new ecg and then go back to his GP three times for recheck blood pressures. When everything was normal, his GP photocopied the ecg and wrote on there "all normal, no follow up needed" and he just wrote the 4 blood pressure checks at the bottom of the Knightsbridge form requesting the information. We zeroxed them and mailed them off. I called three days later to make sure that was all they needed (since none of it was formally written up) and they said they'd received it the day before and already sent it to the Embassy.

Unless they find something (like the blood pressure the day of) it all depends on what you tell them about your history. I would never suggest not telling the truth, but if there is something that you will tell them, you can always go ahead and have something from your GP that says you're well managed or do not need treatment. If there had been a problem with my husband's ecg or blood pressure, then all we would have needed was a treatment plan. It wouldn't have kept him out of the US, they just want to know a plan is in place for treatment, etc.

-Jenny

Our Timeline:

September 30, 2007 - I joined a country music website that he ran

March, 2008 - Started chatting online

October 15-27, 2008 - I came to the UK to visit, got engaged during surprise trip to Paris

February 14, 2009 - Married in Virginia

February 28, 2009 - Passport with new name arrived

March 3, 2009 - Biometrics appointment, Fed-Ex'd Spousal VISA package to courier

March 5, 2009 - Courier delivered to Embassy in LA

March 6, 2009 - VISA approved

March 7, 2009 - VISA in hand, bought airline ticket

March 8, 2009 - Arrived in U.K.

October 2009 - Decided to move family to the US

November 6, 2009 - Mailed I-130 to London

November 10, 2009 - NOA1

December 24, 2009 - NOA2

January 6, 2010 - Packet 3 received

January 13, 2010 - DS-2001 mailed

January 25, 2010 - Medicals completed

April 16, 2010 - Interview - It's a YES!

June 7, 2010 - Move to Virginia!

http://jennysadventuresinengland.blogspot.com

March 29, 2011 - Husband walked out on our marriage

April 29, 2011 - Husband moved himself and the children to Wyoming to be with the best woman from our wedding, who he'd only met the one time, at our wedding

December 14, 2011 - Divorce finalized

Timeline

Thanks Kristen & Hokie

I was simply curious and am now astonished that there is no checking up with GP, as humanity being what it is, their system is wide open for people being dishonest. Any job medical I have had has been checked with GP.

I don't have anything out of the ordinary or any hospitalisations in my medical history, apart from having my tonsils and adenoids whipped out age 6 (hope they're not expecting any documentation for that, 30 odd years ago!).

Thanks Kristen & Hokie

I was simply curious and am now astonished that there is no checking up with GP, as humanity being what it is, their system is wide open for people being dishonest. Any job medical I have had has been checked with GP.

I don't have anything out of the ordinary or any hospitalisations in my medical history, apart from having my tonsils and adenoids whipped out age 6 (hope they're not expecting any documentation for that, 30 odd years ago!).

It's pretty astonishing but they do rely on you being honest. I guess the logic being that you're going to be interviewed under oath at the Embassy anyway so it's not in your interests to lie...

They check for the stuff they're most interested in i.e. TB and infectious diseases, but rely on you for the rest.

The checkup and questioning was pretty thorough (I got a good grilling!!) so I guess they'd know by experience if I was witholding anything.

Jess
Forewarned is forearmed

See my Timeline for previous USCIS applications

Lifting Conditions
2/20/2013: Filed
2/25/2013: NOA1

7/5/2013: RFE

8/23/2013: Approved

8/31/2013: GC received

Timeline

Hey all,

Rito, thanks so much for that info you posted last week or I would have been buggered...

I'm so glad it went well! I got my fingers crossed that that's all they'll ask for. You were smart to get on this early! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I am happy to announce that I was woken up in the wee hours of the morning to a phone call by my fiance saying that he was approved for his k-1 visa!!!

I was shocked by how fast he said it went, the little questions they asked, and how they only took one piece of paperwork out of everything you are advised to bring for the interview.

It was a long wait, but well worth it. Good luck to everyone going through the process!

Michelle and James

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9/12/09 - Filed petition

9/16/09 - Check cashed

9/21/09 - Received NOA1

12/21/09 - Received NOA2

1/6/10 - Case received at embassy in UK

2/8/10 - Sent packet 3 forms to embassy and checklist

3/5/10 - Received Interview date!

3/8/10 - medical appointment

4/7/10 - Interview---we are approved!

6/15/10 - James is set to move to Chicago

8/7/10 - Wedding!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Congratulations musikgal06! I'm glad that everything went well with him today. That's an early morning call I'm sure you didn't mind :)

-Jenny

Our Timeline:

September 30, 2007 - I joined a country music website that he ran

March, 2008 - Started chatting online

October 15-27, 2008 - I came to the UK to visit, got engaged during surprise trip to Paris

February 14, 2009 - Married in Virginia

February 28, 2009 - Passport with new name arrived

March 3, 2009 - Biometrics appointment, Fed-Ex'd Spousal VISA package to courier

March 5, 2009 - Courier delivered to Embassy in LA

March 6, 2009 - VISA approved

March 7, 2009 - VISA in hand, bought airline ticket

March 8, 2009 - Arrived in U.K.

October 2009 - Decided to move family to the US

November 6, 2009 - Mailed I-130 to London

November 10, 2009 - NOA1

December 24, 2009 - NOA2

January 6, 2010 - Packet 3 received

January 13, 2010 - DS-2001 mailed

January 25, 2010 - Medicals completed

April 16, 2010 - Interview - It's a YES!

June 7, 2010 - Move to Virginia!

http://jennysadventuresinengland.blogspot.com

March 29, 2011 - Husband walked out on our marriage

April 29, 2011 - Husband moved himself and the children to Wyoming to be with the best woman from our wedding, who he'd only met the one time, at our wedding

December 14, 2011 - Divorce finalized

Timeline

I am happy to announce that I was woken up in the wee hours of the morning to a phone call by my fiance saying that he was approved for his k-1 visa!!!

Congrats musikgal! Hope you got back to sleep... I was so nervous before my fiance had his interview I didn't sleep at all that night. Made for an "excellent" next day :bonk:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I was simply curious and am now astonished that there is no checking up with GP, as humanity being what it is, their system is wide open for people being dishonest.

Remember the medical is part of the visa process. If at any point you have lied or not been 100% truthful and it later comes to light, they can, and have done, cancel your Permanent Residence status and deport you. Guess the figure the great majority are not going to risk it.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Timeline

She said she will send off my stuff to the Embassy as a pass but that normally they would want a psych evaluation (as you mentioned Rito) so there is a chance the Embassy may send it back :(

Eeek... I just reread that. When you say "normally they would want a psych evaluation," is that something the Knightsbridge doctor said? We are hoping that with a note from the fiance's gp, a psych evaluation would not be needed... we're really not in the mood to shell out hundreds of pounds and wait longer for this useless step. I'm guessing if the embassy asked for psych evaluations often, more people in the forums would have mentioned that... I don't see this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Eeek... I just reread that. When you say "normally they would want a psych evaluation," is that something the Knightsbridge doctor said? We are hoping that with a note from the fiance's gp, a psych evaluation would not be needed... we're really not in the mood to shell out hundreds of pounds and wait longer for this useless step. I'm guessing if the embassy asked for psych evaluations often, more people in the forums would have mentioned that... I don't see this.

In the four years I have been following events on this and another board I cannot recall anyone posting that the Embassy asked for more medical information once the doctor had given the applicant the OK.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.