loving_gabriela

FINDING JOBS in AMERICA

57 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi everyone! I got my EAD last month, and soon as I received it,I started sending resume online,filling out applications online. It's been a month now and there are no calls I receive for job interview at least.

How did you guys get a job? Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated.

I am not picky, I just want a job. I've been trying sites like snagajob.com, i applied at DD online and it is so frustrating how they could say you are not qualified for the job only after answering few simple questions. I find it unfair for them to screen their applicants that way.

I am getting frustrated.

Try craiglist.org, mostly Filipina here in our place work at Cub or other groceries....

Do your have TOR? I am a public school teacher in the Phil and I am qualified to teach in College in our country with many national seminars and certificates, but since I am in America they have high standard since we have different curriculum. In my case they need a course-by-course credential evaluations in my TOR.

It depends upon the work and what they requires.

Good luck!!!

Yeah i brought all my credentials.I tried checking schools here in NJ, il be applying for substitute teacher certificate wherein my TOR will be evaluated since we have different grading systems in Phils and then hopefully il be able to work as substitute teacher. There was one school who did not ask for any teaching certifications, they simply asked if i have my masters.Good thing I have finished my masters. It will take time to get teaching job that's why I am tryin my luck in finding whatever jobs available.

Try www.careerbuilder.com. Good Luck on job hunting! :star:

i check that too everyday:) thanks.

Yep, it's hard to get teaching job here in US. I paid for credential evaluations that I will use for licensing or employment purpose. Mine is just $125 combine bachelor and masteral and that evaluator is accredited by NACES, some asked for $250-$350 for combine credentials (Course-by-Course).

I do not yet receive the evaluations but I probably try my luck in what ever job available too. :) because it's hard to find teaching jobs.

5-20-2013 USC

I-130 Petition for my Mom

5-20-2013 filled I-130

5-21-2013 USCIS received the packet/Priority Date

5-22-2013 NOA1

10-28-2013 Expedite Request Submitted with the help of a Senator

11-13-2013 Additional document submitted for expedite process

11-21-13 NOA2

11-25-13 NOA2 hardcopy received

12-19-13 Expedite request approved (forwarded 24 hrs from NVC to consulate) received case number and IIN

12-24-13 Ready for interview schedule

12-26-13 Set the interview schedule

**** She could have the interview as early as Jan 7th but decided not on the rush for medical and for me to have time to forward all the document in the Philippines since I didn't pay or submit anything at NVC

1-8-9-14 Medical

1-27-14 Interview (submitted AOS & Civil documents, paid Visa Fee)

1-30-14 Visa Received

1-31-14 Immigration Fee $165 paid

**** We need my mom urgently but due of the cold weather in Minnesota, we decided to wait for warmer weather. She could be here as early as Feb....

2-3-14 Booked ticket for March due of cold weather

3-21-14 CFO seminar

3-31-14 POE

4-7-14 received SSN #

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi everyone! I got my EAD last month, and soon as I received it,I started sending resume online,filling out applications online. It's been a month now and there are no calls I receive for job interview at least.

I am not picky, I just want a job. I've been trying sites like snagajob.com, i applied at DD online and it is so frustrating how they could say you are not qualified for the job only after answering few simple questions. I find it unfair for them to screen their applicants that way.

I am getting frustrated.

Try craiglist.org, mostly Filipina here in our place work at Cub or other groceries....

Do your have TOR? I am a public school teacher in the Phil and I am qualified to teach in College in our country with many national seminars and certificates, but since I am in America they have high standard since we have different curriculum. In my case they need a course-by-course credential evaluations in my TOR.

Good luck!!!

Yeah i brought all my credentials.I tried checking schools here in NJ, il be applying for substitute teacher certificate wherein my TOR will be evaluated since we have different grading systems in Phils and then hopefully il be able to work as substitute teacher. There was one school who did not ask for any teaching certifications, they simply asked if i have my masters.Good thing I have finished my masters. It will take time to get teaching job that's why I am tryin my luck in finding whatever jobs available.

Yep, it's hard to get teaching job here in US. I paid for credential evaluations that I will use for licensing or employment purpose. Mine is just $125 combine bachelor and masteral and that evaluator is accredited by NACES, some asked for $250-$350 for combine credentials (Course-by-Course).

I do not yet receive the evaluations but I probably try my luck in what ever job available too. :) because it's hard to find teaching jobs.

From the application form i filled out, it says that after filing the form, il be able to receive the substi certificate after 8-10 working days. Yup the fee is $125 and $70 for fingerprinting. Good luck to us. Yeah any job will do. I will be very happy if i get a job soon,whatever it is.lol

Timeline

I am getting frustrated.

Good luck!!!

From the application form i filled out, it says that after filing the form, il be able to receive the substi certificate after 8-10 working days. Yup the fee is $125 and $70 for fingerprinting. Good luck to us. Yeah any job will do. I will be very happy if i get a job soon,whatever it is.lol

Can you give me an idea about substitute teacher certificate? What I did is credential evaluation as part of the requirements for licensing... I can use it for employment purpose but that is not a certification. If I am qualify for licensing examination I need the fingerprinting too. Here the fingerprinting is just $10-$15.

I know what you feel, we both working in the Philippines, buy whatever we want... then we are here jobless!!!

But we may not have a job as of now but we have someone who loves us... and we must be thankful for that. For sure we will have our luck.

5-20-2013 USC

5-20-2013 filled I-130

5-22-2013 NOA1

11-21-13 NOA2

12-19-13 Expedite request approved (forwarded 24 hrs from NVC to consulate) received case number and IIN

**** She could have the interview as early as Jan 7th but decided not on the rush for medical and for me to have time to forward all the document in the Philippines since I didn't pay or submit anything at NVC

1-8-9-14 Medical

1-30-14 Visa Received

**** We need my mom urgently but due of the cold weather in Minnesota, we decided to wait for warmer weather. She could be here as early as Feb....

3-21-14 CFO seminar

3-31-14 POE

4-7-14 received SSN #

Meryll got her asawa to Americanize her resume and help with applications and networking.

An employer spends about 6 to 10 seconds looking at your resume so a great resume is essential. The Elements of Resume Style is a low priced book we are using at the university.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

I am getting frustrated.

Good luck!!!

Can you give me an idea about substitute teacher certificate? What I did is credential evaluation as part of the requirements for licensing... I can use it for employment purpose but that is not a certification. If I am qualify for licensing examination I need the fingerprinting too. Here the fingerprinting is just $10-$15.

I know what you feel, we both working in the Philippines, buy whatever we want... then we are here jobless!!!

But we may not have a job as of now but we have someone who loves us... and we must be thankful for that. For sure we will have our luck.

My mother in law is a teacher in grade school and she advised me to take substitute teacher certificate so i can work in elementary school. It is easier to get a job. Try to google it "substitute teacher certificate"in your area. You can check it with the District school too.

Timeline

I am getting frustrated.

Good luck!!!

My mother in law is a teacher in grade school and she advised me to take substitute teacher certificate so i can work in elementary school. It is easier to get a job. Try to google it "substitute teacher certificate"in your area. You can check it with the District school too.

Thanks for the information about that. Good luck to us.

5-20-2013 USC

5-20-2013 filled I-130

5-22-2013 NOA1

11-21-13 NOA2

1-8-9-14 Medical

1-30-14 Visa Received

3-21-14 CFO seminar

3-31-14 POE

4-7-14 received SSN #

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi,

I am a teacher and used to be a substitute teacher. What I had to do was just go to the school district main office, ask about substitute teaching, and then they give you the application and things needed to fill out, then you pay the fees, attend some orientation meetings and safety meetings. You can apply to several different districts, if you are able to get to travel to different locations, and once you are in their system, they will call you to substitute.

You will probably start out just with day to day jobs. Sometimes the school systems have a phone system set up where you can call to see what jobs are available for that day and accept them. Once they become familiar with you and see how well you work with the children, a particular teacher may start to request you. Also, the principle can see how well you work and you will get more work, and possibly longer term assignments.

Depending on the district, you may only need a Bachelor's Degree to substitute. Down here in the south, you don't even need that. But to be a long term substitute, in one position for a semester, for example, you need to be highly qualified for that grade level. Again, sometimes there are exceptions. There are also substitutes for teacher's aides, which is another possibility.

Interestingly, I used to live in San Francisco, and there were a lot of teachers from your country working in the SF school district. They said that their training at home was aligned with the U.S.'s. Maybe things have changed.

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05
AOS sent: 05/16/2012
AOS received USCIS: 5/23/2012
EAD Delivered: 8/3/2012
AOS Interview: 08/20/2012.
Green Card Received: 08/27/2012

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014
ROC Biometrics Appt. 8/21/2014
ROC RFE 10/2014 Evidence sent 1/4/2014

ROC Approval Letter received 1/13/2015

Timeline
Hi,

I am a teacher and used to be a substitute teacher. What I had to do was just go to the school district main office, ask about substitute teaching, and then they give you the application and things needed to fill out, then you pay the fees, attend some orientation meetings and safety meetings. You can apply to several different districts, if you are able to get to travel to different locations, and once you are in their system, they will call you to substitute.

You will probably start out just with day to day jobs. Sometimes the school systems have a phone system set up where you can call to see what jobs are available for that day and accept them. Once they become familiar with you and see how well you work with the children, a particular teacher may start to request you. Also, the principle can see how well you work and you will get more work, and possibly longer term assignments.

Depending on the district, you may only need a Bachelor's Degree to substitute. Down here in the south, you don't even need that. But to be a long term substitute, in one position for a semester, for example, you need to be highly qualified for that grade level. Again, sometimes there are exceptions. There are also substitutes for teacher's aides, which is another possibility.

Interestingly, I used to live in San Francisco, and there were a lot of teachers from your country working in the SF school district. They said that their training at home was aligned with the U.S.'s. Maybe things have changed.

Hi thanks for the information, it helps.

5-20-2013 USC

5-20-2013 filled I-130

5-22-2013 NOA1

11-21-13 NOA2

1-8-9-14 Medical

1-30-14 Visa Received

3-21-14 CFO seminar

3-31-14 POE

4-7-14 received SSN #

Timeline
Hi,

Hi!thank you for your response. I will be applying for substitute teacher certification and hopefully il get a job. I only had an internship in montessori school for couple of months but my professional experience in teaching is actually in College.My major is Psychology. I hope there won't be a problem with it.

Have you tried this site:

http://www.careerjet.com/psychology-jobs/new-jersey-393.html

Just a thought....

-Phil

Times are tough right now here in the US. What type of job do you want? Try meeting others in your area and spend time talking with them.

Networking is your best bet now.

Let as many people as possible know you are looking and I am sure someone will have a friend of a friend who knows this guy....

Good Luck.

_Phil

I am getting frustrated.

Thanks Phil! I worked as Psychology Professor in Philippines. I know it won't be easy to land in the same job here in the states that's why I do not mind getting whatever job is available. It is really a big adjustment for me. I am here in New Jersey.

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Timeline
Have you tried this site:

http://www.careerjet.com/psychology-jobs/new-jersey-393.html

Just a thought....

-Phil

Thanks Phil! Is your wife working now?

Times are tough right now here in the US. What type of job do you want? Try meeting others in your area and spend time talking with them.

Networking is your best bet now.

Let as many people as possible know you are looking and I am sure someone will have a friend of a friend who knows this guy....

Good Luck.

_Phil

I am getting frustrated.

Thanks Phil! I worked as Psychology Professor in Philippines. I know it won't be easy to land in the same job here in the states that's why I do not mind getting whatever job is available. It is really a big adjustment for me. I am here in New Jersey.

Timeline

hi im also a former public school teacher from manila, I think teaching here vary diffending on what state you are. Im here in Indiana, in order for me to go back on teaching my TRO need to be evaluated by the State chosen Evaluator & I need to pass a test that would cost me $300 all. I tried to pass application to be teacher Aid but i was not legible because i need to pass para pro test. Its quite hard to get to teaching here but with patience & persistence maybe my time will come.

to find a job here in this tough times, i think volunteering will help you, try to find volunteer work in your church, in the community or in the nursing home.

I am getting frustrated.

Good luck!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi!thank you for your response. I will be applying for substitute teacher certification and hopefully il get a job. I only had an internship in montessori school for couple of months but my professional experience in teaching is actually in College.My major is Psychology. I hope there won't be a problem with it.

I had only my Bachelor's Degree in Fine Arts when I was a substitute teacher. I subbed for Preschool all the way up to 12th Grade, all subjects, plus Special Education. I later went back and obtained my teaching credential.

It is a bonus if you are willing to work in special education classrooms. They will be grateful for it and you will get more work. Most of my time I spent in Preschool Special Education classrooms. They always called me back and I even worked a long-term sub position. In fact, when I was applying for teaching jobs, one school district called me and interviewed me to work with Autistic children. I told them I didn't feel qualified, because I don't have a degree in Special Education, but they were very interested in me, probably because of my substitute experience. So, if you can get this experience, and take any courses necessary to get your U.S. Teaching Credential, I am sure you can find a job teaching. 50% of teachers quit within the first three years. There are indeed openings for teachers in the U.S. Especially for Special Education and ESL. And your Psychology Degree is very helpful in education. Also, in some districts, you can apply for lateral entry, if you are employed in the district in some capacity. You can apply for a teaching job, while attending classes and working to obtain your teaching credential.

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05
AOS sent: 05/16/2012
AOS received USCIS: 5/23/2012
EAD Delivered: 8/3/2012
AOS Interview: 08/20/2012.
Green Card Received: 08/27/2012

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014
ROC Biometrics Appt. 8/21/2014
ROC RFE 10/2014 Evidence sent 1/4/2014

ROC Approval Letter received 1/13/2015

Substitute Teachers in USA, don't need a degree. Just high school diploma.

Look into going back to school in USA.

Dental Hygenist make lots of money in USA, and is only a 2 year degree.

You can be a Registered Nurse in USA, it only requires a 2 year degree if you school in USA

You can be LVN (Licensed Vocational Nurse) in USA, it only requires 1 year of schooling in USA

You can be a CNA (Certified Nurse Assistance) in USA, it only requires a couple of months of schooling in USA.

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.