Steve S

Time to allow for airport transfer

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Here are my choices on my way home:

6:40 a.m. flight to DME, allowing 6 hours before my flight leaves from SVO.

Or

8:00 flight to Vnukovo, allowing just under 5 hours until my SVO flight.

The travel agent insists I should play it safe and take the earlier flight. However, playing it safe means getting up that much earlier and being that much more beat when I get home and go to work the next day (saving those precious days off!). Also, Vnukovo is a little closer than DME as I see it, and I don't remember it taking more than 1.5 hours -- 2 at most, last time I made the transfer at that time of day. But I don't remember for sure. I don't know if I can locate the ticket info to see how much time I allowed.

Usually in the states I will lie and give a flight time 40 minutes earlier if I call for a shuttle to the airport, since I have found them to be so over-conservative.

Which flight would you take to Moscow?

05/04/09 -- K1 visa, NOA-1

09/18/09 -- K1, NOA-2

01/26/09 -- Interview passed in Moscow

03/02/10 -- POE, JFK airport

05/23/10 -- Wedding!

11/16/10 -- 2-year green card approved

04/01/13 -- 10-year green card approved

11/23/13 -- N-400 mailed

Timeline
Here are my choices on my way home:

6:40 a.m. flight to DME, allowing 6 hours before my flight leaves from SVO.

Or

8:00 flight to Vnukovo, allowing just under 5 hours until my SVO flight.

The travel agent insists I should play it safe and take the earlier flight. However, playing it safe means getting up that much earlier and being that much more beat when I get home and go to work the next day (saving those precious days off!). Also, Vnukovo is a little closer than DME as I see it, and I don't remember it taking more than 1.5 hours -- 2 at most, last time I made the transfer at that time of day. But I don't remember for sure. I don't know if I can locate the ticket info to see how much time I allowed.

Usually in the states I will lie and give a flight time 40 minutes earlier if I call for a shuttle to the airport, since I have found them to be so over-conservative.

Definitely take the later flight - you have plenty of time to make it to SVO. When you calculate the transfer fees and other costs associated with hanging around an airport all day (bar tab) might it be cheaper to find a flight into SVO instead?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

FYI

They just opened SVO "Terminal D" that I think will eliminate the need to transfer from Terminal 1 (local flights) to Terminal 2 (international flights). I'll be happy to never have to make that transfer again...plus the rip-off taxi fare to go from one terminal to another. Last time I paid $60 but I imagine it's higher now.

Anyone else have more info on Terminal D?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
FYI

They just opened SVO "Terminal D" that I think will eliminate the need to transfer from Terminal 1 (local flights) to Terminal 2 (international flights). I'll be happy to never have to make that transfer again...plus the rip-off taxi fare to go from one terminal to another. Last time I paid $60 but I imagine it's higher now.

Here ya go:

SVO Airport

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
FYI

Here ya go:

SVO Airport

Good info. Thanks!

Timeline

Thanks - there is no flight from Magnitogorsk to SVO. Yes, I will be glad if I never transfer from SVO 1 to 2 again. You get ripped off on a taxi or it can be a miniature, confusing ordeal taking the bus (I think we have discussed before).

I think I had it backwards about airport shuttles in US but you know what I mean. Hate to wait around excessive time at the airport.

Aha, I found my previous itenerary in an email archive. 5 hours was in fact ample time from Vnukovo to SVO. I've heard DME is nicer, but not worth wasting more time to see it.

09/18/09 -- K1, NOA-2

05/23/10 -- Wedding!

11/23/13 -- N-400 mailed

Timeline

I wish ya luck and please report back when you make it. I'll have 6 hours to make it from one to the other both coming into Moscow en route to Ekaterinburg and the same coming back.

11/13/2009 -- Mailed I-129F

11/17/2009 -- Received NOA 1

02/10/2010 -- NOA 2 Mailed

02/16/2010 -- NOA 2 Received (via email)

02/19/2010 -- Petition forwarded to Moscow

04/23/2010 -- Scheduled Interview - SUCCESS

07/20/2010 -- Entrance to USA POE Anchorage

08/21/2010 -- Wedding

11/04/2010 -- Mailed AOS

01/25/2011 -- AOS Interview - SUCCESS

Member of the RUB group, where high horses meet low brows.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
FYI

VV, I think this is the info you're actually looking for ---

Delta's flights between Moscow and New York are scheduled to move to the new Terminal effective January 28.

A full schedule for the transfer of flights can be found here:

http://www.aeroflot.ru/ENG/about.aspx?ob_n...&d_no=35020

Timeline
I wish ya luck and please report back when you make it. I'll have 6 hours to make it from one to the other both coming into Moscow en route to Ekaterinburg and the same coming back.

I can't remember-- what dates are you flying?

The flights to/from Ekaterinburg are scheduled to switch to the new terminal on December 19.

Timeline

I can't remember-- what dates are you flying?

The flights to/from Ekaterinburg are scheduled to switch to the new terminal on December 19.

Yup, I'd gotten an email a week ago stating just that. I'm flying out the 28th.

11/13/2009 -- Mailed I-129F

11/17/2009 -- Received NOA 1

02/10/2010 -- NOA 2 Mailed

02/16/2010 -- NOA 2 Received (via email)

02/19/2010 -- Petition forwarded to Moscow

04/23/2010 -- Scheduled Interview - SUCCESS

07/20/2010 -- Entrance to USA POE Anchorage

08/21/2010 -- Wedding

11/04/2010 -- Mailed AOS

01/25/2011 -- AOS Interview - SUCCESS

Member of the RUB group, where high horses meet low brows.

The cheapest one. Either way, you have more than enough time.

Also, haven't you ever heard of sleeping on the plane?

Edited by slim

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
VV, I think this is the info you're actually looking for ---

Delta's flights between Moscow and New York are scheduled to move to the new Terminal effective January 28.

A full schedule for the transfer of flights can be found here:

http://www.aeroflot.ru/ENG/about.aspx?ob_n...&d_no=35020

Well.... I guess I should have known -- the day after I post a link to the transfer schedule, they move it.... and change it. The schedule can now be accesed from the Aeroflot home page..... but in typical Aeroflot fashion, it has now been changed in a way that makes absolutely no sense. According to the new schedule---

They are moving flights almost every day until the end of December

Then they move absolutely NO flights during the ENTIRE month of January

Then they begin moving flights again on February 1st.

The schedule shows them finished with the move on March 13, although the text accompanying the schedule still says everything will be finished by February 6th. I've sent an e-mail to the Aeroflot press center to ask if this newly posted schedule is actually correct. I'll let you know if I receive any response.

BTW, under the newly posted schedule, Delta and Aeroflot's Moscow-New York flights are scheduled to transfer to the new terminal on February 18.

Timeline

Yes. I have heard of sleeping on a plane before. I have seen it, and even done it myself. I sleep poorly sitting up in a coach class seat, and not at all waiting at an airport. I will pay a little more to start my trip back an hour or so later.

The cheapest one. Either way, you have more than enough time.

Also, haven't you ever heard of sleeping on the plane?

09/18/09 -- K1, NOA-2

05/23/10 -- Wedding!

11/23/13 -- N-400 mailed

I sleep poorly sitting up in a coach class seat, and not at all waiting at an airport. I will pay a little more to start my trip back an hour or so later.

This is why God invented alcohol. (Well, one of the reasons, anyway.)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Here you can find how to transfer between airports: http://www.aeroexpress.ru/en/

You don't even need to overpay for the taxi, which could get into traffic.

35 minutes between Vnukovo and Kievskiy Railway Station

45 minutes between Domodedovo and Paveletsky Railway Station

35 minutes between Sheremetyevo and Belorussky Railway Station

You will need to take subway to transfer between railway stations. However, I'm not sure...

BTW, Steve S, I'm from Magnitogorsk. :)

Edited by Diazy

Adjustment of Status

Dec 3, 2008 - Aug 20, 2009 (approval on August 7th)

Removing of Conditions

May 9, 2011 - October 4, 2011 (approval on September 28th)

Naturalization

July 19, 2014 - N400 packet sent out

July 21, 2014 - N400 packet delivered

July 23, 2014 - received email/text that I-797 is issued

July 26, 2014 - received I-797 in mail

August 11, 2014 - received the Biometrics notification

August 14, 2014 - biometrics walk-in (original date August 20)

August 18, 2014 - in line for interview scheduling

September 9, 2014 - yellow letter is received (letter is issued September 3)

November 3, 2014 - interview notice is issued (email/text alert)

November 10, 2014 - interview notice received with the interview date of December 11, 2014.

November 10, 2014 - request to reschedule mailed out

December 5, 2014 - interview notice is sent out (email/text alert)

December 11, 2014 - received an interview letter in mail

January 10, 2015 - interview on Saturday at 7am

January 26, 2015 - sent the requested documentation

February 26, 2015 - oath letter is issued (email/text alert)

March 2, 2015 - oath letter is received

March 18, 2015 - oath at 8am

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.