laura428

Anyone know tax implications of selling principal CDN residence?

21 posts in this topic

So, I've been doing a bunch of research on capital gains and stumbled upon something that's scaring the bejeezus out of me...

We bought our house in Calgary two years ago, right before the boom, and have seen a nice increase in it's value since. I know that if we were to sell and stay in Canada, we wouldn't have to pay capital gains tax because it's our primary residence. However, I just read something that... I *think*... says that we might have to pay if we leave Canada.

"If a resident of Canada moves to another country, and severs residential ties with Canada, he/she is deemed to be an emigrant of Canada for tax purposes. When this happens, the person is deemed to have disposed of almost all their property and re-acquired it at fair market value. Tax will be payable on any capital gains arising from the deemed dispositions."

via http://www.taxtips.ca/personal_income_tax.htm

Has anyone been through this? I'd appreciate any insight here, as the gains we've made were going to fund our new home plus our kids' college education. Please please please say this isn't so... :cry:

April 24, 2000 - Met in an online chat room

May 26, 2000 - Met in person

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

March 2001 - My permanent resident status is approved in Canada

April 28, 2001 - Married in my hometown, South Bend, IN

May 2, 2001 - Crossed Canadian border and finalized my landed immigrant status

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 2006 - The process of bringing my Canadian family to the States begins, so that my two beautiful children can learn about their whole heritage.

March 8, 2006 - I-130 approved in Calgary

March 21, 2006 - Received approval letter and Packet 3

April 17, 2006 - Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

April 20, 2006 - Packet 3 received by Montreal

July 6, 2006 - Received Packet 4

September 8, 2006 - INTERVIEW and APPROVAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I sold my apartment in Vancouver 3 months before I left the country (deal closed April 2005, I moved July 2005). It was my primary residence (I lived in it). I was told by a financial advisor that as it was my primary residence it was NOT subject to capital gains.

I received no tax submission slips for capital gains (which I've had before for investments) for this. I filed 2005 taxes without issue.

IMHO you can relax. However if you want to double check (and I suggest you do...you don't know me or anyone else here and this is finances! :) ), the International Tax office is amazing for answering questions for Canadians exiting the country. 1-800-277-5177

:)

edit: I didn't read your link. It would make sense to me though that from the little you quoted that if a person completes emigration (leaves the country) and then sells the property/home after leaving, then yes, capital gains apply...because it's not your primary residence any longer. Again, Revenue Canada should be able to clarify that. There may be some gray area about if it's on the market before you leave and then sells after.

Also, look around at Serbinski's tax forums: http://www.serbinski.com/ I'm sure something will be covered there.

Edited by ceriserose

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

I sold my apartment in Vancouver 3 months before I left the country (deal closed April 2005, I moved July 2005). It was my primary residence (I lived in it). I was told by a financial advisor that as it was my primary residence it was NOT subject to capital gains.

I received no tax submission slips for capital gains (which I've had before for investments) for this. I filed 2005 taxes without issue.

IMHO you can relax. However if you want to double check (and I suggest you do...you don't know me or anyone else here and this is finances! :) ), the International Tax office is amazing for answering questions for Canadians exiting the country. 1-800-277-5177

:)

edit: I didn't read your link. It would make sense to me though that from the little you quoted that if a person completes emigration (leaves the country) and then sells the property/home after leaving, then yes, capital gains apply...because it's not your primary residence any longer. Again, Revenue Canada should be able to clarify that. There may be some gray area about if it's on the market before you leave and then sells after.

Also, look around at Serbinski's tax forums: http://www.serbinski.com/ I'm sure something will be covered there.

Thank you SO much! I will definitely be calling that number on Monday - what a great resource.

Yeah... I'm wondering if the penalty comes only if you sell AFTER moving to the States. Our plan is to sell then move roughly 3-5 weeks later. We were also considering re-investing some of our profit in real estate here to take further advantage of the boom, but after reading a bit, I'm thinking we might be better to invest elsewhere with all of the taxes involved (it being a secondary property and living out of country). Perhaps more ?s for the International Tax office, eh? :)

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

February 2006 - The process of bringing my Canadian family to the States begins, so that my two beautiful children can learn about their whole heritage.

Hey, I just tried that number but instead of reaching the International Tax office, I got Home 1-2-3, a mortgage company...? Could you double-check that and let me know if it's a different number? Thanks!

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey, I just tried that number but instead of reaching the International Tax office, I got Home 1-2-3, a mortgage company...? Could you double-check that and let me know if it's a different number? Thanks!

Laura...

The number is 1-800-267-5177

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Nevermind... just Googled it myself. It's actually 1-800-267-5177. Now, if I could just get through. :whistle:

Edited by laura428

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

did you hear anything, laura? man, that's really going to suck if we have to pay capital gains. let me know what you find out - i'm going to ask our financial planner. he didn't mention anything about this before, but now i want to be sure.

Nevermind... just Googled it myself. It's actually 1-800-267-5177. Now, if I could just get through. :whistle:

did you hear anything, laura? man, that's really going to suck if we have to pay capital gains. let me know what you find out - i'm going to ask our financial planner. he didn't mention anything about this before, but now i want to be sure.

No worries. I was told that as long as you sell before you take up residence in the States, and that your house was 100% owned by you, i.e., you didn't rent out any portion of it, you're fine (just like you would be if you weren't moving out of country). It'll mean filling out a bit more paperwork at tax time next year, but you won't owe anything. (Can you imagine???????)

Here's a direct link w/more info:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4037/t4...ml#P4419_154030

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

FYI, last year, I sold my house in Toronto and moved to the States after the closing. Acccording to my cross-border tax preparer, it was "a non-taxable event." It did not appear in any way on my tax return.

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

thanks for the info - i did check myself, and was told the same thing. thank goodness!

No worries. I was told that as long as you sell before you take up residence in the States, and that your house was 100% owned by you, i.e., you didn't rent out any portion of it, you're fine (just like you would be if you weren't moving out of country). It'll mean filling out a bit more paperwork at tax time next year, but you won't owe anything. (Can you imagine???????)

Here's a direct link w/more info:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4037/t4...ml#P4419_154030

If you are considered a US resident for tax purposes for the entire year, and you have lived in the house less than 2 out of the past 5 years, then it may be subject to tax by the IRS.

http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq-kw127.html

But if we're not residents the entire year (only the last three months of 2006, potentially), then this shouldn't apply, right? I took a look at the links and publications included, but didn't see anything specifically addressing someone who only lives in the States for part of the year.

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

Here is a good starting point.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/intern...d=96392,00.html

It's kind of complicated your first year.

Thank you, but question... the above link applies to non-USCs, but I am the USC in this case, sponsoring my husband. (Doing DCF - we're both residing outside of the States right now.) I'm trying to find info that's relevant to a USC, living outside of the States as a landed immigrant and owning property there, selling said property and moving back to the States for the last three months of the calendar year. The property is jointly owned by my husband (alien-to-be) and myself, yes, but the only tax info I've seen thus far is for non-USCs. I'm sure we'll have an interesting time filtering through all of the info relevant to him, but I can't seem to find a starting point for me.

Will I, as a USC, be subject to capital gains tax for selling my foreign principal residence, 100% owned (read: not rented out), but also not lived in for a full two years (built and moved in January 2005)? It seems that if this is the case, no one in their right mind would sell their property and move to the States within the same calendar year. :huh: If it turns out that we WILL owe, I'd like to find out asap as we may very well postpone our move to avoid it.

I tried calling the IRS help line earlier today - thinking that might be my best option for an accurate answer as our case is a bit complicated. Of course, it rang ten times then disconnected... :blink:

Edited by laura428

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.