newhampshire

How do you change address of foregin spouse?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

QUOTE(Libersolis @ Jul 22 2006, 02:24 PM) *

Hi quick question.. My wife is moving in september to live with her parents until the visa comes through. Can I just call the USCIS and update her address?

________________________________________________________________________________

I had this problem too.

I called the USCIS to provide them with the new address, but they would not let me change my husband's address (he's in Canada).

They said that I had to contact the US Consulate where he is in Canada.

I don't understand. That does not help if they and/or the NVC will be sending him a packet directly once the I130 is approved. I tried to explain this to the USCIS person on the phone, but they would NOT take his new address or address change. She got very upset with me, and just kept repeating that I had to contact the US consulate (even though we had no contact with the US consulate yet as we were still waiting for an NOA2 on our I130).

So we wrote to the consulate, providing the new address - but I doubt that the US consulate informs the USCIS and NVC of new addresses of spouses.

So how do we change the address of our foreign spouse? I don't want my I130 finally being approved and sent to the NVC only for the packet sent directly to my husband (the beneficiary) being sent back because of the wrong address.

I'd appreciate any help on this, for myself and the original poster. Thanks!

ticker.png

ticker.png

ticker.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
QUOTE(Libersolis @ Jul 22 2006, 02:24 PM)

Hi quick question.. My wife is moving in september to live with her parents until the visa comes through. Can I just call the USCIS and update her address?

I had this problem too.

I called the USCIS to provide them with the new address, but they would not let me change my husband's address (he's in Canada).

They said that I had to contact the US Consulate where he is in Canada.

I don't understand. It does not seem that this would help if they and/or the NVC will be sending him a packet directly once the I130 is approved. I tried to explain this to the USCIS person on the phone, but they would NOT take his new address or address change. She got very upset with me, and just kept repeating that I had to contact the US consulate (even though we had no contact with the US consulate yet as we were still waiting for an NOA2 on our I130).

So we wrote to the consulate, providing the new address - but I doubt that the US consulate informs the USCIS and NVC of new addresses of spouses.

So how do we change the address of our foreign spouse? I don't want my I130 finally being approved and sent to the NVC only for the packet sent directly to my husband (the beneficiary) being sent back because of the wrong address.

I'd appreciate any help on this, for myself and the original poster. Thanks!

Edited by evergreen

Approval Dates:

I130 Approved (NOA2) 7/20/06 (144 Days)

I129 Approved (NOA2) 8/24/06 (41 Days)

Documents we have so far:

Criminal/police record check.

Immunization records/medical history (including negative Tb, HIV, syphyllis, etc).

Chest x-ray.

His birth certificate (long form).

Our marriage certificate.

My divorce decree.

Our passports.

Wedding photos, cards, credit cards, health insurance, evidence of legitimate marriage.

Notarized I-134 and supporting documents.

Notarized I-184 and supporting documents.

Five additional passport photos each.

Questions: See "Married on Visitor Visa"post

Filed: Other Timeline

*BUMP*

I emailed our counsulate to get this change for my foreign fiancee as well, and they said they couldn't change it, that I would have to notify someonehere. any thoughts from people who have actually changed the foreign fiancee's address?

David and Marina

USCIS Accountability Starts Here With Your Help!

http://www.petitiononline.com/USCIS/petition.html

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
*BUMP*

I emailed our counsulate to get this change for my foreign fiancee as well, and they said they couldn't change it, that I would have to notify someonehere. any thoughts from people who have actually changed the foreign fiancee's address?

Yes. Has anyone out there changed the address of their foreign spouse while the visa application was pending or in processing?

If the customer service number won't do it and the consulate won't do it, who does? I read a transcript on a website of government hearings on the Chicago office, and Senators and Congressmen (and women) were saying that one of the most common complaints they had was that the USCIS just couldn't seem to update an address, and that it practically took an act of Congress to get an applicant's or beneficiary's address corrected and or updated.

:help:

Please share whatever information you have on how to get this done. The USCIS may not be sending anything to our foreign spouses yet, but eventually things will be mailed to them and I want to get the correct address out in advance of that!

Thanks! :dance:

Greener

Approval Dates:

I130 Approved (NOA2) 7/20/06 (144 Days)

I129 Approved (NOA2) 8/24/06 (41 Days)

Documents we have so far:

Criminal/police record check.

Immunization records/medical history (including negative Tb, HIV, syphyllis, etc).

Chest x-ray.

His birth certificate (long form).

Our marriage certificate.

My divorce decree.

Our passports.

Wedding photos, cards, credit cards, health insurance, evidence of legitimate marriage.

Notarized I-134 and supporting documents.

Notarized I-184 and supporting documents.

Five additional passport photos each.

Questions: See "Married on Visitor Visa"post

Does ANYONE know the answer to this question?

It depends on where are you in the process. If it is at the NVC, then you can phone/email/fax NVC, if it is at the USCIS, call USCIS, if it is at the consulate, contact the consulate.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.