copel008

H-1B Canadian, just married United States Citizen

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone!

I am an H-1B visa holder from Nova Scotia, Canada, who has been living and working in the United States since October 2004. After three years of being together, my fiance and I (now my husband!) just got married on November 7, 2009.

My H-1B does not expire until October 2010, but I thought that I had better get a start on the green card application process. After doing my research on this site, online and on the USCIS website, I have two questions and I hope that someone can definitively answer them for me:

1. As an H-1B holder who is currently working in the US and whose H-1B does not expire until October 2010, do I HAVE to also submit forms I-765 (EAD) and I-131 (Advance Parole) with my I-485 (AOS) and I-130, or is the I-485 and I-130 sufficient? I have read on here that some people have done it both ways. With my H-1B good until October 2010, do you think that gives me enough time to get approval before my H-1B expires? I do not want to be unable to work, but I also don't want to have to file unnecessary forms.

2. Do I need to complete a medical and submit the results with my I-485 (AOS) and I-130?

Many thanks for your help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I may be wrong but as soon as they accept your petition for AOS I believe your H-1B is invalid?

EAD allows you to work before you get your green card.

AP allows you to travel before you get your green card.

If you file AOS and then leave the country you abandon your AOS. Have to start all over again and risk not being allowed to enter again. AP is a must for AOSing and traveling before getting the green card.

- Yes you need a full medical completed by a civil surgeon.

You might want to post your question in the canada regional forums. Someone may have a better answer but that is what I see from doing a search.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline
I may be wrong but as soon as they accept your petition for AOS I believe your H-1B is invalid?

If you file AOS and then leave the country you abandon your AOS. Have to start all over again and risk not being allowed to enter again. AP is a must for AOSing and traveling before getting the green card.

You might want to post your question in the canada regional forums. Someone may have a better answer but that is what I see from doing a search.

No, actually the H-1B is a "dual intent" visa. It remains valid while you apply for a change of status

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No, actually the H-1B is a "dual intent" visa. It remains valid while you apply for a change of status

Then basically if you know the answer to your questions why ask them?

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Hello everyone!

I am an H-1B visa holder from Nova Scotia, Canada, who has been living and working in the United States since October 2004. After three years of being together, my fiance and I (now my husband!) just got married on November 7, 2009.

My H-1B does not expire until October 2010, but I thought that I had better get a start on the green card application process. After doing my research on this site, online and on the USCIS website, I have two questions and I hope that someone can definitively answer them for me:

1. As an H-1B holder who is currently working in the US and whose H-1B does not expire until October 2010, do I HAVE to also submit forms I-765 (EAD) and I-131 (Advance Parole) with my I-485 (AOS) and I-130, or is the I-485 and I-130 sufficient? I have read on here that some people have done it both ways. With my H-1B good until October 2010, do you think that gives me enough time to get approval before my H-1B expires? I do not want to be unable to work, but I also don't want to have to file unnecessary forms.

2. Do I need to complete a medical and submit the results with my I-485 (AOS) and I-130?

Hey Copel008,

Congratulations on your recent marriage...

As for the EAD I think it's up to you really - depends on your circumstances. It's free to file and only a 1 page form. I would probably apply for it as a safe guard. Just in case of the unlikely event your H1B employer laid you off... If you had an EAD you could find another job. Or alternatively if a better job opportunity emerges after you have your EAD you'd be free to take it.

Also while many people get their GC in months and you will more than likely have it by 10/10... A few are not so lucky and take a while.

As for the AP i believe you can still travel on your H1B but i'm sure someone with more expertise will be along soon to verify.

For the medical USCIS' website has a Civil surgeon search engine where you can find your nearest ones and book your medical. The results go in a sealed envelope that you mail with the I-485. My medical took 3 days to complete.

Good Luck!!!

Nov 6, 2012 N-400 mailed

Nov 7, 2012 N-400 delivered to Phoenix lockbox, signed by Arndt & case priority date

Nov 9, 2012 Case Touched, NOA date

Nov 13, 2012 Got text/e-mail with case number & the check was cashed :)

Nov 14, 2012 Case updated online to say biometrics apt. notice is on its way!

Nov 16, 2012 Received NOA & biometrics apt. letter

Nov 28, 2012 Biometrics apt.

Jan 4, 2013 In line for interview!

Jan 5, 2013 Scheduled for interview!

Jan 10, 2013 Received interview letter

Jan 19, 2013 Received yellow letter dated 1/16 asking me to bring more passport pics to the interview

Feb 11, 2013 Interview

Mar 8, 2013 Got an online update - oath scheduled!

Mar 13, 2013 Oath letter received

Mar 22, 2013 Oath! Officially an American citizen!

Hello everyone!

Congratulations on your marriage! I am also an H-1B visa holder and I filed the applications last month. You do not have to submit I-765 and I-131 since most likely you will get GC by Oct 10. The fee for both these forms are already included in your I-485 ($1010). So you will not lose anything by filing these forms now. You can also file these later for no cost. Since you are on H-1B you do not need AP to travel outside the country.

I applied I-130, 485 and 765 but did not apply for I-131

You will also need I-693 and that can be obtained through any civil surgeon in your area. It would cost you anywhere between $150-$400 depending on the vaccinations you already have.

Adjusting from H-1B

10/14/2009 Mailed I-130/485/765/693/864 to Chicago lockbox

10/16/2009 Reached Chicago

10/23/2009 Checks cashed

10/26/2009 NOA for I-130/485/765 dated 10/23/2009

10/26/2009 I-130/485/765 Touched

11/04/2009 I-130/765 Touched

11/24/2009 Received Biometric appt notice for 12/4/2009 and the notice is dated 11/6/2009

12/04/2009 Biometrics done

12/04/2009 I-485/I-765 Touched

12/04/2009 EAD card production ordered 1st Email

12/07/2009 I-485/I-765 Touched

12/09/2009 EAD card production ordered 2nd Email

12/10/2009 I-765 Touched

12/15/2009 I-765 Touched and email that says approval notice has been mailed

12/16/2009 I-765 Touched

12/16/2009 Received EAD card

12/18/2009 Received IL letter to appear for interview on 01/22/2010

12/31/2009 I-485 Touched

01/07/2010 I-485 Touched

01/22/2010 Interview- APPROVED

01/22/2010 Welcome letter sent and I-130 approval letter sent email

01/25/2010 I-485/I-130 Touched

01/27/2010 Card production ordered Email

02/01/2010 Welcome letter and I-130 Approval letter received

02/02/2010 I-485 Approval Email

02/04/2010 GC arrived in the mail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
Hello everyone!

Hi I am replying to your query as I was also on H1-B got married in April 2009. My H1-B is going to expire in 2010 as well. Now let's go to your questions

--> I-130 and I-485 you must file, now I-765 you would file if you would need work permit (so that you could work for any company without restrictions in US), I filed it just in case if there are any complications with AOS process and it doesn't get approved before October 2010 then at least I have a work permit to continue working. Is there enough time to get approval, I can't say that, yes there is for sure enough time to get EAD and AP but for AOS no one can guarantee that (in most cases yes you have enough time but it's case by case basis). I-765 is a very easy form to fill and I don't think that you should skip on that (plus it's free of cost if you are filing it together / or with an AOS application).

Yes you do need to file I-693 medical using a civil surgeon for your 485.

Good Luck.

rahul

Timeline
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naturalization N400...

01/16/2015 --- Package Sent

02/18/2015 --- Fingerprints done

=====================================================

Timeline
Hello everyone!

Hi I am replying to your query as I was also on H1-B got married in April 2009. My H1-B is going to expire in 2010 as well. Now let's go to your questions

--> I-130 and I-485 you must file, now I-765 you would file if you would need work permit (so that you could work for any company without restrictions in US), I filed it just in case if there are any complications with AOS process and it doesn't get approved before October 2010 then at least I have a work permit to continue working. Is there enough time to get approval, I can't say that, yes there is for sure enough time to get EAD and AP but for AOS no one can guarantee that (in most cases yes you have enough time but it's case by case basis). I-765 is a very easy form to fill and I don't think that you should skip on that (plus it's free of cost if you are filing it together / or with an AOS application).

Good Luck.

Hello everyone!

Good Luck.

Awesome! Thanks so much for your great advice and help!

I would strongly recommend that you do file your EAD and AP. Its free with the application. So why not.. If you do get laid off, although unlikely. You do have proof of work authorization.

"It is Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" - Some smart dude

-------------------------------------------------

K Visa Timeline

-------------------------------------------------

Visa Journey

3/20/2008: I-129F Sent

8/6/2008: Approval Notice

10/14/2008: VISA Approved!

10/24/2008: POE

--- AOS ---

4/14/2009 - Interview with USCIS... APPROVED! Day 92 since receipt of USCIS AOS

-- I-751 Waiver Application ---

1/18/2011 - I-751 Waiver Application mailing to cSC

3/23/2011 - I-751 Divorce Waiver Approved - 10 Year Card in the mail!

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline
I would strongly recommend that you do file your EAD and AP. Its free with the application. So why not.. If you do get laid off, although unlikely. You do have proof of work authorization.

I am going through the same process, and I need help with the I-131 form. I am a U.S. citizen and my husband (just married) has valid H1-B until 10/2010. We are planning on submitting the whole AOS package together soon(I-485, I-130, I-131, I-765). We are planning on quitting our jobs and go traveling for a while in June 2010.

on I-131, what do I put for Part 2. Application Type: (the only sensible answer for us is a or d)

a. I am a permanent resident or conditional resident of the United States, and I am applying for a reentry permit.

d. I am applying for an advance parole document to allow me to return to the United States after temporary foreign travel.

any help will be appreciated!

thanks,

Edited by Jessy08

on I-131, what do I put for Part 2. Application Type: (the only sensible answer for us is a or d)

a. I am a permanent resident or conditional resident of the United States, and I am applying for a reentry permit.

d. I am applying for an advance parole document to allow me to return to the United States after temporary foreign travel.

any help will be appreciated!

thanks,

Hi Jessy, I put `d' - I was adjusting from a work visa too based on marriage to a US citizen...

Good Luck!

Nov 6, 2012 N-400 mailed

Nov 7, 2012 N-400 delivered to Phoenix lockbox, signed by Arndt & case priority date

Nov 9, 2012 Case Touched, NOA date

Nov 13, 2012 Got text/e-mail with case number & the check was cashed :)

Nov 14, 2012 Case updated online to say biometrics apt. notice is on its way!

Nov 16, 2012 Received NOA & biometrics apt. letter

Nov 28, 2012 Biometrics apt.

Jan 4, 2013 In line for interview!

Jan 5, 2013 Scheduled for interview!

Jan 10, 2013 Received interview letter

Jan 19, 2013 Received yellow letter dated 1/16 asking me to bring more passport pics to the interview

Feb 11, 2013 Interview

Mar 8, 2013 Got an online update - oath scheduled!

Mar 13, 2013 Oath letter received

Mar 22, 2013 Oath! Officially an American citizen!

• 3 months later...
Timeline

Hi Rahul -

Did you send your I-765 (EAD) in the same package as your I-485/I-130/I-131? In my USCIS instructions, it's a bit confusing, but it seems to be telling me to send EVERYTHING (I-485/I-130/I-131, etc.) to Chicago Lockbox, but then for my location (Florida) it seems to be telling me to swend the I-765 (EAD) to Vermont.

Help!

Thanks,

Leah

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.