ms_jinga_lala

POE's from India

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

I'm trying to get an idea of how things are going to work after approval when my fiancee has his visa. (just planning for the best) I've been trying to figure out the best way to get him here so that I can meet him at his POE. I've checked on several different flight options and no matter what I search for or which location I put as destination they all seem to be going through JFK, NY. (I live on the east coast) So that leads me to some questions.

If his flight goes through and stops at JFK will they do all the POE stuff there before he gets on his next flight?

Is there any other POE that you all know of that we can get him on a flight out of Delhi directly to that POE instead of JFK?

I know when I went to see him the plane stopped in Delhi and they just kept us in a room and didn't process us for anything. However, coming back here I flew into JFK and they did all the visa checking there then let us go about our own business until we left on our own.

January 2009 - K-1 Denied by the consulate

January 2011 - Moved to India - Yikes!

October 2011 - DCF filing rejected by overzealous employee at the embassy

December 2011 - Tourist visa denied (not surprising)

March 2012 - CR1/IR1 process started

May 1, 2012 - RFE and some of our information was entered into the computer wrong by the CSC

Read about all the shenanigans of my relationship at American Punjaban PI

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

POE is the first stop within the U.S. He will clear immigration there and then take a connecting flight if needed. Most people on the East Coast fly into JFK/EWR. Make sure to have some time b/w the connections so that even if there is a delay at immigration, he will not miss his connecting flight.

Good luck!

P.S. Air India just started a Delhi-Washington flight, if that works for you.

These depends on what the flights are. My husband (then fiance) flew Air India from JFK to Calcutta via Delhi. He was therefore cleared for immigration in Calcutta since Delhi was only a technical stopover.

However, when I flew from JFK on Jet, I had to clear customs and immigration in Mumbai b/c that was the flight path. I had a domestic connection to Calcutta. Work it out in this way.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Timeline

Thank you! I did check into the Washington flight but it seems to go through JFK lol. I'm trying to get his landing as close to here as possible because he wants me to be at his POE and then we go the rest of the distance together. JFK is like an 8 hour drive or so (which I think may be needed with all the stuff he wants to bring lol...not sure they allow that much luggage on US Airways, they sure didn't when I flew)

May 1, 2012 - RFE and some of our information was entered into the computer wrong by the CSC

Timeline

Well, I don't know if this will work for you but maybe you guys can stay the night over at the Mariott by JFK. Or is it Newark? It was $95 for a king size double bedroom the last time I stayed there. Drive to NYC. Pick him up from the airport. Order room service and enjoy yourselves at the hotel! Sleep in. And then you can drive back together the next day.

I'm also trying to chart out my flight plan. I need to get from Calcutta to South Bend, Michigan. So that's either Chicago or Detroit. Doubt there's a non-stop flight to either of those.

Edited by sachinky

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

how about Charlotte airport via Frankfurt on US Airways from Delhi. If that is closer for you to drive.

Otherwise you would have to drive/fly. If you are driving then he can get a direct flight to JFK.

rahul

Timeline
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naturalization N400...

01/16/2015 --- Package Sent

02/18/2015 --- Fingerprints done

=====================================================

Timeline
Well, I don't know if this will work for you but maybe you guys can stay the night over at the Mariott by JFK. Or is it Newark? It was $95 for a king size double bedroom the last time I stayed there. Drive to NYC. Pick him up from the airport. Order room service and enjoy yourselves at the hotel! Sleep in. And then you can drive back together the next day.

I'm also trying to chart out my flight plan. I need to get from Calcutta to South Bend, Michigan. So that's either Chicago or Detroit. Doubt there's a non-stop flight to either of those.

That is a good idea. I hate driving though....that's my problem lol. I'm just trying to figure out what is going to work out best for the both of us. I can only afford to take so much unpaid personal leave off of work to go get him. I'm not sure I'm going to get that approved either. I'm just trying to minimize the impact and I don't really want to drive 8 hours one day and then have to do it again shortly after. I'm bad..I know lol.

how about Charlotte airport via Frankfurt on US Airways from Delhi. If that is closer for you to drive.

Otherwise you would have to drive/fly. If you are driving then he can get a direct flight to JFK.

Will he need any kind of special permission or a visa to enter Germany if he does that? I'm not sure he would accept that either. He's never flown. He's never really left home other than a bus ride to his aunts house which doesn't really count lol. She doesn't live that far away, he could even return the same day if he wanted. He so nervous about all of this, I'm trying to soften the blow as much as possible.

I know Air India offers a direct flight from Delhi to JFK (I've taken it) and his family plans to take him to Delhi so they can all see him off from there. I've looked for any other direct flights to other airports but I've been unable to find anything that doesn't stop at JFK.

The problem really lies in that if they do any kind of interview process at the first airport he lands at he wants to know I'm outside waiting for him when he gets done. I don't have a problem with that, however this time off work thing is going to be a challenge. On all the flights I've checked so far they stop @ JFK then he gets another flight from there to whichever airport. He doesn't want to do that alone. How could I say no to meeting him lol. (Just fussing for a min....he totally didn't meet me in Delhi and I had to deal with that on my own but he says he can't pick up a connecting flight, he needs me at his first stop...bleh....and I know how he feels cause Delhi totally SUCKED for me...long story.) I feel like saying no would be cruel no matter what the reason - to both of us. Knowing he is so close and I could have shortened our wait to be together by a few hours is going to be torture. I don't want him having issues in NY like I had in Delhi and I know if he lands there he is going to have to change airports to come here. How can I leave him in a strange country and a strange city (even to me) and tell him find the ppl at the airport who sell bus tickets to the other airport all by himself. It just seems like something he shouldn't have to go through alone if he doesn't have to you know.

This whole situation is complicated. I need to win the lottery and quit work. I should have started playing like I mentioned months ago when I got my USCIS approval lol. Ugh.

Timeline

Umm, you could take the Greyhound if you absolutely hate driving. But if he has a lot of bags that'd be painful.

No, he will not need a visa for Germany. Those are layovers, you just wait in transit.

I was gonna say you need to ask him to man up. But if he's never flown before, that could be kind of scary. So try and assure him that POE's usually aren't a big deal. And it's not like you can meet him at immigrations and customs, any way. No matter what you will have to wait outside the arrival gate. JFK is a busy airport but they go through the passengers quickly. I've been through it countless times.

event.png

Timeline
Umm, you could take the Greyhound if you absolutely hate driving. But if he has a lot of bags that'd be painful.

No, he will not need a visa for Germany. Those are layovers, you just wait in transit.

I was gonna say you need to ask him to man up. But if he's never flown before, that could be kind of scary. So try and assure him that POE's usually aren't a big deal. And it's not like you can meet him at immigrations and customs, any way. No matter what you will have to wait outside the arrival gate. JFK is a busy airport but they go through the passengers quickly. I've been through it countless times.

Oh believe me, so many times I have wanted to tell him man up lol. On the other hand I know him well enough to know that he's just a big nervous mess. He is really a spoiled kid I hate to admit. Before we got engaged he had never went anywhere alone (not even the 11 KM to his aunts house). He tells me all the time he's just a kid, but I don't think so. I know him well enough to know that he's just had everyone do everything for him and now he knows he has to change all of that. I'm working on him lol.

However, I worry some too. I went through Delhi and had a horrible time. It was my first flight ever and when I got there the people who led us in barely spoke English, and when they did it wasn't very well. That I could deal with, but they wouldn't give me my ticket, they just kept telling me to wait. It came time to get on my connecting flight to his city I still didn't have my ticket and I was panicking. That was only the worst part of all that happened while I was there. I was about to lose it and I'm a really strong willed person. I really don't want him to have to go through that and I don't think he could handle it. The changing airports thing worries me a little too. There are so many things I think are going to make this transition rough on him at that airport, not to mention the below 0 weather when he's coming from it being much warmer and he won't likely have a jacket to deal with that kind of stuff. (Did I mention part of his spoiling is my fault lol....omg.)

I told him I can't be at the back with him when they interview him and all of that, he said that was okay, he would just feel comforted knowing I was close by. I really want to be there. I kind of have an idea of taking the vacation and shopping in NY. It could be a lot of fun. Then if I drive I can stop at my moms and they can meet him. Then stop at my dads later and he can meet him, then go home. Of course, if I could get him a direct flight into Washington, that would be equally as good but less hours on the road. Ugh...I know I'm stuck with it lol. I'm going to have to do it, it will be worth it, but I can still fight to try to drive less.

Thank you so much for your response. If I get him the layover somewhere else he won't be so worried about some things. I can talk to him about that.

Thank you! I did check into the Washington flight but it seems to go through JFK lol. I'm trying to get his landing as close to here as possible because he wants me to be at his POE and then we go the rest of the distance together. JFK is like an 8 hour drive or so (which I think may be needed with all the stuff he wants to bring lol...not sure they allow that much luggage on US Airways, they sure didn't when I flew)
How about try booking flights to CLT or RDU (through combo of airlines)?

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Come on

It's not that bad, you can ask him to come and read the advice here or foward it to him.

The best scenario is for him to Fly to JFK, that will be his POE and also he has a good chance of getting the Temporary EAD.

Since it may be a little bit too fussy for him, that will make it a little bit difficult.

1st) Make his reservation from India to Raleigh North Carolina as his final destination with a Connection to JFK

So you can have Mumbai or Delhi to JFK then JFK to RDU

One option

Get his flight from India to RDU through JFK and get the flight number so you can schedule to take the same flight from JFK for both of you to go back to North Carolina.

This option will save you on the Luggage issue, For international flight he's still allowed to carry 2 suitcases (50lbs) TO THIS FINAL DESTINATION ON ONE TICKET.

But if he breaks the trip in between then he will fall under US airline regulations where he has to pay $20 1st bag, $25 2nd Bag depending on the airline.

If funds is not a factor

You can fly out to JFK the morning of his flight, pick him up, rent a car, get a hotel, then spend the night in the city and both of you fly back to Raleigh the next day.

$180 Flight

$80-100 Car rental

$120 Hotel for 1 night stay

$45 Domestic luggage fees

So looking around spending an additional $400-500 going that route, you can show him the options, and let him decide,

Baby, look at the options, if you go through it to JFK by yourself, It will be best for both of us, I'll be waiting for you to drive you home when you lend in Raleigh. We can use that money and that extra time for a little getaway instead.

My fiancee went through JFK and it was a breeze, you give the officer the envelope and he/she will ask you to follow him to another room that look like a parking ticket courtroom except there's no judge but officers sitting behind the podium, the officer that walk you to the room will give them your brown envelope and they will ask you to take a seat.

Later on they will call you to give you back your passport, with the I94 inside along with the Temporary EAD stamp, then the officer will remind you , you have to get married within 90days and have a nice day.

That part is the easiest of all.

Once he's done with Immigration, there are lot of people there from custom/Airline to help him getting his luggage to his final destination it's less than 2 hours flight, about 1hr 35 to 1hr 50min.

Gone but not Forgotten!

Timeline

Also to add on let him know this as well...

1. Pass through Immigration (ALONE) whether its JFK or anywhere else.

2. Pass through Customs (ALONE)

only thing that you could help him with would be

1. Either pick him up at JFK and drive back home. (expensive and painful driving)

2. Fly to JFK, Pick him up at JFK, help check-in domestic and fly back home. (more expensive a little bit less painful)

or the best...

3. Pick him up at domestic airport. (not expensive, not painful)

Choice is yours actually his lol.

rahul

Timeline
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naturalization N400...

Timeline
Come on

My fiancee went through JFK and it was a breeze, you give the officer the envelope and he/she will ask you to follow him to another room that look like a parking ticket courtroom except there's no judge but officers sitting behind the podium, the officer that walk you to the room will give them your brown envelope and they will ask you to take a seat.

Later on they will call you to give you back your passport, with the I94 inside along with the Temporary EAD stamp, then the officer will remind you , you have to get married within 90days and have a nice day.

That part is the easiest of all.

Once he's done with Immigration, there are lot of people there from custom/Airline to help him getting his luggage to his final destination it's less than 2 hours flight, about 1hr 35 to 1hr 50min.

That's helpful, thank you! I tried the money thing, he told me he was going to pay for all of my trip and his as well lol. So that didn't work. As for luggage, I also thought about if I fly up to meet him, I would only need a small bag, so I could take a mostly empty bag and move some of his stuff into mine to avoid over limit fees. I've thought of some of those options.

Timeline

Lol, I just told him some of this stuff and now he's asking me if I can get a train up to meet him and then we come back here by train. OMG....he's tough man...lol.

Timeline

If money is no issue than I don't think there is anything to discuss about, choose what is most convenient to you and pick him up from JFK. He is not going to have it any other way anyways.

rahul

Timeline
Naturalization N400...

It seems a little bit hard headed so if money is not the issue fly out to JFK take a room for the night and fly back the next day

The luggage issue has nothing to do with overweight, Domestic and international weight limit is now $50 lbs.

The airlines now charges for EACH BAG you check in. So don't intend on trying to bring some of his suitcase because you will only only unnecessary charges assuming you spend the night in NY

But If you make sure his flight goes all the way through Raleigh, all you can do is meet him up at the airport and fly back home. Either way it's up to you,

1)You can fly out the day before and spend the night in NY, then meet him at the airport for your flight back to NC

2)Come to meet him him the same day, meet him in NY at JFK and spend the night with him in NY then fly out to NC the next day.

3)Fly out to NY(avoid car rental and hotel but more stressfull) catch his flight and both of you fly back to NC, with that option you'll be too tired for any TLC :D . so his choice

4) Meet him in NC itself, (Painless, and you'll be Fresh up for some TLC if he's not jet lag :rolleyes:

Edited by Nikita2Charles

Gone but not Forgotten!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.