Eli

Vancouver POE

11 posts in this topic

This is mostly just a curiousity question, but I was wondering if anyone entered the US through immigration at the Vancouver Airport. What was the experience like, and particularly, were you issued an EAD? I know technically you're supposed to get the EAD when you enter the States, but in reality this varies with each POE. I'm a long way from this stage, still waiting for NOA2 (sigh), but just trying to figure out if I can increase my chances of getting that EAD without too much fuss. Thankies! :D

K-1

March 24-06------I129F sent to NSC

March 27-06------NOA1

...5 Months of waiting b/c of IMBRA ridiculousness...

September 5-06--APPROVED!! 162 days!

September 09-06-Received NOA2

January 03-07----Medical and Interview in Vancouver - APPROVED!! 285 days from filing!

January 04-07----POE at Vancouver Int'l Airport

January 12-07----Wedding Day!

AOS & EAD

February 20-07---AOS, EAD sent to Chicago

February 27-07---NOA1

March 15-07------Biometrics Appointment

May 09-07------AOS Interview - Approved pending new sponsor.

June 11-07-------Approved & Green Card Issued

Removal of Conditions

May 11-09--------I-751 Sent via FedEx Overnight

May 15-09--------Receipt date on I-797

June 16-09-------Change of Address Confirmed

...one giant address change/biometrics fuxxup later...

July 28-09--------Biometrics taken (walk-in)

July 29-09--------Touched :)

August 13-09---APPROVAL EMAIL!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have not heard of getting the EAD's at the POE but that does not mean it cant happen. I came through Edmonton and did not have one single problem :) good luck

May God's Grace be all you will ever need ticker.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'll let you know how it goes ...

I am flying out of Vancouver (YVR) on Tuesday July 25, 2006 and will be activating my K-1 Visa there ...

Only 3 more days .... wooooohoooo !!

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

I am flying out of Vancouver (YVR) on Tuesday July 25, 2006 and will be activating my K-1 Visa there ...

Congratulations, Waiting!! :dance: I'm eager to hear how it goes for you. Did you make a review of your interview at the Consulate?

K-1

March 24-06------I129F sent to NSC

March 27-06------NOA1

...5 Months of waiting b/c of IMBRA ridiculousness...

September 5-06--APPROVED!! 162 days!

September 09-06-Received NOA2

January 03-07----Medical and Interview in Vancouver - APPROVED!! 285 days from filing!

January 04-07----POE at Vancouver Int'l Airport

January 12-07----Wedding Day!

AOS & EAD

February 20-07---AOS, EAD sent to Chicago

February 27-07---NOA1

March 15-07------Biometrics Appointment

May 09-07------AOS Interview - Approved pending new sponsor.

June 11-07-------Approved & Green Card Issued

Removal of Conditions

May 11-09--------I-751 Sent via FedEx Overnight

May 15-09--------Receipt date on I-797

June 16-09-------Change of Address Confirmed

...one giant address change/biometrics fuxxup later...

July 28-09--------Biometrics taken (walk-in)

July 29-09--------Touched :)

August 13-09---APPROVAL EMAIL!

Timeline

Congratulations, Waiting!! :dance: I'm eager to hear how it goes for you. Did you make a review of your interview at the Consulate?

I sure did ... If you go to the embassy Reviews and search for Canada you will find my review that I put up on June 10, 2006 ... Be prepared to read alot as I got a little out of hand and rambled on ... :)

K-1 VISA

AOS / EAD

I-751

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Since you're still in the long-off planning stages, a tip most Vancouverites know about flying is that if you can get yourself to Seattle, WA, flight prices within the continental US drop by a few hundred $$. (For example it was going to cost me $900 to fly from Vancouver to Salt Lake City, but only $329 from Seattle to Salt Lake City.)

The cost of a train/bus ticket is small (or even renting a car...Seattle is about 2 hours from downtown Vancouver) and the POE at Peace Arch (the main driving one) asked me if I had the form filled out for my EAD on entry. (I didn't intend EAD at the beginning, so I didn't have the form.)

Anyway if the EAD through the POE is important to you, that's a fairly viable option, depending on your destination. :)

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Timeline
Since you're still in the long-off planning stages, a tip most Vancouverites know about flying is that if you can get yourself to Seattle, WA, flight prices within the continental US drop by a few hundred $$. (For example it was going to cost me $900 to fly from Vancouver to Salt Lake City, but only $329 from Seattle to Salt Lake City.)

The cost of a train/bus ticket is small (or even renting a car...Seattle is about 2 hours from downtown Vancouver) and the POE at Peace Arch (the main driving one) asked me if I had the form filled out for my EAD on entry. (I didn't intend EAD at the beginning, so I didn't have the form.)

Anyway if the EAD through the POE is important to you, that's a fairly viable option, depending on your destination. :)

Ya I was lucky I managed to get a one way ticket from Vancouver (YVR) to O'Hare (Chicago) for only $260.00 from Air Canada / United ... and what paperwork would a person have to have filled out for the EAD on entry ??

Edited by Waiting in Vancouver

K-1 VISA

AOS / EAD

I-751

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The guides tab has it above under the adjustment of status info. It's the same form you fill out if you want EAD when you're applying for AOS. (I-765 I think but I filled it in almost a year ago and my memory's flaky.)

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

well, you probably won't get your EAD, but travelling through customs is pretty easy. When I went through the agent that helped me did not know how to process the K1, so he called his female assistant to help him do it. I said to him jokingly *ask the man in charge or the woman who knows what's going on* he smiled and said *careful, you haven't had your passport stamped yet* we all had a good laugh, and it softened the tension a bit, as it was a hard day for travel, as there was a mishap at the Chicago airport and everything was backed up and people were cranky, and we barely made our flight after standing in the lineup for 2 hours. the only thing I would suggest is you get there early, as it takes a while to process. And also the consulate at Vancouver is so nice and helpful, you won't have any problems if you have all your paperwork. Best of luck.

AOS, EAD, AP, filed on Feb 8, 2006

NOA received Feb 18, 2006

Biometrics done on Apr 21, at St. Paul office..wait some more......

Touched on April 24 and 28

email aproval for AP on May 1

email approval for EAD on May 3

received AP on May 3

received EAD in mail on May 8

start work of June 1

AOS interview in Bloomington on July 19 8am

AOS approved,passport stamped on July 19

as of Dec 10, 2006 still no greencard....waiting and waiting....USCIS says we are approved, and check back in 60 days...no idea what is happening

Dec 18, email stating welcome letter is in the mail

Dec 20, 5 emails saying they ordered production of my new card......

Dec 24...welcome to America letter in the snail mail

Dec 26...GC in hand and all is correct...

NOTE TO SELF..file to lift conditions 04/19/08

04/22/08 filed to lift conditions

05/01/08 package returned wrong form

05/05/08 re-submitted right form to california

05/09/08 cheque cashed

05/13/08 NOA

05/19/08 appointment letter for biometrics received..appointment on 05/28/08 at 11 am at USCIS St. Paul

05/28/08 took my two appointment letters and had my fingerprints done

11/13/08 touched and email stating card production ordered and will be sent to me in 30 days

11/21/08 GC in hand no mistakes expires 11/13/18

Timeline
This is mostly just a curiousity question, but I was wondering if anyone entered the US through immigration at the Vancouver Airport. What was the experience like, and particularly, were you issued an EAD? I know technically you're supposed to get the EAD when you enter the States, but in reality this varies with each POE. I'm a long way from this stage, still waiting for NOA2 (sigh), but just trying to figure out if I can increase my chances of getting that EAD without too much fuss. Thankies! :D

The PFIs in Canadian airports tend not to issue the temp EADs -- let me amend that statement -- I have yet to hear of a PFI in Canada issuing a temp EAD stamp. The only airport I hear that is still doing it on a regular basis is JFK in NY.

If Vancovuer is anything like Calgary, clearing immigration is a breeze. :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.