Matt_Stevens

Confusion on form to fill out for Visa exemption

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Some of my fellow teachers are claiming that those exemptions are single entry. Any truth to that?

Love the 2 week processing time on your end Matt! Send me a PM when you get here. We'll head over to The Big Grill and talk politics. :D

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of my fellow teachers are claiming that those exemptions are single entry. Any truth to that?

Love the 2 week processing time on your end Matt! Send me a PM when you get here. We'll head over to The Big Grill and talk politics. :D

Not sure why they would call it a 5 year exemption if you could only use it once...but will let you all know when I receive it. should be in the next week.

Timeline

Not sure why they would call it a 5 year exemption if you could only use it once...but will let you all know when I receive it. should be in the next week.

I agree, but you really never know with this place. Thanks in advance for letting us know.

Edited by Mr. Saigon

Here's an update for folks looking at the visa exemption. Plan WAY ahead! the website says 7 days. Nope. I sent mine in on 20 October and they now tell me it will be ready to mail on 20 or 23 November. Plan on a month+ to get it back.

OK, here's the long-awaited update.

This worked absolutely NOTHING like the website that we often reference here on this subject. This was an agonizing process from which I learned a lot. First and foremost, I recommend that you visit and read the Vietnam Embassy website on this subject here. If you can't read Vietnamese, get your SO to read it to you. It has pretty much the ACTUAL rules for this.

My learnings:

1. It took 1 month for me to get my passport back with the visa exemption and I think I only got it back now because I e-mailed them once or twice a day at the end. Forget about 7 day processing.

2. It does not cost $20 as we have previously read...it is $30.

3. You will not necessarily get a 5 year exemption. Mine is for 3 years and 4 months. I think it is because they stop the validity 1 year before your passport expires, at least that's what happened with me.

4. It IS multiple entry...that's the good news.

5. Don't bother calling the embassy at the phone number that they publish. They don't answer the phone. But they do read and respond to e-mail.

Happy to answer other questions on this.

Timeline

Now I'm hearing that you still have to leave the country every 3 months to get your passport stamped, for those of you that plan on staying long term. Don't see anything about it in the regs though. Thanks for the update Todd.

Now I'm hearing that you still have to leave the country every 3 months to get your passport stamped, for those of you that plan on staying long term. Don't see anything about it in the regs though. Thanks for the update Todd.

That's right. I forgot to mention that. The exemption states that it is for 90 days maximum per entry.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Todd and Hien: Did you guys mail in an extra $10??? How is it $30 when the website clearly says $20???

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

If you look at the embassy website, it says $20 for the exemption and $10 for processing. However, they did not tell me about the extra $10 until the visa exemption was approved and in my passport and they were getting ready to mail it. I am out of time and needed my passport back for an upcoming trip so I begged them to mail the passport to me and I would send them another $10. They actually did that and I sent them $10 yesterday.

Matt, you would be well-served to send them another $10 now so you don't have a delay at the end. Once your exemption runs out and you get a new passport, you can send in and get another exemption. See the embassy website rules.

Filed: Timeline

Well, today I received my passport back, with the visa in it. Looks like I don't have to send in another $10. They also sent me back one of the two photos for reasons unknown.

The visa is good until six months prior to my passport's expiration date in 2012 and it clearly states multiple entries in English, so looks like I am good to go.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.