lbounds

Non-Catholic to marry Catholic Filipina in US

29 posts in this topic

So I'm a Christian and my bride to be is Catholic. She wants to be married in a Catholic chapel in the US which is perfectly fine with me.

I'd assumed that it would be easy to find a Cathlolic chapel in a nice city. I had the idea we would take a short trip to Colorado or some place nice, meet family there for the weekend and have our service in the Catholic chapel.

Now that I start looking for places I see it's not as easy as all that. The several Catholic chapels I looked at that do weddings both in Colorado and California have all kinds of requirements and restrictions. Not like a Christian wedding.

Some of them require you to be a member of the local parish or bring your own priest with you ! Some of them had other requirements like if I am a Christian to show a baptism certificate. I've been baptised at least 3 times in my life but don't know if I have a paper certificate. Some of them required a letter from your local priest. One Catholic chapel required attending a marriage seminar first. All of them I think required 6 months advanced notice, which isn't possible to know the date for me yet.

Well after everything else we go through I actually thought arranging a wedding in a Catholic chapel would be one of the easy parts.

I'd like to get married in a Catholic chapel some time after my wife to be gets here next year...

Anyone gone through this before and have any suggestions on making that part simpler for a Catholic wedding in the USA ?

K1 timeline :

1/11/10 - I-129F sent to California Service Center

1/19/10 - NOA1

2/18/10 - moved and changed address on USCIS site

2/19/10 - touched

3/10/10 - touched

3/10/10 - NOA2, hardcopy recieved 3/12

3/16/10 - Left NVC, recieved MNL case #

3/22/10 - USEM recieved

4/19/10 - Passed Medical

4/28/10 - Interview - Approved

4/30/10 - Picked up Visa and completed CFO

5/5/10 - POE - Honolulu, Hawaii

5/6/10 - married in Hawaii

AOS timeline:

7/8/10 - received SSN Card

7/16/10 - reported US marriage for RP records

10/18/10 - AOS delivered in Chicago

10/25/10 - NOA1

11/04/10 - Biometrics Letter Received

11/23/10 - Biometrics Completed

11/24/10 - touched

11/26/10 - touched

02/14/11 - AOS approved at Interview, GC ordered

02/22/11 - GC arrives in mail

ROC Timeline:

12/17/12 - I-751 sent to California Service Center

12/20/12 - NOA1 arrives in mail

1/14/13 - Biometrics appointment

4/11/13 - RC Approved at Interview

4/22/13 - 10 Year Green Card arrived in mail

event.png

Always Thankful for God's blessings on our lives..

Honestly, not being smart...just convert! If you're not Catholic and have proof that you are, I don't think you're going to find any Catholic church that's going to marry you.

-USCIS-

COMPLETED - March 9th, 2010

-NVC-

CASE COMPLETE - April 2nd, 2010

-INTERVIEW-

APPROVED - May 18th, 2010

POE - Detroit, June 11th, 2010

GREEN CARD - July 21st, 2010

SS CARD - August 13th, 2010

-ROC-

I-751 Sent March 23rd, 2012

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

Biometrics Appt. April 27th, 2012

Bio done early - April 18th, 2012

ROC Approved - September 12, 2012

10 Year GC - September 17, 2012

Yes, both parties should be a catholic in order to be wed in a catholic church. If you were baptized already in a catholic church, you try to request for a baptismal certificate from the parish where you had your baptism. If not, then you still have the time to be baptized in a catholic church before your wife will get there. Once you are baptize you can visit your nearest parish, attend the mass, get to know your parish priest and then later you can request for a letter from your parish priest that you can get married in any catholic church. As far as i know, they require this to make sure you haven't been married in a catholic church before. And yes the church will also require you to attend the pre-nuptial seminar to discuss about the sacrament of matrimony. I don't know how long is the pre-nup seminar here in the US but in the Phils. it took us 2 days. I suggest you inquire about this so you can plan ahead of time. If time is really an issue, try to talk to your priest and i am sure they will do what they can for you guys.

Congratulations and best wishes to both of you. :)

ZlYHm6.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

yes you can but you might not have time right away so you have a civil marriage with local judge and then you do the seminar class for the catholic and then it can take time for the wedding but at least your love has what she always wanted i know friends that had to do it that way

baptismal and confirmation certificates are required from both parties if you are going to get married in a catholic church

[/size][/color]

7jrbir.png

TIMELINE I-130

June 29, 2009 - sent packet I-130

July 9, 2009 - received NOA1 (thanks God)

Sept. 9, 2009 - received approval email from USCIS thru CRIS

Sept. 14, 2009 - NOA2 hardcopy received by husband

Sept. 18, 2009 - case number assigned (NVC process starts)

Nov. 4, 2009 - CASE COMPLETE @NVC!

Nov. 13, 2009 - interview date assigned by NVC

DEC. 10, 2009 AT 6:30AM

re scheduled DECEMBER 1, 2009- INTERVIEW - white slip (passport and medical results from st. luke

Dec 14, 2009 - VISA received

Dec 21, 2009 - USA arrival (POE - San francisco)

Jan. 6, 2010 - SSN received

Jan. 7, 2010 - 2 years GC received

THANKS GOD AND MOTHER MARY FOR ALL THE GUIDANCE.

We wanted to get marry in a catholic church too. We are both catholics, but the church wanted us to attend classes for 6 months before they can perform the ceremony. We didn't have time for this procrastination since we got only 90 days. We got married at the court house instead.

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It's not necessary that both of you should be catholic. My husband's brother-in-law is not catholic but married in catholic with my sister-in-law.

I have my traditional catholic church wedding. And, yes, it's so complicated here. You need to have some sort of psychological exam, counseling, and attend pre-cana.

But you can inquire in church near your place. Ask their requirements, and tell them your situation, they might help you on what to do with the process. But the process took a bit longer. In my situation, my husband have our schedule six months before the wedding.

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Try calling the offices of the Catholic diocese you live in and explain the situation to them. Tell them you'd rather have a simple wedding officiated by a Cathoic priest than resort to marriage by a civil official and see what they say.

You could also look for a parish run by the Jesuits. They seem to know all the rules and the ways to get around them when presented with a good reason to do so. That's what my wife and I did. We were allowed to marry less than two months after her arrival here. We still had to fulfill the marriage preparation class requirement, so it made for a tight schedule leading up to our wedding, but it was worth it to start our marriage in church instead of at the courthouse.

Worst case, you could get married in the Christian church you are currently a member of, then join a Catholic parish and have your marriage blessed by a priest (otherwise known as convalidation). That was our backup plan.

Edited by jsnearline

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

I got married to my wife in the philippines..she is catholic and i am not...yet at least. I dont think you will be able to be married in a catholic church in the US. There was a lot of stuff i had to do just to be able to marry my wife in a catholic church. There was paperwork we had to do for mixed marriage and the arch bishop had to sign the paperwork so we could get married. This was on the priest's recommendation after an interview with him.

I'm not going to say it is impossible, but it will take a lot of work to do it. Good luck and congrats on the wedding.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Catholics,

What a strange and weird religion. They seem to turn a deaf ear on all the children the Priest Sexually Abuse, but they are all about the rules when it comes to getting married.

My Opinion:

Have her become a Christian

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Catholics,

What a strange and weird religion. They seem to turn a deaf ear on all the children the Priest Sexually Abuse, but they are all about the rules when it comes to getting married.

My Opinion:

Have her become a Christian

You know what, you are the most dumbass person I ever know here in visajourney. You comprise of what I known as an idiot american. You don't have respect at all.

Yes! You are entitle with your own opinion but it doesn't mean giving you privilege to humiliate and disrespect other people's belief.

If you are against of Catholic, ignore and shut-up your crappy mouth.

And.. oh.. by the way, make a good research if you know how to. There are more religious non-Catholic leaders that abuse and makes people's life miserable here in US which lead most of them to atheism or cult.

Catholic priests are human.... they are capable of getting mistakes. You don't have deep understanding of our religion, and you don't know how those things deal by our religion.

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

Here we go......

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

Filed: Timeline
Catholic priests are human.... they are capable of getting mistakes. You don't have deep understanding of our religion, and you don't know how those things deal by our religion.

Molesting or abusing a child is not just a simple mistake...

Those people that do that ought to be shot. :thumbs:

Instead, The Catholic church tends to just 'transfer' them to somewhere else and then hide the facts about what happened...

It is VERY clear how the Catholic church 'deals' with these offenders.

Try pulling your head out of the sand so you can see! :whistle:

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

The OP didn't ask for opinions of whether his desire to marry in a Catholic Church is a choice all VJ members would approve of. He was looking for advice on how to go about it. Please don't hijack the thread. If you want to talk about the priest sex abuse scandal, then take it to the Off Topic forum.

Edited by jsnearline

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.