carvin317

Hotels -- Vancouver

6 posts in this topic

Looking for an affordable, but nice place to stay that is within walking distance of the consulate for our interview :)

The Skytrain line is only about a block away from the Consulate, so bear in mind that you don't necessarily need to find something right by the location -- just something along the Skytrain line might be cheaper and broaden your options.

I've always lived in the Vancouver area, so haven't rented any hotel rooms downtown. There are quite a few hotels in that general area though. The Marriott Pinnacle and the Renaissance are both on the same block, but might be a bit pricey. Unfortunately, Vancouver is a very pricey city, so most of what's right around that area will be upwards of $100 per night. Your best bet may be the Days Inn, which is a block and a half away.

Otherwise, if you're open to things along the Skytrain line (which is really quite fast and convenient), there are many hotels that are much cheaper and still within twenty minutes of the Consulate (ride time plus walking time).

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

I stayed at the Marriott Pinnacle. It was just around the corner from the Consulate. Pricey for most...my daughter however works for Marriott so I get a deal. A few people have stayed at the Days Inn. Everything in Vancouver, like any big city, is pricey. Agree with Wyatt's Torch...if you don't mind taking transit, then cheaper ones are further away, but still accessible.

Try hotwire or priceline for cheaper deals. Remember you can get your visa the next day in Vancouver, so you'll need two nights stay.

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Another thing I should point out is that thanks to the newest leg of the Skytrain line, you really don't need to hire a taxi or rent a car -- you can go straight from the airport to the downtown core via Skytrain rapid transit. I was at the Vancouver airport a couple months ago and was amazed at how integrated Skytrain is to the terminal. It's literally right there.

So yes -- I recommend finding a hotel along the Skytrain line as opposed to right downtown if you want to save $30 - $40 on a hotel.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency. Look at hotwire.com, look for hotels in Downtown Vancouver West I think it was, and pretty much any hotel there will be close to the Consulate.

I-751 file: 11/07/11

NOA1 date: 11/10/11

Biometrics: 11/30/11

Approval: 08/17/12

Hold what you got and maintain.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

There are four hotels within close walking distance:

Those hotels are listed in order of closest to furthest from 1095 West Pender Street. I don't know how expensive any of the rooms are, but if you have AAA or CAA membership, you can usually get a somewhat lower price. You could also choose a non-refundable reservation as those generally cost a lot less, too.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.