CountingDays

I am LOSING it with NVC

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

I seriously feel like im in some sort of evil twilight zone with NVC that just never ends. AFTER TELLING ME MY MOTHERS CASE WAS COMPLETE, I called them yesterday (because I dont trust them anymore, and need to check up on them ALL the time), anyway-after I called them yesterday to ask for the official date of the case's completion they tell me that after all the case is not complete and they want an original birth certificate. This is after MONTHS of going back and forth with NVC supervisors that yes, indeed Russia is an EXCEPTION to the original birth certificates rule, and that they do take certified copies for Russia.

I cant take this anymore. Two months spent on the stupid birth certificate issue. Endless hours on the phone with NVC. You CAN NOT DHL documents establishing identity out of Russia, my parents tried. DHL said that even if they dont declare the documents are in the envelope, customs will check the package and will confiscate the birth certificates. In the country like Russia-good luck getting them back after that.

They are using as an excuse the fact that the origin of the birth certificate is now its own separate country that is no longer part of Russia. Me trying to argue that it does not matter, because my parents ARE in Russia, and therefore have to send the documents from there which is ILLEGAL is not good enough for NVC.

WHAT THE HECK AM I SUPPOSED TO DO.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Wait a minute, did NVC send your mom a letter of invitation for an interview?

Also, don't stress about original. They say that you can send a certified copy. How about notarizing it at the local notarius in Russia and then translating it into English and sending it to NVC this way? Make sure it says "certified copy" or "certified translation". I mean, I haven't gone myself through the whole process yet, but that's what seems to be the general consensus among other Russians.

Edited by Oksana81

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Get a notarized copy of Birth Certificate and then certify it with apostil at local office of Russian Ministry of Justice, they will accept that.

More info here:

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ап...;ль

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciproc...ocity_3656.html

Timeline
Wait a minute, did NVC send your mom a letter of invitation for an interview?

Also, don't stress about original. They say that you can send a certified copy. How about notarizing it at the local notarius in Russia and then translate it into English and send it to NVC this way? Make sure it says "certified copy" or "certified translation". I mean, I haven't gone myself through the whole process yet, but that's what seems to be the general consensus among other Russians.

No, they did not send the letter. They told me on the phone case looked good and looked completed, that they just had to get the supervisor to put the official completion date on it. So I called two days later to follow up-and was told case not completed after all, want birth certificate.

What do you mean dont stress about original? How can I not stress about it when I have literally spent the last two months getting constant NVC emails and stupid RFE's asking for this original AFTER i had been told by supervisors that NO YOU SHOULD NOT BE ASKED FOR IT. So finally now the supervisors are saying I do need the original after all. The way it was originally sent to NVC- certified and notorized JUST LIKE THEIR IDIOT SUPERVISORS TOLD ME TO DO.

Timeline

CountingDays, I am sorry, I meant that it will ok and will be resolved :unsure:

Master 5 suggested a good idea about apostile. The only thing I don't know if they can put an apostile on the copy...

Also try getting a notarized copy with a certified translation.

I know, the whole process it nerv wracking...

Timeline
CountingDays, I am sorry, I meant that it will ok and will be resolved :unsure:

Master 5 suggested a good idea about apostile. The only thing I don't know if they can put an apostile on the copy...

Also try getting a notarized copy with a certified translation.

I know, the whole process it nerv wracking...

i know, im sorry if i sound angry, i know you mean that with reassurance :-( i am just SO upset. I am losing hope. I am just sitting here crying. If i told you the story from beginning to end, how NVC has been messing up on my case, you arent even going to believe it. Svolochi.

They have lost my paperwork TWICE. Im talking mail sent express with tracking number, showing proof of delivery on the USPS website. They have wrongfully told me things, misinformed me in every way possible. Their supervisors have completely contradicted each other in regards to my case. And now this?! Right when they gave me the supposed good news that the case was done?!

The birth certificate sent has the notorized translation as well as the apostile.

Timeline
Master 5 suggested a good idea about apostile. The only thing I don't know if they can put an apostile on the copy..

They can and they will. Just make the photocopy of the document, notarized it with any local notary (notary should be registered with Ministry of Justice), then go to the local office of Ministry of Justice for an apostil stamp on the back of the copy (takes 3 days and 300 rubles per copy). Translation from Russian to English is not required to be certified, but it's the case for any other languages other than Russian.

Timeline
Master 5 suggested a good idea about apostile. The only thing I don't know if they can put an apostile on the copy..

They can and they will. Just make the photocopy of the document, notarized it with any local notary (notary should be registered with Ministry of Justice), then go to the local office of Ministry of Justice for an apostil stamp on the back of the copy (takes 3 days and 300 rubles per copy). Translation from Russian to English is not required to be certified, but it's the case for any other languages other than Russian.

that's what NVC says, but if you read Moscow's Embassy rules, it says that they do require translations from Russian into English... Who to believe?

Timeline

Master-thank you for your suggestion! So, this will work even if, say the document's origin is Kazakhstan or Georgia? I know this may be a dumb question, but I just have to ask.

And-what is the ministry of justice called in russian, do you know?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

that's what NVC says, but if you read Moscow's Embassy rules, it says that they do require translations from Russian into English... Who to believe?

Wait folks. He's dealing with NVC not with the Embassy, correct?

NVC is in the US and I would think they would want a translation.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

What I said is that "translation from Russian to English is not required to be certified", it can be a non-certified translation. But I personally made notary certified translations of all documents since it was just a little more $.

I think it's wiser to follow the Embassy's guidelines, not NVC:

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/medical/MOS-ME...L-0001-0903.pdf

Timeline

Master-thank you for your suggestion! So, this will work even if, say the document's origin is Kazakhstan or Georgia? I know this may be a dumb question, but I just have to ask.

I'm not sure if it will work for non-Russian documents. It worked for me with Russian documents though. Ministry of Justice = Министерство Юстиции.

Timeline

I'm not sure if it will work for non-Russian documents. It worked for me with Russian documents though. Ministry of Justice = Министерство Юстиции.

Thank you. Here is what I want to say: The bottom line NVC is making is that they want the ORIGINAL. What has been sent to them is notorized, certified and has an apostile. If they are questioning THAT, I promise you they will question the version you are suggesting as well, simply because they keep repeating like a broken record that they WANT THE ORIGINAL.

the point is- they are idiots, and must understand that I cannot provide an original and they must let it go. What was submitted to them is sufficient and the originals will be brought in to the intervew in Moscow. Period.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
What I said is that "translation from Russian to English is not required to be certified", it can be a non-certified translation. But I personally made notary certified translations of all documents since it was just a little more $.

I think you are wrong. I will say it again. You are dealing with NVC not the Embassy. The Embassy's rules do not apply to NVC, only to Moscow.

The USCIS's requirements

Translations. Any document containing foreign language submitted to the Service shall be accompanied by a full English language translation which the translator has certified as complete and accurate, and by the translator's certification that he or she is competent to translate from the foreign language into English.

NVC is in the US. They speak English there (and maybe other languages but very little Russian).

I believe you are making a grevious error by not sending translations. Did you send translations with the original petitions?

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

I think you are wrong. I will say it again. You are dealing with NVC not the Embassy. The Embassy's rules do not apply to NVC, only to Moscow.

The USCIS's requirements

Translations. Any document containing foreign language submitted to the Service shall be accompanied by a full English language translation which the translator has certified as complete and accurate, and by the translator's certification that he or she is competent to translate from the foreign language into English.

NVC is in the US. They speak English there (and maybe other languages but very little Russian).

I believe you are making a grevious error by not sending translations. Did you send translations with the original petitions?

I think what he meant was that he sent the translations, but they were not certified.

Edited by Oksana81

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.