Candy/SadanNasir

Acceptable Income for I-134 affidavit for K-3 intervew

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello, I have two questions. The first one concerns the acceptable income for the affidavit of support (I-134) at the K-3 (spouse) interview. My income for 2009 is just above the requirement for my state. This income consists of university stipends, which are non-taxable, paid internship which is taxable and income from my part time job on campus.

**80% of my income for 2009 is non-taxable.

I have the documentation needed to support all of this and plan on submitting it with the packet to my husband. I also plan on providing him with tax transcripts for the last three years, as an extra measure.

In your experience, what is the likely hood that this income will prove acceptable, should my husband be asked to present the I-134 during the course of the interview next year?

**co-sponsor is not possible

**I"m a year from graduation and may not work full time at the moment.

Please offer your opinion and suggestions, should we not have a good chance here.

Second question, has anyone experience with the K-3 interview for spouse at the American Embassy in Islamabad, Pakistan? The general consensus seems to be that officers vary from one institution to another; some request the affidavit some do not. Of course bringining all documents and associated forms is the only way to arrive either way.

Please offer your experience.

Peace

CMN

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hello, I have two questions. The first one concerns the acceptable income for the affidavit of support (I-134) at the K-3 (spouse) interview. My income for 2009 is just above the requirement for my state. This income consists of university stipends, which are non-taxable, paid internship which is taxable and income from my part time job on campus.

**80% of my income for 2009 is non-taxable.

I have the documentation needed to support all of this and plan on submitting it with the packet to my husband. I also plan on providing him with tax transcripts for the last three years, as an extra measure.

In your experience, what is the likely hood that this income will prove acceptable, should my husband be asked to present the I-134 during the course of the interview next year?

**co-sponsor is not possible

**I"m a year from graduation and may not work full time at the moment.

Please offer your opinion and suggestions, should we not have a good chance here.

Second question, has anyone experience with the K-3 interview for spouse at the American Embassy in Islamabad, Pakistan? The general consensus seems to be that officers vary from one institution to another; some request the affidavit some do not. Of course bringining all documents and associated forms is the only way to arrive either way.

Please offer your experience.

Peace

CMN

well lets address this all at once.

First, it is true that consulates vary on how they approach affidavits. Some more or less ignore them while some audit them for accuracy it seems. I have no personal experience with Islamabd but there is an active Islamabad thread here you can check there and the embassy reviews. My guess is they do not ignore them or gloss over them.

Your husband WILL need to present an affidavit of support, it is not an "IF".

Your income? Living stipends for students are not excluded from consideration, taxable or not, provided you have documentation. That's the good news. Bad news? Consulates do not HAVE to accept it...they CAN accept it. Big difference. Why would they not accept it? Because you are a year from graduating and presumeably will lose this stipend...it is not permanent. It would be no different than if 80% of your income was unemployment benefits...yes it is income (it is even taxable) and it may exceed the guidelines, and it is not specifically excluded from consideration, but it is routinely disregarde and I am not aware of any case that were approved with unemployment as the main source of income.

Both of your other jobs are subject to termination upon you finishing school also. You have no "permanent income" to show. I strongly suggest you find a co-sponsor.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.