antda

Canadians in/from Toronto, Canada!

97 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
:lol:

I don't think it was Purdy...I would remember that name (one of my fav Canadian authors was Al Purdy)

One of my English teachers told me about Al Purdy. She was at one of his poetry readings and, as usual, he was sh*t-faced. Ever the gentleman he didn't proposition her for sex, he asked her to marry him. :lol: I seem to recall that Al Purdy broke out of jail once too. :thumbs:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Something happened in Toronto last night that really upset me.... A friend of a friend (I didn't know the victim personally) was beaten to death and run over by 4 men in the Entertainment District. He happened to be gay, and it could *possibly* be a hate crime but the police will not yet speculate that it was in fact a hate crime, but it's possible. To hear about something like that in TO.... I mean you hear about hate crimes against gays in the Southern US, but rarely in Canada. It really made me so sad :( and for my friend too, who lost a good friend.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/arti...n-man-s-killing

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

From Toronto....Brampton more specifically...We just like to say Toronto b/c ppl dont usually know where Brampton is :P

Went to U of T for Bachelors Degree...then went to UWO for my Masters Degree. Now im back home...and waiting for my VISA!!!

this is exactly WHY they need to do VISA processing in T.O. There are so many ppl close to T.O!!

Case Completed @ NVC: June 16th 2009

Medical in Toronto: Nov 3rd 2009

Interview in Montreal: Nov 16th 2009: APPROVED!!

Case completion to Interview: 5 long months!

ENTRY to US: November 23rd 2009 @ Pearson Airport

SSN received January 2010

PR card received January 2010

as1cF3I0g410500NDA5NjlsfDAwMDA4N2x8SW50ZXJ2aWV3IGluIE1vbnRyZWFs.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
From Toronto....Brampton more specifically...We just like to say Toronto b/c ppl dont usually know where Brampton is :P

Went to U of T for Bachelors Degree...then went to UWO for my Masters Degree. Now im back home...and waiting for my VISA!!!

this is exactly WHY they need to do VISA processing in T.O. There are so many ppl close to T.O!!

AMEN.

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Timeline
Hi Everyone,

I was reading the VJ posts here on the Canada forum and couldn't help but notice that there are quite a number of Canadian VJers have travelled through and/or are actually from Toronto, Canada...

So I was thinking: Why don't we start a message thread about this Canadian city?

Who knows, maybe this will help other VJers here too to learn more about Toronto too....

Anyone else from Toronto? Anyone else interested in talking about Toronto?

What do you like about Toronto? What do you hate about Toronto?

What places do you like to visit in Toronto? What places would you like to visit?

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc. about the big city of T.O. here on this message thread!

Happy Toronto Travels!

Ant (A former Torontonian...)

I'm originally from Brampton. Spent lots of time in Toronto when I was a kid. Rush concerts at Maple Leaf Gardens every New Years Eve. Summer concerts at the EX. Ahhh those were the days.

I loved driving around the different districts in TO. The food you could get was awesome. It almost made up for the horror of having to drive around. Spadina was one of my favorite places.

I suppose I should be thankful for the driving experience I got from driving around TO; Driving around the Twin Cities is a pain.

What do I miss most about back home? I loved pubs....they just don't seem to have thesame atmosphere here....and English Style fish and chips.

Ken

LPR since 2003 and will be applying for Naturalization soon. Currently working on I-130 for my son.

Timeline
Something happened in Toronto last night that really upset me.... A friend of a friend (I didn't know the victim personally) was beaten to death and run over by 4 men in the Entertainment District. He happened to be gay, and it could *possibly* be a hate crime but the police will not yet speculate that it was in fact a hate crime, but it's possible. To hear about something like that in TO.... I mean you hear about hate crimes against gays in the Southern US, but rarely in Canada. It really made me so sad :( and for my friend too, who lost a good friend.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/arti...n-man-s-killing

Toronto sure has changed for the worse...as well as surrounding cities. Every time I go back for a visit, it seems there is another shooting or other violent attack on the streets.

I remember walking around at night all over the place...TO, Bramptonn Mississauga; you never had to worry. Now when we go back for a visit, I won't let my wife go to the corner store alone.

It's sad what has happened.

LPR since 2003 and will be applying for Naturalization soon. Currently working on I-130 for my son.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Wow, I'm surprised that this message thread about Toronto became very popular here on VJ, indeed!

I guess in some way or other, we can relate to this big city in Canada!

It sure brought back a lot of memories to me, growing up in Toronto, from what you have posted here...

Lol..On that note, I almost to forgot to post about my thoughts about Toronto, so here is what I would like to say about that:

What I like about Toronto:

-There's always something to do there...Lol..sometimes a little too much to do!

-Favourite places and things to do: Parks (Centre Island, Bluffer's Park, High Park), The Beaches, Royal Ontario Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto Zoo, CN Tower, Skydome, Nathan Phillips Square (skating there in the middle of winter), CNE/The Ex, Ontario Place, etc.

-Favourite events: Doors Open, CN Tower stair climbs for charity, Taste of Toronto, Canada Day (fireworks), Multicltural Events throughout the year....

-It's Multicultural, Diverse, and welcome to new immigrants..."A Multicultural Moasic..."

-It has its share of interesting stories, and characters.....

What I don't like about Toronto:

-Traffic jams, noise, "too busy and chaotic"

-The significant amount of homelessness and poverty..

-The high crime rate/not very secure

How about you, what are your thoughts about Toronto? Keep those thoughts coming!

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

I don't live very close to Toronto, but close enough.

I haven't really been there enough to really say anything about the city though.

All I've ever used it for is terminals for transportation.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline

I'm from Scarborough, a fellow Scarberian, if you will....been here ever since I came to Canada 17 years ago.

Anyone heard of the show "Cash Cab"? I once had the crazy idea to 'catch' the cash cab before leaving T.O. Anyway, that's one thing I'll miss. Love the show and the host :)

Tina

Naturalization Journey

----------------------------------------------------

12/18/12 - Send N-400 package to Phoenix Lockbox!

12/21/12 - Delivered and signed for by Fernando Dominguez

12/24/12 - E-mail notification that file sent to NBC (now able to check case status online!)

12/28/12 - E-mail notification that biometrics notice was sent!

01/08/13 - Biometrics!

04/02/13 - Interview! Passed!

May 2013 - Oath Ceremony!

I'm from Scarborough, a fellow Scarberian, if you will....been here ever since I came to Canada 17 years ago.

Anyone heard of the show "Cash Cab"? I once had the crazy idea to 'catch' the cash cab before leaving T.O. Anyway, that's one thing I'll miss. Love the show and the host :)

Tina

There's an American version of the show, I think it's even the same host.

He drives around New York.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline

Tina

There's an American version of the show, I think it's even the same host.

He drives around New York.

I know there's the American version, but the host's not the same.

Naturalization Journey

12/24/12 - E-mail notification that file sent to NBC (now able to check case status online!)

01/08/13 - Biometrics!

Hi Tina&Roland,

No way! I'm a former Scarberian (lol..is that the right word?) too....Well, actually that's where I spent most of my childhhood in that part of the city too, as a former Canadian immigrant, and then became a Canadian citizen as a child. After that, I moved to other different parts of the city during my teenage years and adult years...

And years later, I'm now happily married in America, with a family, and am going for American citizenship.....

Funny how life takes a turn, and we all end up meeting at the same place here on vj..lol...

Wow, we have something in common there, definitely worth talking about here (or via pm)!

As for cash cab, funny..I just watched that show (the American version? never knew there was a Canadian version...) on tv about an hour ago..It's on the discovery channel here in the USA, so you can watch that show here too while you are here. Yup, gotta love Ben Bailey in NYC....especially with his weird accents when he lets the passangers in the cab...lol..

Good luck on your journey to America too, fellow Scarberian, Tina&Roland!

Ant

Tina

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

Wow, great to know a fellow former Scarberian! Which high school did you go to? I went to Agincourt Collegiate Institute. Yeah, I've heard people call it Scarberia before, though many people now just say Toronto or GTA because of the amalgamation. I think when it comes to VJ, it's a small world :)

Tina

Naturalization Journey

01/08/13 - Biometrics!

Hi Tina&Roland,

Yeah..I spent about 10-15 or so years in that part of the city...lol..does that count as being a Scarberian? By the time I got to high school though, I moved to a different part of the city, so I didn't spend my high school years there in Scarborough. I have though, heard of and been inside Agincourt Collegiate, as I remember they had some weekend language/math program there for elementary school kids, which I attended for a brief time on weekends (yeah, my parents wanted me to study on weekends for extra credit..lol..). Hey, did you know that Jim Carrey (the actor) spent some time as a high school student at Agincourt too? There's also a community centre next to/nearby that high school too, which has a cool skating rink and swimming area in it. (lol...took my husband skating there once..back in our old dating days....and we also went to the Scarborough Bluffs....which we go back to visit every time we're in Toronto, as it holds a special meaning to us...lol....but that's another story..). I still though, have some family that live in the Scarborough part of the city (my grandparents, actually), and the other part of my family in another part of the city..Sure makes for good travelling around Toronto...lol....Toronto is so big indeed!

Hey, you remember when Scarborough celebrated its 200th anniversary, about 10 years ago or so? Think they had some sort of celebration or something like that there.

Lol..we as Torontonians (spelling error?) know that there are different "parts" of the city! Oh I still remember the days before Toronto became the "mega city". Each part of the city is so different...wish they could have kept it this way....Now Toronto is way too big for it's own good!

Though big city aside, it's a funny co-incidence that we all meet here on VJ...Small world..Welcome from Scarborough to America!

Ant

Wow, great to know a fellow former Scarberian! Which high school did you go to? I went to Agincourt Collegiate Institute. Yeah, I've heard people call it Scarberia before, though many people now just say Toronto or GTA because of the amalgamation. I think when it comes to VJ, it's a small world :)

Tina

Edited by Ant+D+A

Timeline
Hi Tina&Roland,

Yeah..I spent about 15 or so years in that part of the city...lol..does that count as being a Scarberian? By the time I got to high school though, I moved to a different part of the city, so I didn't spend my high school years there in Scarborough. I have though, heard of and been inside Agincourt Collegiate, as I remember they had some weekend language/math program there for elementary school kids, which I attended for a brief time on weekends (yeah, my parents wanted me to study on weekends for extra credit..lol..). Hey, did you know that Jim Carrey (the actor) spent some time as a high school student at Agincourt too? There's also a community centre next to/nearby that high school too, which has a cool skating rink and swimming area in it. (lol...took my husband skating there once..back in our old dating days....and we also went to the Scarborough Bluffs....which we go back to visit every time we're in Toronto, as it holds a special meaning to us...lol....but that's another story..). I still though, have some family that live in the Scarborough part of the city (my grandparents, actually), and the other part of my family in another part of the city..Sure makes for good travelling around Toronto...lol....Toronto is so big indeed!

Hey, you remember when Scarborough celebrated its 200th anniversary, about 10 years ago or so? Think they had some sort of celebration or something like that there.

Lol..we as Torontonians (spelling error?) know that there are different "parts" of the city! Oh I still remember the days before Toronto became the "mega city". Each part of the city is so different...wish they could have kept it this way....Now Toronto is way too big for it's own good!

Though big city aside, it's a funny co-incidence that we all meet here on VJ...Small world..Welcome from Scarborough to America!

Ant

Tina

Yeah, I totally knew that Jim Carrey went to ACI and yes, there still is a community centre nearby. Since we didn't have a pool at our school, that's where we went for swimming. I don't quite remember when Scarborough celebrated its 200th anniversary, though. I think I was probably too focused on my university studies to bother with that...lol.

Anyway, thanks for the big welcome to the US. I see that you are in New York now. Was it a big change for you? I'm going to Indianapolis, which is a much smaller city than Toronto. I'm so afraid that I'll get a culture shock..haha. At least now my fiance is there and I'm not going there blind :)

Take care,

Tina

Naturalization Journey

01/08/13 - Biometrics!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.