how DO people get by doing the A.O.S

228 posts in this topic

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I think everyone here might appreciate this article on words and what they mean.

While this is obviously correct, I must pipe in and say this. I do have a degree from University in English language and literature, so I'd like to think my grasp of it is pretty decent. However, we have to take into account, no matter how wrong it is, that words develop within a society and break awayf rom their "proper" definition and rightful context all the time. I'm not saying this is right, but if we perpetuate something like the word "Plethora" over time to mean "a lot", instead of "an overabundance of" (which, by the way, to me mean essentially almost the same thing), then I think we should move and shake with it a little bit.

Something like Their vs They're is very different then something like the definition and context of Plethora. The former being a terrible grammatical error. The latter being our entire society making us misunderstand these definitions of words and certainly if they are teaching it in school or NOT correcting it in school, it's not really every one's fault and I don't think there can be the expectation there that we should all be reading dictionaries which I'm going to guess is something that not most of you are doing or have done. ;)

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I hate when people pronounce the H when saying "Herbal" the H is silent "erbal"

YES!!! Herb is a man's name. Erb is parsley, etc.

According to my (British) wife, it's YOU who are all incorrect. The "H" in Herb (as in parsley) is most definitely pronounced. Of course, she also says "aluMINIum" instead of aluminum. I guess aluminum is smaller over there or something.

I don't usually comment on the types of threads where people laugh at others that mispronounce words. BECAUSE...I sometimes mispronounce words myself! :lol: So, I'll just say...I hate it when...the grammar police are out. :lol:

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
I don't usually comment on the types of threads where people laugh at others that mispronounce words. BECAUSE...I sometimes mispronounce words myself! :lol: So, I'll just say...I hate it when...the grammar police are out. :lol:

I was thinking the same thing...I mean we all like to be grammatical police once and awhile, and there are surely people who deserve it! haha but I think there is also a lot of mis-teaching of words that leads to this sort of thing.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: Timeline
I think everyone here might appreciate this article on words and what they mean.

haha - "enormity" cracked me up :P

I went back to see what you were referencing but I couldn't find it. :(

But I took a quick look at the comment section and had a giggle at this one:

"timmy, i am afraid that this error carries the punishment of public flogging til death and then your corpse must be violated. i am sorry, but i don't make the rules."

:lol:

iagree.gif

haha - "enormity" cracked me up :P

I went back to see what you were referencing but I couldn't find it. :(

But I took a quick look at the comment section and had a giggle at this one:

"timmy, i am afraid that this error carries the punishment of public flogging til death and then your corpse must be violated. i am sorry, but i don't make the rules."

:lol:

hahah

Should you care?

This is one of those words you really don't need to be using anyway, unless you're giving a speech at the U.N. Just remember that if you say to your girl, "I hope you're prepared for the enormity of my ####," you're implying that your ##### is responsible for several acts of evil on the scale of ethnic genocide. This may or may not turn her on, depending on the girl.

Edited by LaL

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

While this is obviously correct, I must pipe in and say this. I do have a degree from University in English language and literature, so I'd like to think my grasp of it is pretty decent. However, we have to take into account, no matter how wrong it is, that words develop within a society and break awayf rom their "proper" definition and rightful context all the time. I'm not saying this is right, but if we perpetuate something like the word "Plethora" over time to mean "a lot", instead of "an overabundance of" (which, by the way, to me mean essentially almost the same thing), then I think we should move and shake with it a little bit.

Something like Their vs They're is very different then something like the definition and context of Plethora. The former being a terrible grammatical error. The latter being our entire society making us misunderstand these definitions of words and certainly if they are teaching it in school or NOT correcting it in school, it's not really every one's fault and I don't think there can be the expectation there that we should all be reading dictionaries which I'm going to guess is something that not most of you are doing or have done. ;)

Bolded section really irks me. One word in particular draws my ire above all else. Whenever I hear someone use "irregardless", I want to punch them in the back of their skull. To make matters worse, the non-word has now been included in most dictionaries, albeit with the caveat that it is a non-standard word. This is the fault of Americans.

Timeline

hehe

I'm not sure who's fault it is...I'm just saying that it appears to be the way things happen and it's not really the fault of any one in particular.

There is another one, actually, that many people say wrong...I hear a lot people say imparticular and have even seen people spell it like that. I don't know who to blame...the teachers?

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
hehe

I'm not sure who's fault it is...I'm just saying that it appears to be the way things happen and it's not really the fault of any one in particular.

There is another one, actually, that many people say wrong...I hear a lot people say imparticular and have even seen people spell it like that. I don't know who to blame...the teachers?

If I ever have kids, and hear one of his/her teachers using "irregardless", I will pull my child out of that school so fast their head will spin. I will not stand for any child of mine using that term!!! Irregardless is an american incarnation, I can sadly say that it is our fault. I get irrationally upset about people using that term like some in this forum do about HFCS. :lol:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.