Dakine

US citizenship!

9 posts in this topic

My wife owns property in RP. Once she has her US citizenship she will lose her Philippine citizenship and I guess she won't have the right to own property there.

She will apply for dual citizenship but what state is her property in until she reacquires PI citizenship?

Does she have to make any moves to keep her property? :blink:

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Under Section 2 of Republic Act 9225, it is the "declared policy of the State that all Philippine citizens of another country shall be deemed not to have lost their Philippine citizenship under the conditions of this Act."

The condition requires taking an oath of allegiance to the Philippines. Here's the link for requirement and procedures for re-acquiring Filipino citizenship: http://www.philippineconsulate-sf.org/docs/dualreqs07.pdf

Below is the pertinent provisions of RA 9225 link: http://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra..._9225_2003.html

Section 1. Short Title – this act shall be known as the "Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition Act of 2003."

Section 2. Declaration of Policy - It is hereby declared the policy of the State that all Philippine citizens of another country shall be deemed not to have lost their Philippine citizenship under the conditions of this Act.

Section 3. Retention of Philippine Citizenship - Any provision of law to the contrary notwithstanding, natural-born citizenship by reason of their naturalization as citizens of a foreign country are hereby deemed to have re-acquired Philippine citizenship upon taking the following oath of allegiance to the Republic:

"I _____________________, solemny swear (or affrim) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the Republic of the Philippines and obey the laws and legal orders promulgated by the duly constituted authorities of the Philippines; and I hereby declare that I recognize and accept the supreme authority of the Philippines and will maintain true faith and allegiance thereto; and that I imposed this obligation upon myself voluntarily without mental reservation or purpose of evasion."

Natural born citizens of the Philippines who, after the effectivity of this Act, become citizens of a foreign country shall retain their Philippine citizenship upon taking the aforesaid oath.

Edited by Pinay Wife

My wife owns property in RP. Once she has her US citizenship she will lose her Philippine citizenship and I guess she won't have the right to own property there.

She will apply for dual citizenship but what state is her property in until she reacquires PI citizenship?

Does she have to make any moves to keep her property? :blink:

Check out this PDF it has some good info!

http://www.philippineconsulate.com.au/PDF/CFO.FAQ2.pdf

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Under Section 2 of Republic Act 9225, it is the "declared policy of the State that all Philippine citizens of another country shall be deemed not to have lost their Philippine citizenship under the conditions of this Act."

The condition requires taking an oath of allegiance to the Philippines. Here's the link for requirement and procedures for re-acquiring Filipino citizenship: http://www.philippineconsulate-sf.org/docs/dualreqs07.pdf

Below is the pertinent provisions of RA 9225 link: http://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra..._9225_2003.html

Section 1. Short Title – this act shall be known as the "Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition Act of 2003."

Section 2. Declaration of Policy - It is hereby declared the policy of the State that all Philippine citizens of another country shall be deemed not to have lost their Philippine citizenship under the conditions of this Act.

Section 3. Retention of Philippine Citizenship - Any provision of law to the contrary notwithstanding, natural-born citizenship by reason of their naturalization as citizens of a foreign country are hereby deemed to have re-acquired Philippine citizenship upon taking the following oath of allegiance to the Republic:

"I _____________________, solemny swear (or affrim) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the Republic of the Philippines and obey the laws and legal orders promulgated by the duly constituted authorities of the Philippines; and I hereby declare that I recognize and accept the supreme authority of the Philippines and will maintain true faith and allegiance thereto; and that I imposed this obligation upon myself voluntarily without mental reservation or purpose of evasion."

Natural born citizens of the Philippines who, after the effectivity of this Act, become citizens of a foreign country shall retain their Philippine citizenship upon taking the aforesaid oath.

Yeah she's going to apply to reacquire her PI citizenship but what status is her peoberty until she does?

Should she put the title in her sisters name until she reacquires her Philippine citizenship?

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Yeah she's going to apply to reacquire her PI citizenship but what status is her peoberty until she does?

Should she put the title in her sisters name until she reacquires her Philippine citizenship?

Not so sure what to tell you she should do about the property, I can't find anything about status of property? I thinks she fine. as is.

What rights and privileges is one entitled to on re-acquiring Filipino citizenship?

" Right to own real property in the Philippines " Right to engage in business or commerce as a Filipino " Right to practice one's profession in accordance with law " Right to travel with a Philippine passport " Right to vote in Philippine elections under existing laws " Other rights and privileges enjoyed by Filipino citizens

Edited by sjr09

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

I don't think there is a need for your wife to transfer ownership as she is "deemed not to have lost her Philippine citizenship" if she is in the process of re-acquiring her Philippine citizenship. I strong suggest that she applies for re-acquisition as soon as she is naturalized (as in applying within one week of her naturalization). The act of pledging allegiance in front of a Philippine consular officer reconfirms her citizenship once again.

It is not practical, not to mention expensive, to transfer ownership back and forth as she would have to pay capital gains tax, documentary tax, transfer tax, lawyer's fee and other miscelleneous fees two times.

Edited by Pinay Wife

I don't think there is a need for your wife to transfer ownership as she is "deemed not to have lost her Philippine citizenship" if she is in the process of re-acquiring her Philippine citizenship. I strong suggest that she applies for re-acquisition as soon as she is naturalized (as in applying within one week of her naturalization). The act of pledging allegiance in front of a Philippine consular officer reconfirms her citizenship once again.

It is not practical, not to mention expensive, to transfer ownership back and forth as she would have to pay capital gains tax, documentary tax, transfer tax, lawyer's fee and other miscelleneous fees two times.

Thanks. Yeah I went thru buying the properties once and all the BS that goes with it. Wouldn'twant to do it all 2 more times.

!! ALL PAU!

Thanks. Yeah I went thru buying the properties once and all the BS that goes with it. Wouldn'twant to do it all 2 more times.

What gets me is in one place they say filipinos don't lose their philippine citizenship when they take the oath for USC and in the next they say you can re-acquire your Philippine ctizenship.!!! :bonk:

!! ALL PAU!

What gets me is in one place they say filipinos don't lose their philippine citizenship when they take the oath for USC and in the next they say you can re-acquire your Philippine ctizenship.!!! :bonk:

I know. Our senators/congressmen write such ambiguous laws that can be interpreted a number of ways.

At any rate, RA 9225 is called "Citizenship Retention and Re-Acquisition Act of 2003". The way I interpret it, Filipinos retain citizenship until such time that we decide to re-acquire it. Sounds silly, I know.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.