grinchus

Help! SS# Question on DS-230

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My fiance' is in possession of all of our signed docs, including my I-134 and all supporting materials. He has his interview scheduled for next Wednesday, Oct. 13!!

I just, just, just noticed this little tid-bit in the guides as I was looking ahead to see what paperwork awaits us when he finally gets here (fingers crossed!):

[re social security]

"Reminder

On the visa application Form DS-230 (expires 7/31/2007), you saw the following offer:

"Do you want the Social Security Administration to assign you an SSN (and issue a card) or issue you a new card (if you have an SSN)? You must answer "Yes" to this question and to the "Consent To Disclosure" in order to receive an SSN and/or card."

Please note that this program is ONLY for Immigrant Visa holders (CR-1, etc). If you checked this box, a Social Security number will NOT be generated for you if you are a K-visa holder. As a K-visa holder, use the following guide to get your first, or replacement, Social Security number/card. If you have ever had a Social Security number, that is your number for life; you will need to visit your SSA office to get new card with the same number."

Trouble is, we thought he had to check the "yes" box because it seems so reasonable. Now we can't un-check the box, and I don't have time to resend all of the signed docs before his interview. What are the ramifications of checking "yes" in that box? Anything? Do we just go in person to the SS office when he gets here as if we hadn't checked "yes"?

Thanks!

Wow, I hadn't seen that. I thought if my fiance checked yes for a SSN they would issue him one which would save time and stress. Now I'm curious as to what steps to take for him to get a SSN when he gets here? Just get in contact with Social Security? Gee whiz...

I've read on VJ that checking "yes" if you are going for a K visa will make no difference, you still have to go through the process of getting a SSN once you arrive in the USA. But maybe someone else can confirm, just to be safe.

Our naturalization timeline
1/12/2015 - Application sent to Phoenix service center by USPS priority mail

1/14/2015 - Package received in Phoenix

1/16/2015 - NOA date (hard copy received 1/22)

1/20/2015 - Check cashed

2/09/2015 - Biometrics

2/11/2015 - In line for interview

3/28/2015 - Hard copy interview notice received

4/29/2015 - Interview at Chicago field office - Approved!!!

5/22/2015 - Oath ceremony - Now a US citizen!!!!!!

Thank you, VisaJourney!!!!!

"Contrary to what the cynics say, distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love... It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough..."- Anonymous

an1cHsK0g000610MTNsc3wxMDAwOTk4c2F8V2Uga

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.