Bajih

Temporary resident and AP

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

Hello-

My fiance was placed in AP sometime after his interview in April, 2009. He is an Iraqi citizen who fled Iraq to Syria due to the war over 2 years ago. Syria does not allow him to work; and he lives in very poor conditions. Every 3 months he has had to apply for a "temporary resident" certificate. It is now getting harder to get and lawyers expect bribe money to get it. His last one cost over $300 and was for only 1 month. With all of that, he lives in fear of the Syrian authorities deporting him back to Iraq-for no other reason than he is an Iraqi.

My question is- We are in AP through the Damascus embassy. What happens if he is sent back to Iraq? I am assuming paperwork would have to be transferred and all- and I am even questioning if the Baghdad embassy is up and fully functional. Not many things in Iraq are open/running and so we are extremely worried. So much so that he doesn't even want to talk about it; but I need to see what we may be up against. Once he leaves Syria, I am sure they would not let him back in.

If it came to this (God forbid) what would be my options at this point? OR are there options that are out there now that can help us avoid this mess?

Thank you for any ideas or thoughts.

Baj

ah. the longing....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

Short answer sorry I'm on my phone at work but try the embassy in Iraq you are right the last I checked they were issuing limited visa but it could have changed my now

Marriage : 2008-01-26

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-06

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-02-20

I-130 Approved : 2008-03-19

NVC Received : 2008-03-25

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2008-04-07

Pay I-864 Bill 2008-04-17

Receive I-864 Package : 2008-04-21

Return Completed I-864 : 2008-04-22

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2008-04-07

Receive IV Bill : 2008-04-20

Pay IV Bill : 2008-04-21

Receive Instruction Package : 2008-05-01

Case Completed at NVC : 2008-05-12

NVC Left : 2008-05-23

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-01

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-05-01

Packet 4 Received : 2008-05-31

Interview Date : 2008-07-15

result AP

2009-05-15 case returned to USCIS

2009-06-29 case received at USCIS

2010-03-12 letter from USCIS stating reason for case being returned and asking for additional info of a on going relationship

2010-03-29 sent next day air-2010-03-30 10:30 USCIS signed for package

2010-03-31 USCIS updated accoun

2010-04-10 received email case reaffirmed

2010-08-18 2nd interview

9/2/2010 Visa Received

9/16/2010 Entered USA

10/15/2010 received 10 year GC

:http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pGV...s4pIA&hl=en

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

My husband was in Syria when we got married and we started the process. He was not lucky enough to keep his visa going so he just had to stay there illegally and try to keep a low profile. He was lucky enough to get to Jordan after one year and then had a visa for about 3 to 6 months (I forget which) before it expired and Jordan refused to renew it. He then had to stay illegally there until his visa finally came through to the US. The Baghdad embassy was never doing visas or interviews during the time we waited so that would never have been an option. Now I guess they have started so you may be in luck. Did you also take the option for your husband to come on refugee? That seemed to go faster for myself and another member compared to other members that only did the spouse/fiance visa. They finish the background checks faster on refugees (maybe they get priority, I don't know) than for immigrant visas for Iraqis. My husband has a friend who was in Syria and married an American. They stayed on AP for about a year before he was finally able to come to the US a few months ago. Syria never kicked him out though he didn't have a valid visa, so hopefully your husband will be fine. I wish you the best of luck and that your husband doesn't have to go back to Iraq.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Timeline

Thanks for the reply. He is keeping a low profile now as it is- even with a temporary resident card.

I am under the impression that there are only so many refugee visas given out- and a large priority goes to refugee families and/or women with children. He really does not think that he would be a priority for this- but perhaps I should look into it. I do not remember my attorney mentioning this or us really looking into it.

Knowing that your friend waited a year is heartbreaking. Oh my. I am only at the 6 month mark now and it is unbearable. It is just the stress of not knowing if he is okay; if he is getting enough sleep and all; if anyone is harrassing him... and just knowing that he is living in such bad conditions. Luckily, his brother is able to send him money each month and so we are so grateful for this-but the daily stress on both of us is taking its toll.

This is pure hell and I really worry about his health. (and mine- I find myself crying and worrying all of the time)

All we can do is pray- pray for a quick end to our AP and for him to be here living in love and peace.

Thanks.

ah. the longing....

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline
Thanks for the reply. He is keeping a low profile now as it is- even with a temporary resident card.

I am under the impression that there are only so many refugee visas given out- and a large priority goes to refugee families and/or women with children. He really does not think that he would be a priority for this- but perhaps I should look into it. I do not remember my attorney mentioning this or us really looking into it.

Knowing that your friend waited a year is heartbreaking. Oh my. I am only at the 6 month mark now and it is unbearable. It is just the stress of not knowing if he is okay; if he is getting enough sleep and all; if anyone is harrassing him... and just knowing that he is living in such bad conditions. Luckily, his brother is able to send him money each month and so we are so grateful for this-but the daily stress on both of us is taking its toll.

This is pure hell and I really worry about his health. (and mine- I find myself crying and worrying all of the time)

All we can do is pray- pray for a quick end to our AP and for him to be here living in love and peace.

Thanks.

I totally understand your situation. I waited a total of 18 months after our marriage before my husband came and that doesn't count the time we knew each other before. My husband was going hungry a lot while he was in Syria since his family was in Jordan and couldn't send him much money. Then the worrying if Syria would kick him out. It gave me horrible ulcers I still have problems with. If ever you need encouragement or support let me know as I don't wish that experience on anyone.

As for the refugee, he can apply though at this point it probably will not be faster since he already did his interview and is waiting in AP. In my husband's case, he was automatically eligible for the refugee application as soon as our I-130 was approved. I continued the process for the visa at the same time as the refugee was going through, but refugee went faster. We did notice Iraqi families that applied for refugee at the same time as him got approved several months ahead of him despite him having an American wife. He has some single friends who have come here as well, but the process seems to take about as long as his was. I think we sent off the refugee applications in February of last year and he arrived in the US on Dec 10th. I guess that is about 10 months waiting though the US paid for his physical exam and flew him here on an interest free loan. Because they didn't want to pay for vaccinations, he hasn't been required to get them, lol. I still made him get some after he got here though. The other nice thing is he will get his 10 year green card in one year instead of two years. Also, refugees don't need and affidavit of support since they come here at the invitation of the government so they can qualify for many of the same cash assistance programs any American citizen can like welfare, food stamps, etc. Unfortunately in my case, I made a little too much money so he didn't qualify based on my income though he had none of his own.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck and hope your AP ends soon. The best thing I can tell you is that when he finally come, you are so happy that it takes most of the pain away from all the waiting. I will say that I still appreciate my husband more because of all the waiting, worrying, crying and stressing out. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, just seems like forever until you reach it. Keep your faith and soon he will be with you.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

• 3 months later...
Timeline

my fiancee is also from Iraq but has lived in sweden almost 3 yrs..he applyed for assylee stadus but was denied.they policeman handling his case said he would give him time to get his visa to the us done.we had our interview and it was so bad.they kept his visa told us we were in ap.then he gets an email saying they want to speak with him again at the embassey.he goes back .and the embassey calls the police to pick him up.For some reason they put him in a detention facility.He had a valid id card saying he was legal and a letter from the migration board.we think the us embassey called and had sweden immigration pull his permission to stay.they let him out after a week but kept his id .the embassey has his passport and want respond to our emails.we dont know what to do or even if they are still processing his visa.they were so mean to us.we were interrigated for 2 hours each by 7 men.i felt like a criminal.My husband is christain. and has never been in any kind of trouble.he scared as hell and so am i .The lawyer told us they wouldnt even give him a visa if he wasnt a legal resident in sweden.so now i guess he must return to iraq and go thru his interview again there and ap im sure for god only knows how long.im am so discussed and embarrassed that my own government treated myself and my future husband as if we were criminals.good luck to you.

bridget

Timeline

Bridget-

I am so sorry for what you are going through. What a nightmare.

I question why he wouldn't be able to get a visa in Sweden. He is trying to come to the US and is just living in Sweden isn't he? If you go through the US Embassy it shouldn't matter which country you are in- at least I wouldn't think it would. Why did Sweden pull their permission to stay? He had papers to show he was okay to stay in the country, but they are disregarding those? Can't you go up to the US Embassy in Sweden to ask about his passport? Something doesn't sound right here- and you deserve answers. Where is the lawyer you are working with? A US-based lawyer? or someone else? Are you currently living in Sweden?

You are right- there is no way of knowing how long this process would take through Iraq. I do not even know if anything is up and running over there. It's a war zone for most of the country.

I am with you on how they treat people from Iraq. They have nowhere to go. No country wants to let them in. Those that let them in do not provide any services or allow them to work. So there are thousands of people left in purgatory- trying to just live. It really is a mess. My SO is stuck in Syria. Jordan, Turkey or other surrounding countries will not let him in. Even in Syria he is not welcomed. and there is no way he will ever return to Iraq unless they force him to. We just pray every day that things go through and he can remain healthy.

My prayers are with you. I am sorry the US Embassy made you feel like a criminal. What types of things did they ask you?

I know that it is heart-breaking each day. Hang on. Step by step. Day by day. Keep at it. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Keep digging.

Baj :)

ah. the longing....

Timeline

ok so this is a long story but i will try to type it all. If you go to my posts you will see where i had to speak with the consular before they would ever interview alen. i was grillled for 2 hrs by 7 men.I think alot of the problem is that one of the days alen called the embassey to check on his interview date someone else called the embassey and threaten to bomb it or something.They had me lisen to tape of the calls to see if i knew the voices but it was in swedish and i dont understand swedish.alen speaks english when he calls because he loves using english .i explained this to them and told them if they would go back and lisen to all his calls then they would see this.Also the police came and spoke with him about the embassey threat and cleared him.So they should have known he was innocent.But when he went to his interview they spent the 2 hrs they interviewed him asking him questions about his callls to the embassey like they were still thinking he might have done it seeing as he is the only Iraqi applying for a visa in sweden.It makes me so angery.He is christain and i havent heard of any christain terrorist.duh....Any way they took his passport and said we were in ap but that he would recieve his visa once that process was over.So we left excited...Then they email him a week later after i fly home and say they need to speak with him again.So he makes the 5 hr. trip to stockholm again.When he arrives for his interview he is told to wait in line then they call the police to pick him up.the police take him.He calls me freakin out from the police station they dont telll him why he is there . then finallly they tell him he is not legal ,even though his has a current id card from immgration and a letter saying the immigration will allow him to remain in sweden til his fiancee visa is processed.So the police take him to a deportation holding center.He remains there for a week.The police finally release him but keep all his ids .They give him a paper and say they will contact him.he is free to go .So now we know nothing .We dont know how or why the embassey somehow got them to revolk his id and premission to stay or what we dont know what to do .If he should return to iraq and finish his visa there .Or if they will finish processing his visa in sweden or what.The embassey will not repond to our emails or to our lawyer.We have know idea what to do or where to get help ? I am so embarrassed and ashamed of these ppl at the embassey.Here is alen never even had a speeding ticket.And fusses at me for speeding ..lol And they treat us both as criminals...I hope to god they find whomever did threaten the embassey so that nothing bad happens.But it wasnt alen i know this for a fact.They day in question when he called the embassy my friend and i were on web cam and lisening to his call so there should be know question as to his call .he has 2 witnesses and all calls are recorded to the embassey so it should not even be in question.I think they are just doing this because he is Iraqi.It makes me so sad that all are guilty because of others crimes from there .Not all ppl from iraq are terrorist.This is so sad.I do understand they are tryin to protect our country but come on why would i bring a bad person here when i have family and friends whom would be harmed if my country was bombed or destroyed.Why is it a crime to love someone from a country that is at war.He fled his country from fear.

bridget

Timeline

Thanks for the note Bridget. I agree- it doesn't make sense. Have you thought about asking a congress person to get involved? Make an inquiry as to what is happening and why. Really, you need answers and it doesn't sound like the US Embassy is giving you any. That, to me, is unacceptable when they put you in this position of not knowing what is going on. So now Sweden just threw him back on the streets but kept his identifications? He has nothing? No papers? No passport? Have you called the DOS to ask about his status?

What does your lawyer suggest you do? Wow- Hopefully someone else reading this can give you some ideas as to where to go with this.

There are many Iraqi refugees that fled the country in fear. My SO is one of them. It is sad that they are treated the way they are in other countries. Your situation could easily be mine. My prayers are with you.

ah. the longing....

Timeline
Thanks for the note Bridget. I agree- it doesn't make sense. Have you thought about asking a congress person to get involved? Make an inquiry as to what is happening and why. Really, you need answers and it doesn't sound like the US Embassy is giving you any. That, to me, is unacceptable when they put you in this position of not knowing what is going on. So now Sweden just threw him back on the streets but kept his identifications? He has nothing? No papers? No passport? Have you called the DOS to ask about his status?

What does your lawyer suggest you do? Wow- Hopefully someone else reading this can give you some ideas as to where to go with this.

There are many Iraqi refugees that fled the country in fear. My SO is one of them. It is sad that they are treated the way they are in other countries. Your situation could easily be mine. My prayers are with you.

I have 2 congressmen involved but havent found out anything so far.The police came to his house today to speak with him and said they will be sending his paperwork to the immigration judge for him to decide if alen must go now or if he can wait in sweden til his ap is finished.If the embassey is even working on it.Im not even sure if the consulate will give him a visa he was so rude and mean.he has no papers ,id or passport.The embassey still has his passport as far as we know.Congratulations on hearing some good news or your own.My prayers are also with you and your family.

bridget

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.