myfakeID

passport renewal

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone! I've been a member for a while, but opened a new account. I want the freedom to post questions without my SO knowing that it's me. I love him dearly, but... he's stubborn sometimes, and very sensitive.

Ok, I brought this up to him before, and he got upset about it (I have no idea why), and wouldn't discuss it with me. It's his passport - it's going to expire in a few months, and he doesn't want to renew it. He says he doesn't want to leave the country until he gets his 10 year card, which I understand - even though you can come back in with an expired card and an extension letter, he's nervous about doing so. The thing is, if he doesn't renew, he won't be able to leave the country (and return) until he gets an American passport, which will be a minimum of a year (and most likely longer). First of all, I was hoping to travel next summer. Second of all, you never know what could happen, and I'd hate for him not to be able to go see his family if (God forbid) there was some kind of emergency. Also, I wonder about things like getting a stamp in his passport if his letter expires, and does he need a valid passport for any reason for citizenship or anything like that? I mean, I just can't fathom why someone would willingly let themselves be without a valid passport - at least someone who came on a visa, anyway... I know people can forget, or maybe find themselves in a situation where they don't have the money or something - but to just decide you're not going to renew (and not even give a reason why) seems irresponsible.

The ONLY thing I can think of while racking my brain is that I remember a conversation I had with him about marrying Islamically and registering with the consulate here. I'm under the impression he needs to do that to renew - and he didn't seem interested in doing that for whatever reason.

I don't know. I love him, and he's wonderful. But every once in a while.... let's just say I get frustrated.

sigh

Hi everyone! I've been a member for a while, but opened a new account. I want the freedom to post questions without my SO knowing that it's me. I love him dearly, but... he's stubborn sometimes, and very sensitive.

Ok, I brought this up to him before, and he got upset about it (I have no idea why), and wouldn't discuss it with me. It's his passport - it's going to expire in a few months, and he doesn't want to renew it. He says he doesn't want to leave the country until he gets his 10 year card, which I understand - even though you can come back in with an expired card and an extension letter, he's nervous about doing so. The thing is, if he doesn't renew, he won't be able to leave the country (and return) until he gets an American passport, which will be a minimum of a year (and most likely longer). First of all, I was hoping to travel next summer. Second of all, you never know what could happen, and I'd hate for him not to be able to go see his family if (God forbid) there was some kind of emergency. Also, I wonder about things like getting a stamp in his passport if his letter expires, and does he need a valid passport for any reason for citizenship or anything like that? I mean, I just can't fathom why someone would willingly let themselves be without a valid passport - at least someone who came on a visa, anyway... I know people can forget, or maybe find themselves in a situation where they don't have the money or something - but to just decide you're not going to renew (and not even give a reason why) seems irresponsible.

The ONLY thing I can think of while racking my brain is that I remember a conversation I had with him about marrying Islamically and registering with the consulate here. I'm under the impression he needs to do that to renew - and he didn't seem interested in doing that for whatever reason.

I don't know. I love him, and he's wonderful. But every once in a while.... let's just say I get frustrated.

sigh

you husband may think he has to go in in person to renew or extend his passport which is a big hussele,but he doesn,t have to. I know how bad that could be the beaurocracy @#@#@

okay. here is my experience. my moroccan passport was on the verge of expiring, I reseach it and it wasn't that big of a hassele exept money wise. I had to send my passport and other forms filled that I was able to get from there web site. I had also to send a prepaid express mail envelope for them to send me back my extended passport. I think it took them about 2 weeks before I got my passport back. calling as I recall was a pain.they were rude and act like they are still in Morocco. they make you feel like you are bothering them for asking questions. so many complaints and a freind of mine told they are trying to do better. they even have thank you for calling message when you call.

it is a sweet thing that you are worried about the situation if he has leave urgently.but keep in mind leaving won,t be the issue comming back will, and he can always wait 2 to 3 months :devil: for his passport to be renewed in his home country to be able to come back.just tell him that and he will agree with you and renow it here. :blush: best of luck

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

We bought a ticket for my husband to go back to Morocco, then when we looked for his passport we couldn't find it. I can't tell you how stressful that was! We had a hard time finding the correct embassy that would help us, but my husband finally did contact the correct one (Washington? Can't remember now). First off we need to register him at the consulate. They never said anything about registering the marriage, and I don't see why that would matter since it is registered in Morocco. Second we needed to send in the necessary items for the passport. For us we needed a police report showing that the passport was lost (that was the difficult part), the fees, and a prepaid express mail envelope. Those were a bit pricey, and although we were able to send the registration and the passport renewal request together, we weren't sure if we had to send 2 prepaid envelopes. So to be on the safe side, since we were dealing with a time limit, we sent 2. We mailed the packet on Monday, and we had his registration and the passport by Friday. I was amazed and relieved!

It does seem rather odd that he doesn't want to renew it, but to be honest I wouldn't force the issue. He is a full grown man, and if by chance something happens that he needs it and doesn't have it then who will he have to blame? Sometimes we must let them take their hard knocks for them to understand.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Did you tell him that your concern was about a possible emergency in the future? Maybe he didn't think of that? Depending on how long he's been here, or his job status, maybe he doesn't have enough money and is ashamed to come out and say, "I can't afford it right now" - or maybe he feels that his money needs to go to more "useful" things. I'm not sure, but I think he will need a valid passport if he has to renew or extend his visa, etc. Maybe someone else knows better. Perhaps you can convince him by telling him that he needs to do it for USCIS????

it is a sweet thing that you are worried about the situation if he has leave urgently.but keep in mind leaving won,t be the issue comming back will, and he can always wait 2 to 3 months :devil: for his passport to be renewed in his home country to be able to come back.just tell him that and he will agree with you and renow it here. :blush: best of luck

Thank you - I will definitely bring that up!

The only thing is it pretty much rules out going there to visit next summer, which I was really hoping to do... unless I can convince him to renew it. I imagine it's SO much easier to renew an UNEXPIRED passport!

You can register and renew your passport via mail with the Moroccan Consulate simultaneously. There is no need to register the marriage in order to renew the passport.

Good - as much as I'd like him to register the marriage, it's more important to renew the passport in my opinion. Also, if I let him know that, maybe he'll be more likely to renew...

Thank you!

We bought a ticket for my husband to go back to Morocco, then when we looked for his passport we couldn't find it. I can't tell you how stressful that was! We had a hard time finding the correct embassy that would help us, but my husband finally did contact the correct one (Washington? Can't remember now). First off we need to register him at the consulate. They never said anything about registering the marriage, and I don't see why that would matter since it is registered in Morocco. Second we needed to send in the necessary items for the passport. For us we needed a police report showing that the passport was lost (that was the difficult part), the fees, and a prepaid express mail envelope. Those were a bit pricey, and although we were able to send the registration and the passport renewal request together, we weren't sure if we had to send 2 prepaid envelopes. So to be on the safe side, since we were dealing with a time limit, we sent 2. We mailed the packet on Monday, and we had his registration and the passport by Friday. I was amazed and relieved!

It does seem rather odd that he doesn't want to renew it, but to be honest I wouldn't force the issue. He is a full grown man, and if by chance something happens that he needs it and doesn't have it then who will he have to blame? Sometimes we must let them take their hard knocks for them to understand.

Yikes! I couldn't imagine the stress of losing a passport! We make sure to keep ours in a safe, so I don't have to worry so much. Our marriage, as far as I know, isn't registered in Morocco, though - we were married here. I heard it's a good idea to register the marriage for when we travel in Morocco. There might have been other reasons I heard, but I don't remember them all right now.

Yes, I realize I need to stop trying to protect him. At the same time, his headaches often become mine (he gets moody, and my kids and I don't need that). Plus, if he waits and then needs to get it 'renewed' or whatever after it expires, I'm sure it will be more expensive - and the extra cost comes out of our money. Also, it will basically ruin all chances of going to visit him family any time soon. I would really like to go, and don't want to wait until he gets his American passport. I suppose I could go alone, but... well, there's the language barrier (I'm still learning the language, and he's the only one in his family who really knows English), and just my general nervousness about traveling alone. (yeah - weird - but it didn't feel like I'd be traveling alone when I went to see him before the visa).

Sigh... I'm just looking for something quick and easy to tell him to convince him that he wants to do it. Y'know - avoid the BS. There have been a few things in our lives that have already complicated things enough, and I'm looking for a few breaks. I don't want to go into it, but it mainly has to do with my ex complicating things - and the lawyers and related bills are a little overwhelming. I know you've gone through quite a bit of ####### yourself with immigration, which wasn't your fault, so you probably understand. I just want to make whatever I can as easy as I can. I have been learning to force myself to let him make some mistakes. This is just one I'd rather avoid. It's good to be reminded to let him fend for himself sometimes, though - so thank you for that! :thumbs:

Did you tell him that your concern was about a possible emergency in the future? Maybe he didn't think of that? Depending on how long he's been here, or his job status, maybe he doesn't have enough money and is ashamed to come out and say, "I can't afford it right now" - or maybe he feels that his money needs to go to more "useful" things. I'm not sure, but I think he will need a valid passport if he has to renew or extend his visa, etc. Maybe someone else knows better. Perhaps you can convince him by telling him that he needs to do it for USCIS????

I will definitely bring up the emergency angle. The money isn't really the issue, I don't think. Hard to say - sometimes he has no problems spending money, and other times, he gets all tight fisted about it. It might just be that I brought it up when he didn't want to talk about it.

Sigh.

Thanks to everyone for your advice. If I can convince him, I'll let everyone know!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't know if this is the situation with your husband, but if mine didn't want to renew his passport, it would have nothing to do with any valid reason for not doing it. Rather, it would simply be a matter of not being motivated to actually send the paperwork out himself. Since it's important to you, perhaps if you offer to prepare the paperwork, he will be more amenable. Of course, it's not something that you should *have* to do for him, but you know what they say about wanting to get things done and doing them yourself...

He will have to wait until he becomes a citizen before he can get an American Passport right? So that would be awhile, two years after he gets his 10 year card or am I wrong?

Jul 20, 2006 Arrived in Amman, Jordan

Jul 24, 2006 Married in Amman, Jordan

Oct 11, 2006 I130 Approval Oct. 26, 2006 I129F Approval

Nov. 8, 2006 Recieved letter that I-129 was sent to Amman, Jordan

Dec 13, 2006 Recieved Package from Amman Embassy for K3 Intreview date Aug. 15,2007

Mar 05,2007 Embassy called interview scheduled for March 19th

Mar 19, 2007 Interview for K3- AP

May 20, 2007 Embassy called for Hasan to send in his passport!!!

May 24, 2007 Recieved Interview date of June 5th for CR1?

June 05, 2007 Interviewed and she said he was approved, kept passport and said will recieve in 4 days.

June 12, 2007 VISA IN HAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 21, 2007 Hasan arrived in the USA and so very happy!

June 26, 2007 Applied for SSN

July 06, 2007 SSN in hand

July 25, 2007 Green Card in Hand!

Aug 13, 2007 Behind the wheel test, Passed. Now has California DL

I-751

Mar 26, 2009 Sent in I-751

Mar 28, 2009 Proof received

April 1, 2009 check cashed

April 3, 2009 NOA Received

April 16,2009 received bio appt letter

April 24, 2009 Biometrics Appointment

June 6, 2009 Removal of Conditions Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 17, 2009 10 Year Green Card in hand!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Nope it could be only a few months even. My husband actually got his 10 yr card in July but we can apply this month for citizenship. All depends on how long processing takes.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

He will have to wait until he becomes a citizen before he can get an American Passport right? So that would be awhile, two years after he gets his 10 year card or am I wrong?

I'm not sure how long it will take to get his citizenship after getting his 10 year card. Depends on when his ROC gets approved (we're still waiting), etc. His 2 year card expired in July (he does have his extension letter).

However.....

His passport expires in a few months. Yes, he does have to wait until he gets citizenship to apply for a US passport, and he can't even apply for that until next year. Once he applies, I don't know how long it takes to get citizenship and do whatever else (?) needs to be done in order to apply for the US passport. Add on time waiting to actually get the passport after applying .... so yeah, it could easily be a year or even 2 total without a valid passport. I could understand him not wanting to bother if there was a chance he'd get the US passport before (or very shortly after) his Moroccan one expired, but it's not even close.

Nope it could be only a few months even. My husband actually got his 10 yr card in July but we can apply this month for citizenship. All depends on how long processing takes.

Good luck with citizenship!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Some men can be so stubborn can't they? :wacko: I hope you can find something that will finally get him to see the importance of getting this taken care of. :star:

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Sometimes we must let them take their hard knocks for them to understand.

Well said.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

FWIW, I have heard several people say it's virtually impossible to register a marriage in Morocco that took place here these days, Islamic marriage or not. We would like to do it also (although we would have preferred it before our son was born) but we'd heard such discouraging stories we put the idea aside.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.