Rustbelt

What if you have medical issues?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife has a chronic condition (relatively newly diagnosed) that is being treated. She's covered on my US employer's health insurance: we're right on the border, so this is more practical than it seems, and her own Canadian additional insurance won't cover her medications.

When Montreal gets around to sending us an interview date, she'll go for her medical. I was wondering if this will be an issue for the IR-1? Or, to ask it a different way, what documentation (if any) should she bring from her doctor about her health?

It's not a contagious disease, so I can't think it would be an issue, but thought I'd check. With all this waiting I'd hate for there to be yet MORE delays . . .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
My wife has a chronic condition (relatively newly diagnosed) that is being treated. She's covered on my US employer's health insurance: we're right on the border, so this is more practical than it seems, and her own Canadian additional insurance won't cover her medications.

When Montreal gets around to sending us an interview date, she'll go for her medical. I was wondering if this will be an issue for the IR-1? Or, to ask it a different way, what documentation (if any) should she bring from her doctor about her health?

It's not a contagious disease, so I can't think it would be an issue, but thought I'd check. With all this waiting I'd hate for there to be yet MORE delays . . .

Hmmm would you mind telling us the condition specifically? That may help.... It could go either way, depending on what the condition is.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

They may inquire about health insurance at the interview.

When i went for my medical, the Dr. thought they found a heart murmur and noted it on my file. At my interview, the interviewer asked if I would have health coverage and how (through my husband's employer) and she seemed satisfied with that answer. In hindsight I realized that she was probably asking because they noted that I'm healthy but have a slight heart murmur.

I did end up getting it checked out by my regular Dr. and I don't have one in the end...

I think if she's being treated, it's not a public health hazard and you have health coverage, you'll be fine!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

When I went for my medical Dr. Seiden was training a new practitioner and I was able to get a little insight into what they look for at the medical. There are a couple "conditions" doctors are told to look for, the big one being HIV or AIDS, the second being drug use, and the third being alcoholism. The doctor even said flat out that they don't really care what you have as long as you don't fall under one of those categories. I believe his words were, "you could have cancer, they don't really care." I don't know how accurate this is, but he should has his information straight, no? He also told the trainee people come over on K-1's because its easier to get a GC if you aren't married when you enter :lol: (I just kinda smiled...)

Timeline

I have type 1 diabetes - one of the conditions noted in class B. We discussed it during my medical and the doctor said it won't cause any problems. She was right - never a question or a concern throughout the whole immigration process. If it isn't contagious or fits the HIV/drug use/alcholism concerns it won't have an impact on your immigration process. It is just one more thing you need to address though, for your own personal lives. In fact, the health insurance coverage and receipts for treatment/prescriptions are good evidence for the Removal of Conditions application if you get the conditional green card. The good thing she is already covered under your own medical insurance - that is the big one. Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks all. I don't want to get into too much detail on a public forum, but yes, it's more along the lines of diabetes than, say, TB so I appreciate your feedback.

We've actually been married since 2001 so I think we qualify for the IR1, but it's good to know that being on my insurance is seen as good "valid relationship" evidence. ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.