tigretigre

That's the sound of the police!

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So my fiance's not yet applied to get his police certificate from the big guns in London. We didn't realize we'd get approved as quickly we did, and I was also under the impression that the certificate was only good for four months or so (not 12, as is actually the case, and I swear by my best tube of Chapstick that the Embassy site said 4 when I was first doing my research).

On top of that, he went to his local station today and was told that "they don't do that" there, and that he had to write away for the form to apply. Now he's out of town on vacay and won't be getting to it until next week, and people have told me they are not speedy about issuing those certificates.

They're not speedy about giving interview dates at the Embassy either, though. I'm wondering if, having sent off for your certificate, it's okay to send back the checklist and form that says "yes, I am ready to interview" before the certificate actually reaches your doorstep. They do have to issue the certificate within 40 days of recieving your request, and we haven't even gotten Packet 3 yet...we were approved only two days ago, in fact.

I have project insanity at work in October, and we're hoping to get the interview date before then so that I stand a chance of being able to go. Having to wait until the darn thing is actually in my fiance's hand before sending back the readiness form would suuuuuuuck.

Thanks for helping,

Tigre

I am not a practicing attorney. I have a law degree and I passed the bar exam, but am not admitted to practice because I got a job in legal publishing and haven't gotten around to applying for my license yet. Publishing is great, but it does not make you qualified to give legal advice. So I don't. I just want to get married to my fella, which is why I'm here! If you need legal help, seek the advice of a licensed attorney.

Timeline of the Tigre

September 2004 - Tigre meets Dan while prowling about aimlessly

December 2004 - Dan visits Tigreland, USA

May 2005 - Tigre goes to England, Dan pops the question!

December 2005 - Christmas in England with Tigre and Dan

May 19th 2006 - Dan and Tigre's K1 petition received by VSC

May 25th 2006 - NOA1 issued...we're on our way!

June 20 2006 - RFE sent by VSC

June 26 2006 - RFE returned Express to VSC

July 10 2006 - NOA2...let's go check out the NVC!

July 17 2006 - email from NVC--case was sent to London!

July 21 2006 - Dan, meet Packet 3!

August 4, 2006 - Packet 3 returned

August 16, 2006 - sassy Tigre emails the embassy "just making sure the packet got there"

August 17, 2006 - Embassy e-mails back: Packet 4 is on its way!

Medical: August 24

Interview: September 15

8-12-2004 I moved to New Zealand(married my Kiwi in US 5/04)

1-12-2006 Received initial packet - It has I-130, I-864 & DS-230 Part 1, DS-2001 & tons of instructions.

Gathering paperwork that we don't have:

5-30-2006 - I-130 FILED AND ACCEPTED BY AUCKLAND CONSULATE!- INTERVIEW: 6/13/2006

6-13-2006 - APPROVED!usaCa.gifnew_zeaC3.gif

6-14-2006 - VISA IN HAND D_SMIL112.gif

08-05-2006 -WE ARE HOME IN THE USA!!! flag12.gif

THREE HAPPY YEARS LATER:

5-10-09 - N-400 filed

8-24-09 - Interview

9-14-09 - Naturalization Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

OK after a lot of digging around, I finally found what I needed: the Subject Access Request Form for the West Midlands Police. The process itself is now crystal clear to me.

My original question remains: if my fiance sends in his application for the police certificate, and then we get Packet 3 with the interview readiness checklist, can we return it to the Embassy with all the boxes checked even though the certificate has not yet arrived? We'd know it was coming, because they've only got 40 days, and we'd have it in time for the interview. Or must it physically be in his hot little hand before we can send in the readiness checklist?

Tigre

I am not a practicing attorney. I have a law degree and I passed the bar exam, but am not admitted to practice because I got a job in legal publishing and haven't gotten around to applying for my license yet. Publishing is great, but it does not make you qualified to give legal advice. So I don't. I just want to get married to my fella, which is why I'm here! If you need legal help, seek the advice of a licensed attorney.

Timeline of the Tigre

September 2004 - Tigre meets Dan while prowling about aimlessly

December 2004 - Dan visits Tigreland, USA

May 2005 - Tigre goes to England, Dan pops the question!

December 2005 - Christmas in England with Tigre and Dan

May 19th 2006 - Dan and Tigre's K1 petition received by VSC

May 25th 2006 - NOA1 issued...we're on our way!

June 20 2006 - RFE sent by VSC

June 26 2006 - RFE returned Express to VSC

July 10 2006 - NOA2...let's go check out the NVC!

July 17 2006 - email from NVC--case was sent to London!

July 21 2006 - Dan, meet Packet 3!

August 4, 2006 - Packet 3 returned

August 16, 2006 - sassy Tigre emails the embassy "just making sure the packet got there"

August 17, 2006 - Embassy e-mails back: Packet 4 is on its way!

Medical: August 24

Interview: September 15

Tigre,

Are you sure the police certificate will arrive before your interview is scheduled? If you have a great degree of certainty, then you can go ahead and send in the checklist. I don't think the Consulate would hold it against you if you sent the checklist back before physically obtaining the certificate.

OK after a lot of digging around, I finally found what I needed: the Subject Access Request Form for the West Midlands Police. The process itself is now crystal clear to me.

My original question remains: if my fiance sends in his application for the police certificate, and then we get Packet 3 with the interview readiness checklist, can we return it to the Embassy with all the boxes checked even though the certificate has not yet arrived? We'd know it was coming, because they've only got 40 days, and we'd have it in time for the interview. Or must it physically be in his hot little hand before we can send in the readiness checklist?

Tigre

DCF (Germany)

April 7, 2006 - Married

April 15, 2006 - I-130 sent to Frankfurt Consulate

April 22, 2006 - I-130 returned to us (personal checks not acceptable)

April 24, 2006 - I-130 resubmitted with Credit Card Payment Form

June 14, 2006 - I-130 Approved

June 15, 2006 - Packet 3 Received

June 16, 2006 - OF-169 & Passport (Biographical Page Only) faxed to the Consulate

June 17, 2006 - DS 230 Part 1 & OF-169 mailed to the Consulate

June 26, 2006 - Packet 4 Received

June 27, 2006 - Medical Examination in Berlin

July 21, 2006 - Interview at Frankfurt Consulate

July 21, 2006 - Visa Approved!

August 22, 2006 - America!

July 26, 2008 - I-751 sent to VSC

August 1, 2008 - Check cashed

August 1, 2008 - NOA-1 received

September 9, 2008 - Biometics Appointment

March 12, 2009 - Transfer from VSC to CSC?

March 16, 2009 - Approved (10-year green card should be mailed within 60 days)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.