Satisfaction

Faith communities in Support Of Comprehensive Immigration Reform

2 posts in this topic

In an extraordinary demonstration of unity; religious groups—Christian, Jewish and Muslim—are joining forces to push a comprehensive approach to reforming our broken immigration system. Late last year, over a hundred faith based leaders and organizations signed on to an “Interfaith Statement in Support of Comprehensive Immigration Reform” which calls for a “safe and humane immigration system consistent with our values.”

In an article last week, the Christian Science Monitor featured this effort pointing out that:

While faith leaders support the need to enforce the law and protect national security, many say that a strict emphasis on enforcement not only fails to reflect American values and history, but has already backfired. Only reform that includes safe, legal avenues for workers needed in US society, they add, can deal realistically with the economic and social forces at work. (Christian Science Monitor, “Faith Groups Press for Balanced Approach to Immigration”, Feb. 2, 2006)

http://www.immigrationforum.org/DesktopDef....aspx?tabid=796

Sometimes I think I know everything, and I regain consciousness. Seen it all, done it all, forgot most of it....

So much plenitude, yet so much emptiness

everest-summit.jpg

The Journey, Part I: I-129F (K-3)

I 129F sent to Chicago 11/14/05

NOA1 12/14/05, received by snail mail 12/23/05

NOA2 01/17/06, received by snail mail 01/20/05

Received Packet "3" 02/17/06

Medicals done in Nairobi 03/22/06

VISA APPROVED in Nairobi 03/30/06

Husband arrives ni USA!

The Journey, Part II: EAD and AOS

EAD mailed to Chicago 05/17/06

horserun.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

Charity can only be given from one's own resources. In advocating amnesty for 10 - 12+ million illegal aliens as well as massive expansion of legal immigration into the USA, these religious groups are being extrordinarily generous with other people's jobs, livelyhood, educational opportunities, health care, and other precious resources that affect the quality of life.

Since churches and religions are tax exempt in the USA, maybe we should take a good hard look at organizations that advocate giving away other people's resources. Maybe they should lose their tax exempt status so they can help society pay for the generousity they advocate.

While they are free to say what they want, at some point they cross the line of becoming a political organization that actively influences their congregations in the arena of politics. At that point they should lose their tax exemption as religious organizations.

I wonder if these religious leaders or their congregations would be so generous if the had to PERSONALLY sign a legally binding I-864 Affidavit of Support for each and every one of these immigrants? NAW! I didn't think so!

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.