wil

N400 Interview - Downtown Manhattan (Federal Plaze)

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Hi, we just had N400 interview at downtown Manhattan (Federal Plaza) yesterday.

A lot of people got there early. I think we were set for the 1st batch to interview (7:25am). But my wife was not called until 8:50am. It took her about 20 minutes. However I did see others even took longer. I think nothing is easy at NYC! I believe the officers ask for many more questions than anywhere else.

The officer asked a lot of questions. Since she was questioned so much and she could not recall all. The 1st question was 'can i see your birth certificate'? My wife did not bring her birth certificate only mine! She explained to the officer that hers was submitted at her 1st application when she was applying for K-1. The officer took a look at the thick file and was searching for my wife's birth certificate. She did not say anything after this. We don't know if she found it or not. But we never knew they still asked for birth cert at N400? We knew they need citizen spouse's birth cert.

The officer asked for 'What's your husband's name? Where is he living? What's his company's name? What's his occupation? Are you married? Did you pay tax?' My wife gave her the tax transcript from 2005-2008. She took everything and even read them page by page and she filed them. She also asked where my wife is working? What's her occupation? What's her current employer's name and address?

She asked my wife what kind of documents she brought today. My wife had our mutual bank statement, utility bills, rental statement. She grabbed all and took 3 each and filed them. Fortunately my wife did take 2 more passport photos with her to the interview because she did not like the ones we submitted with the original application. We don't know if this is lucky or unlucky...

The officer asked all those routine 'yes' & 'No' question right after. And then asked my wife to read and write a sentence, then 6 questions. She got it all correctly.

My wife told me the officer spoke really fast! There is no even a short 'break'. The officer has no smiling face. When she asked my wife 'do you have children'? My wife said 'not yet but it's on the way.' The officer said 'so you are pregnant'. She did not even say 'Congratulations'.

In the end, the officer said 'okay, you passed the test but we are going to review your files and will mail you the decision'.

It's not a too bad interview but my wife said she just felt a little bit 'rough' even we submitted all required documents and brought enough paperwork.

We would like to know if anyone who had interview at the same place as we did? Is it normal to have no result at the interview? How long will they mail us the decision?

We would like to know if anyone who had interview at the same place as we did? Is it normal to have no result at the interview? How long will they mail us the decision?

My husband had his naturalization test at the same place (last December)and they asked him for his taxes but he did not walk with it but asked if they are in order, at that time we had our I-130 pending, she (IO) just mentioned it, she also about our son how old is he and then proceeded to ask 7 questions. After which it was lunch time and about 2:00pm they called him and said he passed, and his oath ceremony will be at the local court house (close to where we live) about 2 weeks after. They gave him a letter saying he passed and time,place of the oath, very straight forward and simple.

This is the first time I've heard about your situation but probably someone else may have experienced the same as you.

Once your wife answered all questions correctly I don't think you have anything to worry about. :thumbs:

12/30/05 - married

7/14/06 - sent I-130

7/18/06 - notice of arrival I-130

8/03/09 - received approval I-130

7/28/09 - sent AOS package

7/29/09 - arrived Chicago lockbox

8/05/09 - touched

8/07/09 - received notice of arrival I-485

8/07/09 - received Biometrics appoitment notice for 9/2/09

8/22/09 - did walk-in biometrics (in/out within 30 minutes)

8/25/09 - touched

10/23/09 - received interview appoitment letter for 11/24/09

11/24/09 - Interview - approved received I-551 stamp

11/25/09 - received email from USCIS - card production ordered

11/28/09 - received welcome letter from USCIS (by mail)

11/30/09 - received email from USCIS - card production ordered

12/02/09 - received email from USCIS - I-1485 approval noticed mailed out

12/03/09 - touched

12/05/09 - received 10 year green card in the mail, Thank you Jesus

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

I wonder if this was the same officer as mine

a blonde lady in her thirties?

she asked me for a lot of documents too

and everything was very organized,

and I couldn't keep my stuff on the desk in front of me

I also didn't get a decision right away (she wasn't sure if she had enough bona fide evidence)

But I got the interview letter two weeks later

NYC has really some of the best interviews ;)

Edited by krysia

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Our officer is dark hair in her 30's. She looks more friendly (my husband said) than she is after I told him my interview experience.

I think NYC interview is the toughest. You can expect anything.

So Krysia, you did not get immediate approval at the interview but you got the approval letter in the mail two weeks later after your interview. Correct? Did you get your oath letter yet?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline
Our officer is dark hair in her 30's. She looks more friendly (my husband said) than she is after I told him my interview experience.

I think NYC interview is the toughest. You can expect anything.

So Krysia, you did not get immediate approval at the interview but you got the approval letter in the mail two weeks later after your interview. Correct? Did you get your oath letter yet?

YES, i passed the test but got a note "a decision cannot be made at this time"

2 weeks later I got the oath invitation letter,

My oath was on July 24

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.