charlie&pam

meeting her family for the first TIME!!!

75 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I must have gotten lucky. The family didn't want any money from me. They even refused the town school from giving me a letter requesting money for the school. They wouldn't allow them to give it to me.

I wish you the best of luck.

sounds like you got really luck!!!!!!!!1 good for you

Well, everyone is different, when My bf (now is my hubby) visited Me first time He asked me what kind of a gift He will bring for me and to My Family, I told him it doesn't really a big deal, just let see if We click in person cause it's different when We are communicating in the phone or in the internet. and if We click in person, maybe in your 2 or 3 visits you can bring me or send Me a gift, as long as that is what you like to do,but the most important thing is, just be yourself. :innocent: What I'm trying to say here is, some women are not comfortable to accept a gift from a stranger. don't get Me wrong I never said accepting a gift from a stranger is wrong. however, if I have to request a gift from My fiance, I'm sure is not toys,soaps,or an old clothes. it should be flowers or a yummy good chocolate. :devil::blink::hehe:

anyway, o.p. go ahead and give them gifts.

also what about the gift giving process she is telling me soaps & perfumes for the girls and toys and candy for the kids but what i don't understand she told me to bring my old clothes for the men????? is that really ok? ......and my last question is when would me a good time to formally ask her dad for his daughters hand? Do I do it at the party? Thank you all!!!!!

thank you .....she has alot of nieces and nephews so I was going to go to the dollar store to pick things up there...lol

Try go to the SALVATION ARMY I figured the things they sell are NOT ALL second hand, there are plenty of name brands clothes, toys etc. just went there yesterday bought a figurine; and an old dolls collection which you can't find in most stores.: :blush:

good idea

what would I do without the love you give me.

http://www.slide.com/r/OCQnah5Yvj-ae3fW-YNXizAEbWcGzFT1?previous_view=mscd_embedded_url&view=original

I-129F

09-18-09 I-129F sent Fed-Ex

09-21-09 package was signed for at service center

09-23-06 touched

09-26-09 received NOA1

12-18-09 touched!!!!

12-19-09 got the approval email and text !!!!!

12-21-09 touched!!!!

12-23-09 touched!!!!

12-23-09 received NOA2

12-24-09 NVC received approval!!!!!

01-05-10 NVC told me under Additional Processing!!!!!

01-11-10 NVC sent to manila!!!!!

01-15-10 Manila received DHL

01-20-10 Set interview dates for 02-08-2010

01-25-10 Medical - PASSED!!THANK GOD..

02-08-10 Interview- PASSED!!!! PRAISE GOD..

02-11-10 Received VISA!!!!!GOD IS GREAT..

02-23-10 Bye Phil.Welcome USA!!!Be with me GOD

flight Hawaiin Air leaves 7:50pm arrives 11:59pm in Phoenix!!!!

02-23-10 ARRIVED @ PHOENIX...yepeyyyy........

04-16-10 OUR WEDDING....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

04-21-10 Applied SSN

04-28-10 SSN Recieved

flag.png

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
I must have gotten lucky. The family didn't want any money from me. They even refused the town school from giving me a letter requesting money for the school. They wouldn't allow them to give it to me.

Well regardless of all that - if it happened or didn't happen - the bottom line is that you love eachother and you want to be together. Just be sure of it, and if you are, you should be together, and you'll be happy.

Thats all.

K-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2009-08-14

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-08-18

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-23

NVC Received : 2009-10-27

NVC Left : 2009-11-06

Consulate Received : 2009-11-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-11-27

Interview Date : 2009-12-16

Interview Result : APPROVED

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Marriage :

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 66 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 120 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Timeline

Lol, that's kinda my point. The TOWN SCHOOL was even wanting some of the action, how much more her relatives. You lucked out that they didn't actually ask YOU, but i can almost guarantee you that your girl dealt with it when she was alone with them.

so you think that they are giving her a hard time? how should I ask her about that I know she is a very proud but timid person

http://www.slide.com/r/OCQnah5Yvj-ae3fW-YNXizAEbWcGzFT1?previous_view=mscd_embedded_url&view=original

I-129F

09-23-06 touched

09-26-09 received NOA1

12-18-09 touched!!!!

12-21-09 touched!!!!

12-23-09 touched!!!!

12-23-09 received NOA2

04-16-10 OUR WEDDING....

04-21-10 Applied SSN

04-28-10 SSN Recieved

flag.png

Timeline
ok thank you ......she said that her father is a councilman for something like that? what is that ????? Is that why they want it to be a big thing?

Probably because they want to invite the whole barrio, they're going to invite plenty of people; and that is including the father friends and co-workers etc. Her father is a COUNCELOR work in the barangay,a job something related for the goverment. :help:

SO THAT MEANS I AM GOING TO BE UNDER THE MICROSCOPE!!!! GREAT LIKE I AM NOT NERVOUS ENOUGH!!!!! LOL

Bro, relax, these are a simple, kind and special people. Its the reason we marry their daughters. You will be very surprised to find you will be treated like a rock star!!!!. You will be called SIR, you will have doors opened for you. The girls will giggle and sneak looks at you. The men will shake your hand gladly and smile. Be yourself. The fact he is a Counselor should not make a difference.

The only hard hard thing about this whole trip? ...............Will be leaving. ENJOY and quit worrying so much.

Let me suggest to you two tings to bring with you to give to her as a gift.

1. A Laptop. if she is chatting to you from a cafe, this will be the best gift anyone can bring.

2. a Digital camera. Let her collect photos of her family and friends and familiar places before she leaves her home.

Both gifts I brought to Naty and she was grateful and thanks me even now. Oh, make sure the camera uses AA batteries which they have plenty of. Also the Laptop will work as the adapter is rated for both 110 and 220.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent : 2008-08-21

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-08-29

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-01-26

NVC Received : 2009-02-02

NVC Left : 2009-02-09

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2009-02-14

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2009-07-16

Visa Received : 2009-07-22

US Entry : 2009-08-11

Marriage : 2009-08-21

Comments : She recived the first notice from Manila on Valentines day. Perfect timing.

The first setback came during the medical. Naty had to do the 3 day sputum and then we waited 2 months for the results. YESSSS>came back negative

Went for her interview on July 16th and received her Pink Slip......Finally. Paid the AIR21 and I expect her here August 10th, 2009. Marriage will be August 21st, exactly 4 years to the day that we first met.

Timeline

Well regardless of all that - if it happened or didn't happen - the bottom line is that you love eachother and you want to be together. Just be sure of it, and if you are, you should be together, and you'll be happy.

Thats all.

quick and to the point i like how you think about it all

ok thank you ......she said that her father is a councilman for something like that? what is that ????? Is that why they want it to be a big thing?

Probably because they want to invite the whole barrio, they're going to invite plenty of people; and that is including the father friends and co-workers etc. Her father is a COUNCELOR work in the barangay,a job something related for the goverment. :help:

SO THAT MEANS I AM GOING TO BE UNDER THE MICROSCOPE!!!! GREAT LIKE I AM NOT NERVOUS ENOUGH!!!!! LOL

Bro, relax, these are a simple, kind and special people. Its the reason we marry their daughters. You will be very surprised to find you will be treated like a rock star!!!!. You will be called SIR, you will have doors opened for you. The girls will giggle and sneak looks at you. The men will shake your hand gladly and smile. Be yourself. The fact he is a Counselor should not make a difference.

The only hard hard thing about this whole trip? ...............Will be leaving. ENJOY and quit worrying so much.

Let me suggest to you two tings to bring with you to give to her as a gift.

1. A Laptop. if she is chatting to you from a cafe, this will be the best gift anyone can bring.

2. a Digital camera. Let her collect photos of her family and friends and familiar places before she leaves her home.

Both gifts I brought to Naty and she was grateful and thanks me even now. Oh, make sure the camera uses AA batteries which they have plenty of. Also the Laptop will work as the adapter is rated for both 110 and 220.

great idea

I-129F

09-23-06 touched

09-26-09 received NOA1

12-18-09 touched!!!!

12-21-09 touched!!!!

12-23-09 touched!!!!

12-23-09 received NOA2

04-16-10 OUR WEDDING....

04-21-10 Applied SSN

04-28-10 SSN Recieved

flag.png

Filed: Other Timeline

I just bought 1 big pig 2 months ago it cost about 3,500 pesos. but if you want to buy already roasted pig it will cost more than than.

I think 2 or 3 pigs are enough for the whole barrio.

"True Love is never associated with violence,deception,abuse ( emotional,physical or verbal) constant sacrifice for the good of only one person,jealousy,fear or mistrust"

------------------------------------------

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Help is available to callers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Hotline advocates are available for victims and anyone calling on their behalf to provide crisis intervention, safety planning, information and referrals to agencies in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Assistance is available in English and Spanish with access to more than 170 languages through interpreter services. If you or someone you know is frightened about something in your relationship, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well, everyone is different, when My bf (now is my hubby) visited Me first time He asked me what kind of a gift He will bring for me and to My Family, I told him it doesn't really a big deal, just let see if We click in person cause it's different when We are communicating in the phone or in the internet. and if We click in person, maybe in your 2 or 3 visits you can bring me or send Me a gift, as long as that is what you like to do,but the most important thing is, just be yourself. :innocent: What I'm trying to say here is, some women are not comfortable to accept a gift from a stranger. don't get Me wrong I never said accepting a gift from a stranger is wrong. however, if I have to request a gift from My fiance, I'm sure is not toys,soaps,or an old clothes. it should be flowers or a yummy good chocolate. :devil::blink::hehe:

also what about the gift giving process she is telling me soaps & perfumes for the girls and toys and candy for the kids but what i don't understand she told me to bring my old clothes for the men????? is that really ok? ......and my last question is when would me a good time to formally ask her dad for his daughters hand? Do I do it at the party? Thank you all!!!!!

thank you .....she has alot of nieces and nephews so I was going to go to the dollar store to pick things up there...lol

Try go to the SALVATION ARMY I figured the things they sell are NOT ALL second hand, there are plenty of name brands clothes, toys etc. just went there yesterday bought a figurine; and an old dolls collection which you can't find in most stores.: :blush:

good idea

No, giving gifts from the Salvation Army or any other thrift store for that matter is a very bad idea. You don't want your sweetheart's relatives and friends to be using recycled things, some of them coming from dead people. Your used clothes may be okay as hand me downs though. You could be in trouble now; she could have read your good idea about buying Salvation Army merchandise. :whistle:

arizona_fi_huge_md_clr.gif

Bro, relax, these are a simple, kind and special people. Its the reason we marry their daughters. You will be very surprised to find You you will be treated like a rock star!!!!. will be called SIR, you will have doors opened for you. The girls will giggle and sneak looks at you. The men will shake your hand gladly and smile. Be yourself. The fact he is a Counselor should not make a difference.

People in the PI address the stranger "SIR" to Filipino or NON Filipino people. so, don't surprise about it. it's a way of respecting too.

People there will "OPEN DOOR" for anyone because most doors there are NOT AUTOMATIC. did you notice in the bank or in SM MALL there are 2 or 3 guards in the door standing up to open the door for the people to come in. not only that for other security reason also. :innocent::devil:

"True Love is never associated with violence,deception,abuse ( emotional,physical or verbal) constant sacrifice for the good of only one person,jealousy,fear or mistrust"

Help is available to callers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Hotline advocates are available for victims and anyone calling on their behalf to provide crisis intervention, safety planning, information and referrals to agencies in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Assistance is available in English and Spanish with access to more than 170 languages through interpreter services. If you or someone you know is frightened about something in your relationship, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.

Timeline

good idea

No, giving gifts from the Salvation Army or any other thrift store for that matter is a very bad idea. You don't want your sweetheart's relatives and friends to be using recycled things, some of them coming from dead people. Your used clothes may be okay as hand me downs though. You could be in trouble now; she could have read your good idea about buying Salvation Army merchandise. :whistle:

hehe ....i showed her the site but she said that she really doesnt understand it .....

Bro, relax, these are a simple, kind and special people. Its the reason we marry their daughters. You will be very surprised to find You you will be treated like a rock star!!!!. will be called SIR, you will have doors opened for you. The girls will giggle and sneak looks at you. The men will shake your hand gladly and smile. Be yourself. The fact he is a Counselor should not make a difference.

People in the PI address the stranger "SIR" to Filipino or NON Filipino people. so, don't surprise about it. it's a way of respecting too.

People there will "OPEN DOOR" for anyone because most doors there are NOT AUTOMATIC. did you notice in the bank or in SM MALL there are 2 or 3 guards in the door standing up to open the door for the people to come in. not only that for other security reason also. :innocent::devil:

lol

I-129F

09-23-06 touched

09-26-09 received NOA1

12-18-09 touched!!!!

12-21-09 touched!!!!

12-23-09 touched!!!!

12-23-09 received NOA2

04-16-10 OUR WEDDING....

04-21-10 Applied SSN

04-28-10 SSN Recieved

flag.png

People there will "OPEN DOOR" for anyone because most doors there are NOT AUTOMATIC. did you notice in the bank or in SM MALL there are 2 or 3 guards in the door standing up to open the door for the people to come in. also, for other security reason. :innocent::devil:

The girls will giggle and sneak looks at you.

SOME, not ALL. last time I was there in SM mall I've seen a disable guy with a young and pretty pinay holding hands together. :blink:

The men will shake your hand gladly and smile.

That is normal too, local men will do the same to other local.

Timeline
You're basically gonna step off the plane as Donald Trump in their eyes. My girl was constantly bombarded with financial requests from just about every relative. The requests ranged from buying MP3 players for cousins, to paying other relative's debts off. Some of which were hundreds of dollars.

Quite honestly that was the worst thing about the PI for me. It seemed like EVERY SINGLE person wanted money from me. It got old real quick and even started to wear me out in a very negative way.

Be prepared, and be stern with your girl with regards to your budget.

really that bad???? so did it ruin your trip?

Nah man, not at all. My girl is worth every grief in the world. The second trip was better though cause i knew to expect it. I have helped her family alot, and will continue to as long as i am with my girl. They just have an old-school mind-set that if you're Amerikano, you're rich.

As far as being in public, if you've ever been to Mexico, it's kinda like that. You know, like if you're walking to a taxi, some random guy will jump in front of you and act like HE'S the reason it stopped. Then he asks for money. Or if you're pulling into a parking spot, some dude will run up and GUIDE you into the spot, lol, then ask for money.

Then there's the actual beggars. If you eat at a fast food restaurant near the street, be sure and sit away from the windows, or atleast YOU don't face the windows...it's hard to eat when 5-10 kids have their faces smashed against the glass with agonizing looks of pain on their faces.

If you watch them fter you give them money usually you'll see them run off to go gamble it away or buy something to huff on.

All this stuff is expected in any 3rd world country IMO.

Edited by rockhouse
29ngqhd.jpg

good idea

LOL..I expected this kind of answer....I was thinking the same thing about it too. :bonk::rofl:

I was not really serious about it. it's up to the o.p. He is adult and I'm sure He know's what He's doing... yes, it is not a good idea to buy used things as gifts. :bonk::P:D

good idea

LOL..I expected this kind of answer....I was thinking the same thing about it too. :bonk::rofl:

I was not really serious about it. it's up to the o.p. He is adult and I'm sure He know's what He's doing... yes, it is not a good idea to buy used things as gifts. :bonk::P:D

If you are rich O.P. I suggest go to this store http://www.neimanmarcus.com/ :innocent:

You'd be fine with the chocolates. Brand clothes are ok but you really dont want to show off as someone rich. Even when they consider 'Fruit of the Loom' a cool brand. Bring gifts specifically for the Mom and the Dad. In the Philippines, there is a saying that courting the girl means courting her parents.

Mano or putting the back of the hand to your forehead is a must. Dont kiss anyone, not even in the hand. They may look pleased, but theyd be disgusted if your lips touch their hands, especially because you're a guy.

Be prepared to answer questions like what you do for living, do you go to church, how's your parents and what do they do kind of stuff.

Oh and if the dad or brothers ask you to drink with them, dont drink too much. Sometimes they use that as a test to makes sure your not some alcoholic loser marrying their daughter.

When you eat the mom or the dad's cooking, always say it tastes good no matter what it tastes like.

I grew up in the Philippines so I know this stuff. Good luck!

K-1
Mar 19, 2009 I-129F Package sent
Mar 30, 2009 NOA1
Jul 27, 2009 RFE Notice Email / Jul 31, 2009 RFE Letter Received / Aug 01, 2009 RFE Reply sent
Aug 06, 2009 NOA2
Aug 17, 2009 NVC received case / Aug 18, 2009 NVC forwarded to USEM / Aug 24, 2009 Package received in USEM
Sep 01, 2009 Medical Passed
Sep 25, 2009 Interview
Oct 10, 2009 Visa Received
Oct 14, 2009 Arrived at U.S.
Oct 26, 2009 Married in San Francisco

AOS
Nov 12, 2009 I-485 Package sent
Nov 19, 2009 NOA1
Dec 08, 2009 RFE Received / Dec 23, 2009 RFE Reply sent

Dec 17, 2009 Biometrics Appt
Jan 20, 2010 AP and EAD approved / Jan 26, 2010 AP received
Jan 27, 2010 Interview letter received
Feb 25, 2010 AOS Interview
Mar 04, 2010 Green Card Received

Removal of Conditions
Dec 21, 2011 I-751 Package sent

Dec 23, 2011 NOA1

Feb 13, 2012 Biometrics Appt

Jun 19, 2012 10-year GC Received

US Citizenship
Jan 16, 2013 N-400 Package sent

Jan 22, 2013 NOA1

Feb 15, 2013 Biometrics Appt

Apr 02, 2013 Citizenship Interview

Apr 23, 2013 Oath Ceremony

the first time my husband met my dad, he shook my dad's hand . each time he arrives from the usa and before he leaves, he does it. he also shakes hands with my relatives whenever i introduce him. im not so sure about the hand me downs but since your girl says you can bring your old clothes, then i guess thats ok with them. each family is different and some families might not feel comfortable with that. all i can say is, dont do anything that will also make you uncomfortable, just be yourself. and try to be wary about too much money spending. dont make them think you have so much to spare since i believe this might cause a problem in the future.

feb. 26,2008-----noa1

aug. 26, 2008----transferred to csc

sept. 19, 2008--- approved

NVC:

sept. 26, 2008----got case # from a live operator

oct. 6, 2008 ------received AOS bill/paid online

oct. 7, 2008 ------shows PAID

oct. 14,2008 -----IV fee generated/ paid online

oct. 15,2008 -----shows PAID

oct. 16,2008 -----mailed DS230 overnight

oct. 23,2008 ---- RFE

nov. 3,2008 ----- case complete

nov. 26,2008 --- medical exam

aug. 14,2009 --- remedical finally, passed

aug. 24, 2009 -- interview , passed

aug. 29, 2009 -- visa in hand

sept. 24, 2009 -- POE LAX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.