charlie&pam

meeting her family for the first TIME!!!

75 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
thank you .....she has alot of nieces and nephews so I was going to go to the dollar store to pick things up there...lol

No, don't you ever do that, bubba! They don't care for cheap stuff in the PI. Furthermore, your luggage will be stocked with worthless things. Just be prepared to hand out $10 to every niece and nephew. :thumbs:

The South shall rise again!

confederate_flag-2.gif

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I put Ana's parent's hands on my forehead when I first met them, and every time i left, or came back to their home. Also in their church service during the hand-shaking, Ana and I put her older relatives hands on our foreheads. When I first did it to her parents, they were extremely impressed, and her mom immediately called me "good boy" and was laughing all giddy like. The final time I left, I gave them both a big hug on top of the forehead thing, and that was another good impression. I am IN!

Now when I talk to her on the phone they tell me how much they miss me, and want me to come back. I guess I made a good impression - WHEW....

K-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2009-08-14

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-08-18

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-23

NVC Received : 2009-10-27

NVC Left : 2009-11-06

Consulate Received : 2009-11-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-11-27

Interview Date : 2009-12-16

Interview Result : APPROVED

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Marriage :

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 66 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 120 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Timeline
Hello all, I love this sight so I finally set up an account. Well I am meeting my girls family next week for the first time and have some questions that I am hoping you fellow vjr's to help me with. her and her parents will pick me up at the airport do I do mano po when i meet them or is that old school? also I am paying for a party the next day for all her family to meet me ....i don't mind but is there a limit on how much i should spend or get? .....also what about the gift giving process she is telling me soaps & perfumes for the girls and toys and candy for the kids but what i don't understand she told me to bring my old clothes for the men????? is that really ok? ......and my last question is when would me a good time to formally ask her dad for his daughters hand? Do I do it at the party? Thank you all!!!!!

Hi,

Naty is just in from the Philippines and she said this:

Mano Po - Shake the hand or touch the hand to the head is fine. I shook hands and this was fine. NO HUGGING

if you wish to ask for the blessing, it is fine to say like this

Sir, I love your daughter very much and I would like to ask you and your wife for your blessing if you will accept me as your son in law.

As far as toys and gifts. Man, don't kill yourself with trying to buy everyone everything. That can be counter-productive. You can buy some things for the family there much cheaper then here.

Naty is saying 4 or 5 pigs is fine, depending on the nuimber of people. They will prepare the food ahead for you, believe me, with no problem. I guess you can get fish and other things. soda, san miguel beer, etc.

Do not try to impress everyone by throwing money down. Come across as a conservative American, generous, but show wisdom in your spending.

if you have old clothes, sure you can bring them, thats your call.

Good Luck on your journey there.

Brian & Naty

thank you that is very very helpful.....4 or 5 pigs?????

HAHAHA, ok, she said 1 pig is for 70 people. A large pig is about 150 US. JUST buy the pigs, no other main courses. Rice 2 50Kilo sacks. The drinks can be coke and San Miguel.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent : 2008-08-21

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-08-29

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-01-26

NVC Received : 2009-02-02

NVC Left : 2009-02-09

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2009-02-14

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2009-07-16

Visa Received : 2009-07-22

US Entry : 2009-08-11

Marriage : 2009-08-21

Comments : She recived the first notice from Manila on Valentines day. Perfect timing.

The first setback came during the medical. Naty had to do the 3 day sputum and then we waited 2 months for the results. YESSSS>came back negative

Went for her interview on July 16th and received her Pink Slip......Finally. Paid the AIR21 and I expect her here August 10th, 2009. Marriage will be August 21st, exactly 4 years to the day that we first met.

Timeline

OH - and I gave the kids all chocolate and they were very excited. Thats about all I had to do.

K-1 Visa

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Marriage :

Comments :

Processing

Timeline
ok thank you ......she said that her father is a councilman for something like that? what is that ????? Is that why they want it to be a big thing?

Probably because they want to invite the whole barrio, they're going to invite plenty of people; and that is including the father friends and co-workers etc. Her father is a COUNCELOR work in the barangay,a job something related for the goverment. :help:

SO THAT MEANS I AM GOING TO BE UNDER THE MICROSCOPE!!!! GREAT LIKE I AM NOT NERVOUS ENOUGH!!!!! LOL

what would I do without the love you give me.

http://www.slide.com/r/OCQnah5Yvj-ae3fW-YNXizAEbWcGzFT1?previous_view=mscd_embedded_url&view=original

I-129F

09-18-09 I-129F sent Fed-Ex

09-21-09 package was signed for at service center

09-23-06 touched

09-26-09 received NOA1

12-18-09 touched!!!!

12-19-09 got the approval email and text !!!!!

12-21-09 touched!!!!

12-23-09 touched!!!!

12-23-09 received NOA2

12-24-09 NVC received approval!!!!!

01-05-10 NVC told me under Additional Processing!!!!!

01-11-10 NVC sent to manila!!!!!

01-15-10 Manila received DHL

01-20-10 Set interview dates for 02-08-2010

01-25-10 Medical - PASSED!!THANK GOD..

02-08-10 Interview- PASSED!!!! PRAISE GOD..

02-11-10 Received VISA!!!!!GOD IS GREAT..

02-23-10 Bye Phil.Welcome USA!!!Be with me GOD

flight Hawaiin Air leaves 7:50pm arrives 11:59pm in Phoenix!!!!

02-23-10 ARRIVED @ PHOENIX...yepeyyyy........

04-16-10 OUR WEDDING....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

04-21-10 Applied SSN

04-28-10 SSN Recieved

flag.png

Timeline
ok thank you ......she said that her father is a councilman for something like that? what is that ????? Is that why they want it to be a big thing?

Probably because they want to invite the whole barrio, they're going to invite plenty of people; and that is including the father friends and co-workers etc. Her father is a COUNCELOR work in the barangay,a job something related for the goverment. :help:

SO THAT MEANS I AM GOING TO BE UNDER THE MICROSCOPE!!!! GREAT LIKE I AM NOT NERVOUS ENOUGH!!!!! LOL

Just be yourself, and they will love you. Friendly, smile, and listen intently even if you don't understand the language.

K-1 Visa

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Marriage :

Comments :

Processing

Timeline

You're basically gonna step off the plane as Donald Trump in their eyes. My girl was constantly bombarded with financial requests from just about every relative. The requests ranged from buying MP3 players for cousins, to paying other relative's debts off. Some of which were hundreds of dollars.

Quite honestly that was the worst thing about the PI for me. It seemed like EVERY SINGLE person wanted money from me. It got old real quick and even started to wear me out in a very negative way.

Be prepared, and be stern with your girl with regards to your budget.

Edited by rockhouse
29ngqhd.jpg

Timeline

I must have gotten lucky. The family didn't want any money from me. They even refused the town school from giving me a letter requesting money for the school. They wouldn't allow them to give it to me.

I wish you the best of luck.

K-1 Visa

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Marriage :

Comments :

Processing

Filed: Other Timeline
Well, everyone is different, when My bf (now is my hubby) visited Me first time He asked me what kind of a gift He will bring for me and to My Family, I told him it doesn't really a big deal, just let see if We click in person cause it's different when We are communicating in the phone or in the internet. and if We click in person, maybe in your 2 or 3 visits you can bring me or send Me a gift, as long as that is what you like to do,but the most important thing is, just be yourself. :innocent: What I'm trying to say here is, some women are not comfortable to accept a gift from a stranger. don't get Me wrong I never said accepting a gift from a stranger is wrong. however, if I have to request a gift from My fiance, I'm sure is not toys,soaps,or an old clothes. it should be flowers or a yummy good chocolate. :devil::blink::hehe:

anyway, o.p. go ahead and give them gifts.

also what about the gift giving process she is telling me soaps & perfumes for the girls and toys and candy for the kids but what i don't understand she told me to bring my old clothes for the men????? is that really ok? ......and my last question is when would me a good time to formally ask her dad for his daughters hand? Do I do it at the party? Thank you all!!!!!

thank you .....she has alot of nieces and nephews so I was going to go to the dollar store to pick things up there...lol

Try go to the SALVATION ARMY I figured the things they sell are NOT ALL second hand, there are plenty of name brands clothes, toys etc. just went there yesterday bought a figurine; and an old dolls collection which you can't find in most stores.: :blush:

"True Love is never associated with violence,deception,abuse ( emotional,physical or verbal) constant sacrifice for the good of only one person,jealousy,fear or mistrust"

------------------------------------------

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Help is available to callers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Hotline advocates are available for victims and anyone calling on their behalf to provide crisis intervention, safety planning, information and referrals to agencies in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Assistance is available in English and Spanish with access to more than 170 languages through interpreter services. If you or someone you know is frightened about something in your relationship, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.

Timeline
I put Ana's parent's hands on my forehead when I first met them, and every time i left, or came back to their home. Also in their church service during the hand-shaking, Ana and I put her older relatives hands on our foreheads. When I first did it to her parents, they were extremely impressed, and her mom immediately called me "good boy" and was laughing all giddy like. The final time I left, I gave them both a big hug on top of the forehead thing, and that was another good impression. I am IN!

Now when I talk to her on the phone they tell me how much they miss me, and want me to come back. I guess I made a good impression - WHEW....

GREAT INFO!!!! So whenever i leave the house and come in ????? good to know !!! ....i know i will be going to church with them so that was good to know also...i thought hugs were a no no

Hello all, I love this sight so I finally set up an account. Well I am meeting my girls family next week for the first time and have some questions that I am hoping you fellow vjr's to help me with. her and her parents will pick me up at the airport do I do mano po when i meet them or is that old school? also I am paying for a party the next day for all her family to meet me ....i don't mind but is there a limit on how much i should spend or get? .....also what about the gift giving process she is telling me soaps & perfumes for the girls and toys and candy for the kids but what i don't understand she told me to bring my old clothes for the men????? is that really ok? ......and my last question is when would me a good time to formally ask her dad for his daughters hand? Do I do it at the party? Thank you all!!!!!

Hi,

Naty is just in from the Philippines and she said this:

Mano Po - Shake the hand or touch the hand to the head is fine. I shook hands and this was fine. NO HUGGING

if you wish to ask for the blessing, it is fine to say like this

Sir, I love your daughter very much and I would like to ask you and your wife for your blessing if you will accept me as your son in law.

As far as toys and gifts. Man, don't kill yourself with trying to buy everyone everything. That can be counter-productive. You can buy some things for the family there much cheaper then here.

Naty is saying 4 or 5 pigs is fine, depending on the nuimber of people. They will prepare the food ahead for you, believe me, with no problem. I guess you can get fish and other things. soda, san miguel beer, etc.

Do not try to impress everyone by throwing money down. Come across as a conservative American, generous, but show wisdom in your spending.

if you have old clothes, sure you can bring them, thats your call.

Good Luck on your journey there.

Brian & Naty

thank you that is very very helpful.....4 or 5 pigs?????

HAHAHA, ok, she said 1 pig is for 70 people. A large pig is about 150 US. JUST buy the pigs, no other main courses. Rice 2 50Kilo sacks. The drinks can be coke and San Miguel.

great ....i will tell everyone what she tells me tonight i will try to get what they are going to cook

http://www.slide.com/r/OCQnah5Yvj-ae3fW-YNXizAEbWcGzFT1?previous_view=mscd_embedded_url&view=original

I-129F

09-23-06 touched

09-26-09 received NOA1

12-18-09 touched!!!!

12-21-09 touched!!!!

12-23-09 touched!!!!

12-23-09 received NOA2

04-16-10 OUR WEDDING....

04-21-10 Applied SSN

04-28-10 SSN Recieved

flag.png

Timeline
I must have gotten lucky. The family didn't want any money from me. They even refused the town school from giving me a letter requesting money for the school. They wouldn't allow them to give it to me.

Lol, that's kinda my point. The TOWN SCHOOL was even wanting some of the action, how much more her relatives. You lucked out that they didn't actually ask YOU, but i can almost guarantee you that your girl dealt with it when she was alone with them.

29ngqhd.jpg

Timeline
OH - and I gave the kids all chocolate and they were very excited. Thats about all I had to do.

lol.....good already got a bunch of mm's

I-129F

09-23-06 touched

09-26-09 received NOA1

12-18-09 touched!!!!

12-21-09 touched!!!!

12-23-09 touched!!!!

12-23-09 received NOA2

04-16-10 OUR WEDDING....

04-21-10 Applied SSN

04-28-10 SSN Recieved

flag.png

Timeline

GREAT INFO!!!! So whenever i leave the house and come in ????? good to know !!! ....i know i will be going to church with them so that was good to know also...i thought hugs were a no no

No not every time you re-enter the house. But if you go somewhere, like into town and are gone for a while, i would do it. I don't know if hugs are a no no, but they hugged me back and her dad even kissed me on the cheek. When I hugged her brothers, it was a bit limp, but hey, I'm bringing a little culture to them too, so they were happy.

K-1 Visa

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Marriage :

Comments :

Processing

Timeline
You're basically gonna step off the plane as Donald Trump in their eyes. My girl was constantly bombarded with financial requests from just about every relative. The requests ranged from buying MP3 players for cousins, to paying other relative's debts off. Some of which were hundreds of dollars.

Quite honestly that was the worst thing about the PI for me. It seemed like EVERY SINGLE person wanted money from me. It got old real quick and even started to wear me out in a very negative way.

Be prepared, and be stern with your girl with regards to your budget.

really that bad???? so did it ruin your trip?

I-129F

09-23-06 touched

09-26-09 received NOA1

12-18-09 touched!!!!

12-21-09 touched!!!!

12-23-09 touched!!!!

12-23-09 received NOA2

04-16-10 OUR WEDDING....

04-21-10 Applied SSN

04-28-10 SSN Recieved

flag.png

Timeline

Lol, that's kinda my point. The TOWN SCHOOL was even wanting some of the action, how much more her relatives. You lucked out that they didn't actually ask YOU, but i can almost guarantee you that your girl dealt with it when she was alone with them.

I don't know, they just didn't seem the type. They were happy to have me there, and were always giving me food. I don't think they had those intentions. I guess you'd have to meet them.

K-1 Visa

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Marriage :

Comments :

Processing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.