darkchilde794

Toronto medical and some vaccination info

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

After months of using this website to help me with my application, I finally have something I can offer in return (I hope anyway!)

Today I had my medical at Seiden & Associates in Toronto. The office is located on the 145 Front Street East, south side. I was happy to see a Starbucks and Subway across from it as I hoped to get some coffee before the procedure, but that didn’t happen.

I called to make an appointment for the medical the day after I received packet 3 (which was Aug 07) and I was worried that I won’t be able to schedule one until September because I was told that it would take a couple of weeks to a month to get an appointment. But I received one for today and was told to come between 7 to 8 am.

Anyway I’m sure you are likely aware of the things to bring to the medical so I’ll go right ahead with the “experience”. Since I live uptown, I took the TTC to King station and walked to Front St – it took me about 12-15 minutes but I’m super short so I needed more time to cover the grounds. I arrived at the place at 6:50 am and was allowed into the building. After submitting my packet 3 letter (the first page and the last page of packet 3), I was ushered in the waiting room. I found out that I was the third to come in for the day but I did not wait long for one of the ladies to call me into her office to begin the medical process.

The lady took my information (address, phone number, passport picture) and payment and told me to sign a consent form about allowing the clinic to do my medical procedure. I was given a receipt after I paid and then went for my X-ray immediately. This entire process of speaking to the lady, paying and getting my X-ray took about 10-15 minutes. After, I was told to wait in one of the patient rooms, which basically was the longest part of the procedure. While waiting, a nurse came to get my blood pressure, weight and height and told me to put on the gown and wait for the doctor.

The doctor who was doing the rounds that day rolled in after 7:20 and had to go to the first two people ahead of me. Thus, he wasn’t able to see me until almost close to 8. I’ve never had a male doctor and I was very apprehensive about him examining me. But he was very polite and cheerful and the delicate parts of the physical were performed by a female nurse. Since all my shots were updated and I have no medical issues, we breezed through the “question part”. I couldn’t remember the actual date I had my chickenpox but he accepted my “Between 1993 to 1994…I was in fourth grade” answer. He then examined my breathing with his stethoscope and felt my abdominal area (I guess checking for lumps). As I probably have the most boring medical history in the world, the doctor completed the physical exam in less than 10 minutes and told me that as soon as I get a breast exam and get blood taken for blood work, I could go.

I think the worse part of this experience was getting blood taken. Not only do I have an aversion to needles, but when the medical technician found out that I was moving to the states, she happily talked about her ties there and probably took longer than usual in sucking my blood out. I am still in pain because of that… :-P She was very nice, however.

Finally at 8:10, I was done. I went to the front desk and handed the small sheet of paper where the medical personnel signed attesting that I’ve completed all the procedures for the day. The front desk person gave me information about when to get my results and off I went.

The most relevant information about my babbling post is the information I’ve gathered about immunizations:

When I was reviewing the immunization requirements in the Seiden & Associates website, it said that my age group had to provide documentation for a series of tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis during childhood and a booster within the last 10 years. I’ve been fretting about the booster part because I’ve only received one with the tetanus/diphtheria formula. But the doctor “okayed” it since I was immunized with the full tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis concoction back when I was a kid. Apparently, a Td only booster within the last 10 years is good enough.

I was also apprehensive about Gardasil as I’ve only had the first shot. And even though I’ve read in many VJ posts that they only look for the first shot, I still had to worry! But I guess that is good enough as well because he said all my immunizations checked out and did not even bother to ask me about when I was getting the second Gardasil dose.

I would say the entire procedure took less than thirty minutes but because of the waiting, I was there for more than an hour. So I would suggest getting in really early – although you are still dependent on when the doctor comes in because in this instance, the doctor came past 7.

Goodluck to those of you getting your medicals! :star:

Note: I made copies of all my records and packet 3 paperwork but they didn't ask for it. They also handed me back everything (vaccination stuff, packet 3 letter) except for my passport pictures and my money! :lol: I have also read somewhere that you needed to bring your eye prescription information so I brought that, but it was never asked.

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the review. My wife will be getting her medical done there (assuming she EVER gets an interview date).

She doesn't have any of her childhood vaccination records (they were all done in the UK), but did get a booster for the Tetanus/diphtheria (I think that's the "TD" shot, right?). I was wondering if she should have antibody titers done for the tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis because she doesn't have documentation for the childhood series? She did have titers done for all the others and boosters as necessary, but only has evidence of the adult booster shot for TD and I'm not sure that will be enough.

Also, if anyone has any thoughts on this: when she did her Canadian immigration medical a few years back the initial X-ray showed some kind of shadow. She had a follow up scan done and has a report from her family doctor at the time reporting that all was well, but the original X-ray, and the subsequent MRI films are somewhere in the depths of Canada's immigration system. Do you think this will be a problem? Should she even mention the x-ray as being abnormal? Because it really wasn't, it was just some kind of artifact.

Timeline
Thanks for the review. My wife will be getting her medical done there (assuming she EVER gets an interview date).

She doesn't have any of her childhood vaccination records (they were all done in the UK), but did get a booster for the Tetanus/diphtheria (I think that's the "TD" shot, right?). I was wondering if she should have antibody titers done for the tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis because she doesn't have documentation for the childhood series? She did have titers done for all the others and boosters as necessary, but only has evidence of the adult booster shot for TD and I'm not sure that will be enough.

Also, if anyone has any thoughts on this: when she did her Canadian immigration medical a few years back the initial X-ray showed some kind of shadow. She had a follow up scan done and has a report from her family doctor at the time reporting that all was well, but the original X-ray, and the subsequent MRI films are somewhere in the depths of Canada's immigration system. Do you think this will be a problem? Should she even mention the x-ray as being abnormal? Because it really wasn't, it was just some kind of artifact.

Hi!

I cant answer the rest of your questions but I may have some insight on the Td part --

I went to school in MD a couple of years back and was required to get blood work done for antibody titers. I didnt have any td/pertussis antibodies from my childhood shots but had my vaccination records to prove I've had it. But maybe it's worth a try? If she lives in Canada, getting bloodwork titer tests is covered (I think!) but I know it can take up to 4 weeks to get results.

When I consulted with my doctor about me lacking a pertussis booster, she said that she can give me the shot but that she doesn't think it's necessary. Pertussis is a childhood disease and I guess it doesnt have a high mortality/morbidity effect on adults. Anyway I held off getting the td+pertussis booster because of that (and because its soo expensive and I dont think its covered by OHIP) and Im glad I did!

My suggestion is to call the clinic or send them an e-mail so she can either get the shots she needed or have peace of mind. I've called them and inquired about visa medical-related questions before and they were nice and accommodating.

Goodluck.

Removal of Conditions:

Filed: Timeline

I had all my immunizations done before I left Britain so had no records, either. What I did was take a copy of the immunization requirements to my GP. He wrote down what immunizations (on his prescription pad) I had received based on his knowledge of British vaccination requirements and gave me a couple of booster shots for the outdated ones. I took that to my medical and they were quite happy with that information.

Don't worry about any of that. They'll do their own tests, anyway. If there's any sort of follow-up required they'll let her know.

iagree.gif

Thank you for the reminder about the booster shot.

Seems I need one and I would have gone to the medical without it.

I missed it on the website.

And quick question.

Do they accept the old yellow card, or should I get a new one and copy the info over?

Edited by Rhiann

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the very helpful info, Krikit. Her doctor has gone on vacation until the end of August, so we're a little worried!

I think for our own peace of mind we'll try & get titers done for the T/D/P and she can tell them about the TB shot. It's a little complicated getting doctor's records together because she's also been going to a doctor on the US side (we live right on the border - she's one side, me the other).

I guess she won't mention the "abnormal" X-ray that wasn't unless she's specifically asked.

And quick question.

Do they accept the old yellow card, or should I get a new one and copy the info over?

The doctor took my little yellow cards.

Also, darkchilde, I think you need to get your second gardassil shot before your interview if it's time (2 months after your first shot).

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Timeline

And quick question.

The doctor took my little yellow cards.

Also, darkchilde, I think you need to get your second gardassil shot before your interview if it's time (2 months after your first shot).

Yeah Ive already scheduled a second appointment. Had I done my research better, I would have finished this silly gardasil thing before my graduating from school and ending my insurance :bonk:

Removal of Conditions:

I havn't even gotten my first Gardasil shot yet.

Should I be starting it soon?

Since you're supposed to have all 3 before AOS, right?

And does anyone know if the booster shot is covered under OHIP?

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Your booster shot should be covered since it's mandatory. Gardassil isn't, so they don't cover it.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

Your booster shot should be covered since it's mandatory. Gardassil isn't, so they don't cover it.

Yeah, I found out Gardasil's only covered for Grade 8 girls.

My poor money :lol:

I just read this article on the Gardassil vaccine and didn't want to post a new thread:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/19/health/r.../19vaccine.html

12/31/2009 - Marriage

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.