psychocis

Name on Passport (Need HELP)

9 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I filed the I-130 in May 2009. My wife currently resides in Pakistan. It was recently brought to my attention that her passport might need to be in her married name. She recently got a new passport made in her maiden name. I asked her to do this because I filed all of her paperwork in her maiden name.

Not sure if I made a significant mistake by not filing all the paperwork in the married name and not having the passport made in her maiden name. I also read on several posts that at the interview, we can request that the visa be made in the married name with the maiden name also written on there at the bottom. This way the visa can correspond with the passport.

Is there anyone who has possibly done the same thing or does anyone know if this will be a problem that I need to take care of right now. Also if there is someone who knows if in Pakistan, this will be a problem.

Lastly, I have not received my NOA2 yet. So I was planning on filing all the NVC paperwork in her maiden name to stay consistent. Any comments on this?

Thanks.

The NVC will use whatever name you sent in for the Biopage of the passport. I used married name on the I130 and her passport was in Maiden name. They changed her paperwork name to be the maiden name after the Ds230 was processed.

Now her passport is in the married name. So,,, they will change again at the embassy,, cause the passport and the visa name will need to match,,, as well as the name the green card is issued under,

regards,

hey do it with the married name bcz it will be better when she comes here then u dont have to change name. u can send all the documents with DS230 with her married name and she can get a new passport with her married name easily in pakistan (BTW i am from paksitan and i know how easy to get a new passport with whatever name u want) I did all my papers with married name so when my wife comes here she does not have to worry about changing name on ssn or gc. now u have time to get everything bcz u r not in NVC, so do it now, good luck, abid

Our time line for CR1 visa took only 5 months and 1 week or 156 days; from the filing the I-130 on the 03-12-2009 to Approval of NOA2 on the 05/13/2009, then Interview on the 08/18/2009 at Manila, Philippines. We had a daughter on the 11-12-2010 named AISHA JOY means HAPPY LIFE.a1_opt-1.jpga2_opt-1.jpga3_opt-1.jpg

Thanks for replying. It's been about 3 months since I received the NOA1. So I think im somewhat close to getting the NOA2. In Pakistan it took the wife aprox. 5 weeks to get the passport.

I dont want to waste anytime between getting the NOA2 and going to the NVC. So if she applies for another passport I will waste amost a month and a half waiting to file the paperwork for the NVC.

Does anyone know if its possible to keep the passport with the maiden name and file the NVC paperwork with the maiden name with the married name listed as "other names uses". Also does anyone know if in Pakistan they will issue the visa withe the married name and have the maiden name at the bottom for passport purposes?

hey i remember when i got my passport in pakistan it took only two hours to get it,lol, it was long time ago, what ever u do get all the thing on one name. if u can get all her papers in pakistan with her maiden name then apply with her maiden name but u do have to change it again when she comes here, i did everything with married name so i dont have to change her name on the green card and ssn when she comes here, it is up to u, u can send the paper to NVC with married name or maiden name it does not matter, once u approve from USCIS u can change name in NVC wihtout any problem, i had my wife name wrong in USCIS and after NOA2 i changed her name in NVC without any probelm,good luck. abid

Our time line for CR1 visa took only 5 months and 1 week or 156 days; from the filing the I-130 on the 03-12-2009 to Approval of NOA2 on the 05/13/2009, then Interview on the 08/18/2009 at Manila, Philippines. We had a daughter on the 11-12-2010 named AISHA JOY means HAPPY LIFE.a1_opt-1.jpga2_opt-1.jpga3_opt-1.jpg

Abid,

Thank you for replying. Your input is much appreciated.

My problem at this time is about trying to figure out if Visa issued in Pakistan can have the annotation field filled. If thats possible then the VISA can have the married name with the maiden name in the annotation field to correspond to the passport in the maiden name.

Since I will hopefully be moving on to the NVC phase soon, I need to figure out by which name to fill out the paperwork. I understand your point of view that the married name would be easier. To which I agree completely. However, right now the passport bio info page is in her maiden name.

Thus, when its time for the visa, it will be issued in the maiden name and not the married name. Obviously, we would like the visa issued in the married name so after reaching the US, she will be able to get all IDs and documents in the married name.

Even if I have another passport made in the married name, it will be after entering the NVC phase. Thus, when she gets to the interview, the paperwork will show the maiden name due to the maiden name passport, along with the visa in the maiden name.

I hope, I made sense in what I wrote. It's somewhat confusing to me as to what I can do at this point to stay consistent and accurate to prevent future problems. I've been attempting contact the US embassy in Pakistan by email and phone, however both routes have been unresponsive.

This website has been a great help. So if there is anyone here who knows the appropriate way to handle my situation, your input would be great.

Again Abid, thanks for replying.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
hey i remember when i got my passport in pakistan it took only two hours to get it,lol, it was long time ago, what ever u do get all the thing on one name. if u can get all her papers in pakistan with her maiden name then apply with her maiden name but u do have to change it again when she comes here, i did everything with married name so i dont have to change her name on the green card and ssn when she comes here, it is up to u, u can send the paper to NVC with married name or maiden name it does not matter, once u approve from USCIS u can change name in NVC wihtout any problem, i had my wife name wrong in USCIS and after NOA2 i changed her name in NVC without any probelm,good luck. abid

hey firstly kudos to you for being so helpful around these forums

please correct me if I am wrong ....from your post I understand that its OK if one gets all paperwork and passport done in maiden name and the only inconvinience one faces is to change the name for the SSN and greencard (I hope its not too tedious a job though )

So after the interview..when one gets a VISA is it issued in maiden name...if not would it conflict with passport and other documents which bear maiden name ?...waiting for your reply :)

TIMELINE:

=======

Dec 21, 2008 - Marriage

Jan 20, 2009 - Filed I-130

Feb 02, 2009 - Received I-130 NOA 1

Mar 19, 2009 - Filed I-129F

Mar 23, 2009 - Received I-129F NOA 1

Mar 24, 2009 - RFE I-130

Mar 26, 2009 - Mailed RFE I-130 Reponse

Apr 20, 2009 - I-130 NOA 2 Hard Copy Arrived

Apr 20, 2009 - I-129F NOA 2 Hard Copy Arrived

may 28,2009 - received DS-3032

jun 29, 2009- dispatched DS-3032 to NVC

july 28,2009 - dispatched I-864

july 28,2009 - paid IV fee online

aug 10,2009 - received instruction package in email

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.