rama_c

Typo in name on 10-yr green card

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

I applied to remove the conditions on my wife's permanent resident status back in Oct 2008.

(Sent it to CSC)

She received the 10-yr GC on July 8, '09. (No interviews or RFE's)

There was a typo in her last name on the card.

I thought I was done with USCIS for a while but they pulled me back in.

(I started with filing the I-129F back in 2006)

I sent the I-90 application to the Phoenix PO Box address this week.

Any experience on how long they take to send a new card ?

Thanks

Siva

My husbands 10yr GC also had an error, wrong country :blink:

We sent it back end of Jan and he received the new one beginning of April.

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thanks for sharing. 3 months is not too bad by USCIS standards

Did they decide he was Ukrainian, by any chance? The guy doing my biometrics this time warned me against the perils of putting "UK" on any USCIS form if you're not actually from the Ukraine. This was because I commented on him coding me as being from "England" when entering my details on his computer, when I'd written "UK" on the form I filled out (he also made some remark about "you should see how the Scots react when I get that part wrong") - I am English, but was surprised to see that was how they enter it in the system.

Anyway, sorry, OP... yep, you need to file an I-90. USCIS got my middle name wrong on my 2-year green card, and I was very sad to have to send it straight back to them the day after I received it! :(

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Just checked my timeline and I mailed back my incorrectly-spelled green card and I-90 on August 14, 2007, and received the replacement on October 22nd. So a little over two months for me. The worst thing about filing an I-90 is that you don't get a receipt number (or a receipt, for that matter, in my case) or any kind of status update, and you don't really have a decent-sized peer group of fellow filers to give you an idea of what might be going on. I did see some touches on my I-485 after a couple of months, though, followed by a CRIS email saying my new card had been ordered. Good luck! :)

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2009 - Conditions lifted

Just checked my timeline and I mailed back my incorrectly-spelled green card and I-90 on August 14, 2007, and received the replacement on October 22nd. So a little over two months for me. The worst thing about filing an I-90 is that you don't get a receipt number (or a receipt, for that matter, in my case) or any kind of status update, and you don't really have a decent-sized peer group of fellow filers to give you an idea of what might be going on. I did see some touches on my I-485 after a couple of months, though, followed by a CRIS email saying my new card had been ordered. Good luck! :)

What made it worse, Gary was going back home for a visit the first time in 3yrs, so he couldnt use his 10yr GC. So instead of taking his NOA with, which he felt he might misplace, he went for an infopass and got his passport stamped.

Yeah it was kinda nerve wracking, you didnt know what the status was for the production of the new card. All we had was the receipt that it arrived and was signed for.

It was the country of birth wrong, but thats interesting about being coded from the Ukraine cause of the UK.

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

What made it worse, Gary was going back home for a visit the first time in 3yrs, so he couldnt use his 10yr GC. So instead of taking his NOA with, which he felt he might misplace, he went for an infopass and got his passport stamped.

Yeah it was kinda nerve wracking, you didnt know what the status was for the production of the new card. All we had was the receipt that it arrived and was signed for.

It was the country of birth wrong, but thats interesting about being coded from the Ukraine cause of the UK.

I would DEFINITELY recommend this to anyone who has to file an I-90 to get an error on their green card corrected. I did the same (even though I wasn't travelling anytime soon), and it made me feel a whole lot more secure. I remember reading at the time about people asking for an I-551 stamp at Infopass, only to be told that they should come back and get it when they had the NOA for the I-90. If ANYONE tries to get a the stamp and is told this, stand your ground. The likelihood that you'll even get any kind of acknowledgement from the USCIS that you have a pending I-90 is very slim, and the incorrect green card you're about to send off into the Black Hole of USCIS is the best proof that you have at that point of your right to live and work in the US. There was no way I was leaving that office without an I-551 stamp, and luckily I wasn't met with much resistance, but it was only offered as an afterthought after I pointedly asked how I was supposed to prove my status while waiting for my new card to arrive. The officer (almost grudgingly) said that she supposed she could put a stamp in my passport. Definitely, definitely go and ask for the stamp, OP, if you can do so without too much disruption to your life! And don't take any "yeah, you need to file an I-90, come back and show me the receipt and I'll give you the stamp" rubbish they choose to spout at you! You most likely won't get a receipt, and even if you do, I bet it won't be good enough to convince them to give you a stamp.

Rant over. :blush:

(Editing to add, though... I remember now, what I did was this: even though I knew full well I would need to file an I-90, I scheduled an Infopass before doing so to show my incorrectly-spelled green card to an officer and ask what I should do. I may have acted a little ditzy :innocent: but not quite ditzy enough that they could send me packing without the I-551 stamp that was the actual purpose of my visit. I thanked them profusely for telling me about needing to file an I-90, and then specifically asked how I'd be able to prove I was a permanent resident without my card. Mentioned a possible need to travel, as well as the need for proof to potential employers. Would have been nice if they'd offered the stamp without my having to hint so heavily, but it was offered in the end, so all ended well! :) )

Edited by featherB

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2009 - Conditions lifted

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.