citlembik

change name in a romanian passport

27 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I just got my green card like 2 weeks ago..which is on my married name.

My romanian passport is still in my maiden name.I would like to change my name and I called the Ro Embasy in Washington several times...No answer..the same voice mail over and over...

Does anybody know what are the required papers?I also couldn't find the right information on their website.

I only could find smth about changing the address or the name(only for name cases when you change your name through other ways...not marriage).

It sais at some point that if my marriage certificate is in English,...I have to translate it in Romanian,,,somewhere at my local city administration in Romania..where it was my previous address...That's crazy!

Does anybody know anything about that?

I heard..that I can travel with my green card/passport in different names///but I really wanna change my name..

Thanks a lot!

Anybody from Romania?

I believe that renewing/changin your romanian passport requires a personal visit to the consular section of the embassy in washington (if that is the section that deals with the the US state you reside in). Have you tried e-mailing them? Consular@roembus.org

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

I believe that renewing/changin your romanian passport requires a personal visit to the consular section of the embassy in washington (if that is the section that deals with the the US state you reside in). Have you tried e-mailing them? Consular@roembus.org

I am going to e-mail them right now...personal visit?Is that what you did?Or you didn't have this matter?

Thanks

I am going to e-mail them right now...personal visit?Is that what you did?Or you didn't have this matter?

Thanks

I wrote them all the story with all the possible information that they should need in order to help me and...

They e-mailed me back and they only adviced me to call back the embasy:((...

Anybody from Romania?Anybody who dealt with the Romanian Washington DC embasy?

Thanks

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Hello everyone!

My romanian passport is still in my maiden name.I would like to change my name and I called the Ro Embasy in Washington several times...No answer..the same voice mail over and over...

Does anybody know what are the required papers?I also couldn't find the right information on their website.

I only could find smth about changing the address or the name(only for name cases when you change your name through other ways...not marriage).

It sais at some point that if my marriage certificate is in English,...I have to translate it in Romanian,,,somewhere at my local city administration in Romania..where it was my previous address...That's crazy!

I heard..that I can travel with my green card/passport in different names///but I really wanna change my name..

Thanks a lot!

Anybody from Romania?

[/quote

Hi,

Me and my husband we both changed our passports but we didn't have to deal with the name change.We had to go to the Consular office in New York in order to do that. I didn't change my name because I was trying to avoid what you are dealing with right now(especially since consular employees are not very nice or helpful)

Now the only problem is that from what I know they want you to trascribe your marriage in Romanian records (you need an Haga appostile-some type of seal on your marriage certificate) and you can do that only within the first 6 months after the marriage.I am pretty sure they need that in order to recognize your marriage as valid in Romania and to process your request.

Speaking for myself I decided not to change my name to avoid all these problems and honestly to avoid the romanian consulate which disgusts me ( it reminds me where we all came from).I was thinking before what is best to do to recognize our marriage and we decided not to go through with this.I would rather go to Romania and have another Civil Ceremony and everything will be fine.

Maybe it it's been more than 6 months since you married and you plan a trip to Romania you can do that and take care of the passport over there.

Good luck

I forgot to say you have to go to the nearest Consulate you don't have to go to Washington.

06/13/2009 AOS Paperwork Sent

06/14/2009 AOS Package received

06/17/2009 NOA's for AOS/EAD/AP

06/18/2009 Check cashed

06/22/2009 Biometric Appointment notice

07/16/2009 Biometrics Appointment

07/162009 AOS and EAD updated

08/04/2009 EAD card production ordered

08/04/2009 AP approval notice sent

08/05/2009 EAD touched

08/05/2009 AP touched

08/06/2009 AP touched

08/07/2009 EAD card production ordered

08/10/2009 EAD touched

08/11/2009 EAD approval notice sent

09/11/2009 AP received in the mail

08/13/2009 EAD received in the mail( with wrong DOB)

08/15/2009 sent new I-765,copies of EAD,birth certificate,passport,NOA for I-485 and letter explaining the error

08/22/2009 AOS interview letter received

09/17/2009 AOS interview

Hello everyone!

Thanks a lot!

Anybody from Romania?

Hi,

Me and my husband we both changed our passports but we didn't have to deal with the name change.We had to go to the Consular office in New York in order to do that. I didn't change my name because I was trying to avoid what you are dealing with right now(especially since consular employees are not very nice or helpful)

Now the only problem is that from what I know they want you to trascribe your marriage in Romanian records (you need an Haga appostile-some type of seal on your marriage certificate) and you can do that only within the first 6 months after the marriage.I am pretty sure they need that in order to recognize your marriage as valid in Romania and to process your request.

Speaking for myself I decided not to change my name to avoid all these problems and honestly to avoid the romanian consulate which disgusts me ( it reminds me where we all came from).I was thinking before what is best to do to recognize our marriage and we decided not to go through with this.I would rather go to Romania and have another Civil Ceremony and everything will be fine.

Maybe it it's been more than 6 months since you married and you plan a trip to Romania you can do that and take care of the passport over there.

Good luck

I forgot to say you have to go to the nearest Consulate you don't have to go to Washington.

Hi!

It sounds really complicated!

Anyway,do you know how can I get that Haga appostile?It's been indeed more than 6 months since we are married..does that mean that we can't require it?

You and your husband are both romanian?My husband is American.Does it make any difference for the embasy?

And if we get married legally in Romania next year..I will still have my maiden name in my passport.My concern is that I have my married name in the green card and maiden name in passport.Having a Romanian marriage certificate doesn't help me,unless I change my name in my passport in Romania,,,,if that's possible and I really want to enjoy my trip there...it's going to be only for 2 weeks anyway.I don't know if I have time for all these...

:((

Timeline

Hello everyone!

Thanks a lot!

Anybody from Romania?

Hi,

Good luck

Hi!

Anyway,do you know how can I get that Haga appostile?It's been indeed more than 6 months since we are married..does that mean that we can't require it?

You and your husband are both romanian?My husband is American.Does it make any difference for the embasy?

And if we get married legally in Romania next year..I will still have my maiden name in my passport.My concern is that I have my married name in the green card and maiden name in passport.Having a Romanian marriage certificate doesn't help me,unless I change my name in my passport in Romania,,,,if that's possible and I really want to enjoy my trip there...it's going to be only for 2 weeks anyway.I don't know if I have time for all these...

:( (

This is a website that I found on the internet.

http://www.apostille.us/Documents/apostille.shtml

You can apply for a passport at the romanian consulate but my point is that they might not want to recognize your marriage certificate from here and in order to change your name in the romanian passport they will want you to transcribe your marriage( in romanian records you are not married).

I don't know what happens if you want to transcribe it and it's past the 6 months period.I think you should call them and ask if you can do that or what other options you have.

You can find more informations about this on the Embassy website www.roembus.org go to consular section and than to either romanian/english versions and you can find out about the appostill as well.

Good luck.

06/18/2009 Check cashed

08/05/2009 EAD touched

08/05/2009 AP touched

08/06/2009 AP touched

08/10/2009 EAD touched

08/15/2009 sent new I-765,copies of EAD,birth certificate,passport,NOA for I-485 and letter explaining the error

09/17/2009 AOS interview

Timeline

My wife somehow managed to communicate with somebody in the embassy/consulate in DC a few months back as she wanted to know the same exact thing you asked....I do believe they said they wanted us to come in person...can't remember; right now she is out of the country so I emailed her your post, and she replied in Romanian! I'll copy paste what she said. Not sure why she replied in Romanian :blink: when the post is in English, and she won't have access to email for a couple of days, so I'll go ahead and paste the romanian text below that she sent me; apologies to those who don't speak romanian...i don't speak it either.

Ciao!

Si am avut aceleasi probleme ca si tine si inca nu le-am rezolvat din motive birocratice. Dupa ce am sunat de la un consulat la altul pentru ca ca nimeni nu a fost in stare sa-mi spuna ce si cum sa procedez, mi s-a sugerat sa ma uit pe site-ul site-ul Ambasadei de la Washington, pentru ca acolo sunt furnizate toate informatiile. Insa din cate ai sa citesti, ai sa realizezi ca iti ceri sa produci "n" mii tipuri de documente pe care ei ti le taxeaza dupa bunul plac si dulcele stil romanesc. Iar chestia care m-a infuriat cel mai tare e ca te pun sa scrii o declaratie pe proprie raspundere cum ca nu ai mai fost casatorit, pe care ei apoi o legalizeaza si iti cer bani pe asta. Cum sa legalizeze o declaratie pe proprie raspundere? Normal, ca sa ia bani. In sfarsit, plina de nervi, am decis sa rezolv aceasta problema anul urmator, cand imi expira pasaportul si va trebui sa-l reinnoiesc. Atunci voi schimba toate actele direct in Romania, intrucat nu cer atatea acte si nici atatia bani. Iar daca ai cunostinte la starea civila din orasul de bastina, treaba dureaza cateva zile. Sau poti face o procura parintilor tai sa se ocupe ei in Romania, in numele tau, de toate documentele. Oricum, inscrierea casatoriei in registrul de stare civila, dureaza, in principiu, cel putin 3-6 luni. Ca sa stii cat ai de asteptat.

Iti doresc mult succes!

Si uite si site-ul minunatei ambasade:

http://www.roembus.org/

Edited by ikarus

AOS

2009-01-12===> Sent AOS packet via UPS
2009-01-13===> AOS packet received
2009-01-28===> NOA's received in the mail
2009-02-01===> Biometric appt received in the mail
2009-02-06===> Completed biometric appt thru walk-in
2009-02-06===> Applied for expedited AP thru the phone
2009-02-14===> Received AP in the mail
2009-02-11===> Case transferred to CSC
2009-02-23===> EAD received
2009-05-02===> Green card received in the mail, no interview done.

My wife somehow managed to communicate with somebody in the embassy/consulate in DC a few months back as she wanted to know the same exact thing you asked....I do believe they said they wanted us to come in person...can't remember; right now she is out of the country so I emailed her your post, and she replied in Romanian! I'll copy paste what she said. Not sure why she replied in Romanian :blink: when the post is in English, and she won't have access to email for a couple of days, so I'll go ahead and paste the romanian text below that she sent me; apologies to those who don't speak romanian...i don't speak it either.

Ciao!

Si am avut aceleasi probleme ca si tine si inca nu le-am rezolvat din motive birocratice. Dupa ce am sunat de la un consulat la altul pentru ca ca nimeni nu a fost in stare sa-mi spuna ce si cum sa procedez, mi s-a sugerat sa ma uit pe site-ul site-ul Ambasadei de la Washington, pentru ca acolo sunt furnizate toate informatiile. Insa din cate ai sa citesti, ai sa realizezi ca iti ceri sa produci "n" mii tipuri de documente pe care ei ti le taxeaza dupa bunul plac si dulcele stil romanesc. Iar chestia care m-a infuriat cel mai tare e ca te pun sa scrii o declaratie pe proprie raspundere cum ca nu ai mai fost casatorit, pe care ei apoi o legalizeaza si iti cer bani pe asta. Cum sa legalizeze o declaratie pe proprie raspundere? Normal, ca sa ia bani. In sfarsit, plina de nervi, am decis sa rezolv aceasta problema anul urmator, cand imi expira pasaportul si va trebui sa-l reinnoiesc. Atunci voi schimba toate actele direct in Romania, intrucat nu cer atatea acte si nici atatia bani. Iar daca ai cunostinte la starea civila din orasul de bastina, treaba dureaza cateva zile. Sau poti face o procura parintilor tai sa se ocupe ei in Romania, in numele tau, de toate documentele. Oricum, inscrierea casatoriei in registrul de stare civila, dureaza, in principiu, cel putin 3-6 luni. Ca sa stii cat ai de asteptat.

Iti doresc mult succes!

K.Thanks...

It sounds like I have to go in person in Washington and I live in Louisiana..it sound great:(

Ciao!

Iti doresc mult succes!

K.Thanks...

It sounds like I have to go in person in Washington and I live in Louisiana..it sound great:(

Anyway..can you please e-mail her back...I need to ask..some more things.Pls.

My passport doesn't expire soon...Actually it expires in 5 years,,,or smth...

I can;t wait that much...My concern is that they won't let me come back from Ro...and I may have pb at the customs ,having 2 different names in green card/passport.

And if I send a copy of my marriage certificate to my mother in Romania...can she register me there?I don't trust the post office...to send the original...And how can my mother do that?Do I still need to go in Washington to sign smth and send it to her so she register me there?

thanks a lot

Hello everyone!

Thanks a lot!

Anybody from Romania?

Hi,

Good luck

Hi!

:( (

This is a website that I found on the internet.

http://www.apostille.us/Documents/apostille.shtml

You can apply for a passport at the romanian consulate but my point is that they might not want to recognize your marriage certificate from here and in order to change your name in the romanian passport they will want you to transcribe your marriage( in romanian records you are not married).

I don't know what happens if you want to transcribe it and it's past the 6 months period.I think you should call them and ask if you can do that or what other options you have.

You can find more informations about this on the Embassy website www.roembus.org go to consular section and than to either romanian/english versions and you can find out about the appostill as well.

Good luck.

Oke.I checked the website info about the appostile.If can transcribe it ,do I still need to apply in person at the embasy?

thanks

Timeline

Ciao!

Iti doresc mult succes!

K.Thanks...

Anyway..can you please e-mail her back...I need to ask..some more things.Pls.

My passport doesn't expire soon...Actually it expires in 5 years,,,or smth...

I can;t wait that much...My concern is that they won't let me come back from Ro...and I may have pb at the customs ,having 2 different names in green card/passport.

And if I send a copy of my marriage certificate to my mother in Romania...can she register me there?I don't trust the post office...to send the original...And how can my mother do that?Do I still need to go in Washington to sign smth and send it to her so she register me there?

thanks a lot

If your concern is that they won't let you out of romania in the usa because of the different name in the passport/greencard, you might want to look into posting that same question to others that have gone back in the europe asian forum; we have gone to europe after we got married and we left europe showing the marriage certificate and AP and it was not a problem. I'll email my wife and see what she says to your other questions.

AOS

2009-01-12===> Sent AOS packet via UPS
2009-01-13===> AOS packet received
2009-01-28===> NOA's received in the mail
2009-02-01===> Biometric appt received in the mail
2009-02-06===> Completed biometric appt thru walk-in
2009-02-06===> Applied for expedited AP thru the phone
2009-02-14===> Received AP in the mail
2009-02-11===> Case transferred to CSC
2009-02-23===> EAD received
2009-05-02===> Green card received in the mail, no interview done.

Timeline

Yes you still need to go there.But my advice is if you want to go ahead with that call them a million times and ask them what they need from you and if they can do it because you might end up traveling there for nothing.Trust me they are really nasty people over there.

I have an idea : order a marriage certificate from the City Hall where you got married ( they will give you one/or more copies for a fee).That way you can send your mom an original without having to worry about being lost.Then go to a lawyer and make a Power of Attorney for your mom to be able to represent you and your husband and to be able to register your marriage in Romanian records( she has to translate and notarize that I think).After that I think you have to options to go here to the embassy to do the passport or to make another Powe of Attorney for her to be able to apply for your passport(the problem is that you have to send the passports and photos and they are doing regular passports until this fall and then they are changing to biometric ones which I guess are harder to make without the person being present)

The info that I gave you I heard from one friend who did the same with the passport because they refused at the embassy to make her a power of attorney for her mom so she went to a lawyer and did this and now she has the passport.

Your situation is more complicated because you don't have any romanian document with your new name and that is the reason for the transcription of marriage.

Hope this isfo is helpful.

06/18/2009 Check cashed

08/05/2009 EAD touched

08/05/2009 AP touched

08/06/2009 AP touched

08/10/2009 EAD touched

09/17/2009 AOS interview

Yes you still need to go there.But my advice is if you want to go ahead with that call them a million times and ask them what they need from you and if they can do it because you might end up traveling there for nothing.Trust me they are really nasty people over there.

I have an idea : order a marriage certificate from the City Hall where you got married ( they will give you one/or more copies for a fee).That way you can send your mom an original without having to worry about being lost.Then go to a lawyer and make a Power of Attorney for your mom to be able to represent you and your husband and to be able to register your marriage in Romanian records( she has to translate and notarize that I think).After that I think you have to options to go here to the embassy to do the passport or to make another Powe of Attorney for her to be able to apply for your passport(the problem is that you have to send the passports and photos and they are doing regular passports until this fall and then they are changing to biometric ones which I guess are harder to make without the person being present)

The info that I gave you I heard from one friend who did the same with the passport because they refused at the embassy to make her a power of attorney for her mom so she went to a lawyer and did this and now she has the passport.

Your situation is more complicated because you don't have any romanian document with your new name and that is the reason for the transcription of marriage.

Ok!

This is what I am going to do actually.I am going to send the original to my mother.I have to other certified copies from the Court House(where we got married) from here.I am going to make a Power of Attorney to my mother.

After she obtains the new romanian certificate(is she going to sign for us on the certificate) I am going to mail everything to the embassy.for the passport.Hopefully it doesn't take so long in romania.I am not going to mail my passport in Romania....it sound too crazy.

Does anybody know what are the exact papers that I need to submit to my mother?

Thanks!

Ok!

This is what I am going to do actually.I am going to send the original to my mother.I have to other certified copies from the Court House(where we got married) from here.I am going to make a Power of Attorney to my mother.

After she obtains the new romanian certificate(is she going to sign for us on the certificate) I am going to mail everything to the embassy.for the passport.(it says on the web site that I can mail the request for passport).(Hopefully it doesn't take so long in romania.I am not going to mail my passport in Romania....it sound too crazy.

Does anybody know what are the exact papers that I need to submit to my mother?Who does the request?Me or my mother?I mean the transcription request?From where we get that?

Thanks!

And after I have the transcription,how long does it take to get the new passport?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.