H&V

I-864 sponsor will be active military soon

2 posts in this topic

Hi, we'll be doing AOS in about 4 weeks' time if all goes smoothly :) The thing is, my SO is army reserve, and we found out he's going to be active probably from mid-Sept. He had to tell his employer, they have to keep his job open but they won't really be his employer anymore. We will probably be doing AOS in the short gap between him leaving there and joining Army full-time.

My question is: do you think a copy of his military orders (when we get them) will be ok for the sponsor evidence for I-864? I am debating seeing if his employer might write him another letter (similar to one for I-134) but not sure they would. Has anyone else been in similar situation? Would we need anything other than the orders, and 3 years of tax transcripts? We could send pay stubs but they'd be for the old employer, so not sure that they would count.

I have been searching on here but haven't found quite this situation, but will keep looking. Thanks very much in advance for any advice.

Income is income - as long as it meets the poverty level needed - you should be good to go.

He will need to show his current job and his military job most likely.

(His old job is still being "held" for him because of the military orders)

Does his military income (alone) meet the poverty level?

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.