TomandHongyan

before I make a mistake

28 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
Mike and I rarely agree but on these accounts we do. If you want to hire someone to help with the forms that's up to you. I used a lawyer but in hindsight it was a waste of money.

Also unless Secretary of State or the President is helping you personally you should remember:

No one. Not here or in China has any "Special" relationship with GUZ.

No one. Not here or in China can 'expedite' the processing time.

Anyone that says they can is a liar.

I think you misunderstand his point. He doesn't have a problem with the forms but in communicating the stuff with his fiancee and answering all her questions. I had the exact same problem. I wouldn't hire a lawyer for that purpose, it would cost a fortune. But a very well respected expert like Roger is different. He does not ever say stuff like you warned, he just makes sure the petitioner and benefactor get the stuff they need, the forms are fine, and that everything is done correctly. The benefit is that his service is reasonable, he is a nice guy, he knows what he is doing, he can read, write and speak Chinese and English, so if you need the type of thing he can provide then it is a great service. I asked a bunch of people before we went with him and never found anyone with a nonflattering comment. BTW, I don't get paid for the recommendation but I am happy to tell people my experience if it will help them.

I appreciate that, I personally don't believe that the price is reasonable. However, obtaining a good comfort level it may be worth every penny to the OP and I respect their decision. My remarks about 'special' relationship was ill placed and not a slant against Roger specifically. But beware that in GUZ they're many and they look at the faces of the interviewees coming out to start their sales pitch.

We do agree that 001 has too much mis-information and horror stories (and some are true!). My wife's take on it was the same as yours.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline
I personally don't believe that the price is reasonable.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for a lawyer? I must admit that I looked at lawyers but few could speak Chinese and their prices were astronomical. I also looked at other "advisors" in China and they were also priced in the thousands of dollars. So compared to that, added to the fact that many people recommended him, Roger's price is reasonable. Good luck OP and let us know what you did.

moving right along

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for a lawyer? I must admit that I looked at lawyers but few could speak Chinese and their prices were astronomical. I also looked at other "advisors" in China and they were also priced in the thousands of dollars. So compared to that, added to the fact that many people recommended him, Roger's price is reasonable. Good luck OP and let us know what you did.

Roger isn't a lawyer and is not providing full support for you case, so the comparison is not valid, IMO. My reason for saying the price is high for the specific assistance given in your case is based on comparing what it would cost to obtain the assistance of a Chinese speaker in the US who can assist with the beneficiary side of process. I don't know the whole story though. If the benificiary has no access to or skills with computer and printer, then the need for and value of in-country assistance is magnified. You can PM me for alternative recommendations if you please.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
Roger isn't a lawyer and is not providing full support for you case, so the comparison is not valid, IMO. My reason for saying the price is high for the specific assistance given in your case is based on comparing what it would cost to obtain the assistance of a Chinese speaker in the US who can assist with the beneficiary side of process. I don't know the whole story though. If the benificiary has no access to or skills with computer and printer, then the need for and value of in-country assistance is magnified.

Yes, Roger is pretty much providing full support to my SO and I with complete instructions, feedback, and inspection of the entire process. Not just for the beneficiary. From what I understand a lawyer costs a lot more for the exact same service, right? As for a Chinese expert in the USA that can provide what Roger can, the ones I checked charged way more than what I paid. It is very common for old people my age to not have very great computer skills or a printer, which was the case for my SO.

moving right along

Timeline

Roger isn't a lawyer and is not providing full support for you case, so the comparison is not valid, IMO. My reason for saying the price is high for the specific assistance given in your case is based on comparing what it would cost to obtain the assistance of a Chinese speaker in the US who can assist with the beneficiary side of process. I don't know the whole story though. If the benificiary has no access to or skills with computer and printer, then the need for and value of in-country assistance is magnified. You can PM me for alternative recommendations if you please.

What Mike said.

It really doesn't matter. If you are comfortable with the price and those services then I am not going to say anything negative about it. This is a very stressful process mostly due to the waiting. So you want to be certain that when the VOs do get your papers that all the 't's are crossed and the 'i's dotted.

Good Luck! I hope it sails through quickly.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Roger isn't a lawyer and is not providing full support for you case, so the comparison is not valid, IMO. My reason for saying the price is high for the specific assistance given in your case is based on comparing what it would cost to obtain the assistance of a Chinese speaker in the US who can assist with the beneficiary side of process. I don't know the whole story though. If the benificiary has no access to or skills with computer and printer, then the need for and value of in-country assistance is magnified.

Yes, Roger is pretty much providing full support to my SO and I with complete instructions, feedback, and inspection of the entire process. Not just for the beneficiary. From what I understand a lawyer costs a lot more for the exact same service, right? As for a Chinese expert in the USA that can provide what Roger can, the ones I checked charged way more than what I paid. It is very common for old people my age to not have very great computer skills or a printer, which was the case for my SO.

If he's providing full support to both the petitioner and beneficiary through the whole process then the cost is indeed reasonable. Your opening post led me to believe his support was just on the beneficiary side. You wrote:

to help my fiance with all the paper work and everything that needs to be done.

Again, I've only heard good reports about Roger. The first part of the process is mostly on the US Citizen.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

If he's providing full support to both the petitioner and beneficiary through the whole process then the cost is indeed reasonable. Your opening post led me to believe his support was just on the beneficiary side. You wrote:

to help my fiance with all the paper work and everything that needs to be done.

Again, I've only heard good reports about Roger. The first part of the process is mostly on the US Citizen.

Yes, the main reason I even considered getting help was for her, but the "everything" included me too. I have talked with him on the phone a few dozen times with questions and even though I had the I-129F all done, he took over and had us redo it. It was as if a great burden was lifted from my shoulders. Very calming guy. My girl was so happy and suddenly she understood it all. No more long questions and explanations between us, she just called Roger. It has worked out great so far and it is easily the best thing we could have ever done. (he has even helped us gratis on other issues like real estate, culture, etc.) We will have dinner with him in GUZ the day of the interview.

moving right along

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
Mike and I rarely agree but on these accounts we do. If you want to hire someone to help with the forms that's up to you. I used a lawyer but in hindsight it was a waste of money.

Also unless Secretary of State or the President is helping you personally you should remember:

No one. Not here or in China has any "Special" relationship with GUZ.

No one. Not here or in China can 'expedite' the processing time.

Anyone that says they can is a liar.

I think you misunderstand his point. He doesn't have a problem with the forms but in communicating the stuff with his fiancee and answering all her questions. I had the exact same problem. I wouldn't hire a lawyer for that purpose, it would cost a fortune. But a very well respected expert like Roger is different. He does not ever say stuff like you warned, he just makes sure the petitioner and benefactor get the stuff they need, the forms are fine, and that everything is done correctly. The benefit is that his service is reasonable, he is a nice guy, he knows what he is doing, he can read, write and speak Chinese and English, so if you need the type of thing he can provide then it is a great service. I asked a bunch of people before we went with him and never found anyone with a nonflattering comment. BTW, I don't get paid for the recommendation but I am happy to tell people my experience if it will help them.

Thanks for all the good replys, I have a couple of people from china that has married and has gone threw all of this, I now have someone that can talk to my fiance in chinese and what a different that will be. Thanks to all

Silverfox5859

Timeline
Thanks for all the good replys, I have a couple of people from china that has married and has gone threw all of this, I now have someone that can talk to my fiance in chinese and what a different that will be. Thanks to all

???? You found some private folks to help you? I tried that at first but I was too wary of their limited experience but that's just me. I don't trust messageboarders completely in something so important.

Good luck!

Edited by endoftheroad

moving right along

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

???? You found some private folks to help you? I tried that at first but I was too wary of their limited experience but that's just me. I don't trust messageboarders completely in something so important.

Good luck!

No, the people are from this site and are still active at VJ. They have married and now are offering help to me and my fiance in China. I just down loaded the DS-230 part one form I am going to fill it out completly and send it to my finace so she can sign it and have it when she gets her #3 packet. I am trying to find out if there any other forms that she will need to file out in #3 packet.

Silverfox5859

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
No, the people are from this site and are still active at VJ. They have married and now are offering help to me and my fiance in China. I just down loaded the DS-230 part one form I am going to fill it out completly and send it to my finace so she can sign it and have it when she gets her #3 packet. I am trying to find out if there any other forms that she will need to file out in #3 packet.

In addition to the DS-230 part 1, your fiancée will also need to fill out the OF-169 checklist that is also included in packet 3 and return that as well. This is strictly a checklist in which she will check off as having already gathered all of the required items that apply to her case. She will then need to sign & date it and enter your case number and her current address. One more item which also needs to be returned along with the DS-230 Part 1 and the OF-169 is a completed EMS mailing label. This label will be used to mail your fiancée her packet #4. Be sure and have her write down the EMS tracking number from the label so that you can track the P4 after GUZ mails it out. Your fiancée should enter "No. 1, South Shamian Street, Guangzhou 510133” in the sender's Company name box and enter her name/address in the To/Addressee box on the mailing label.

The I-134 will be included in your fiancee's P3 but should not be mailed back with the completed DS-230, OF-169 and EMS mailing label - it is to be submitted with its supporting documentation (tax returns, W-2s, etc) during the processing phase of her interview.

Edited by Eric & Jin

Timeline
No, the people are from this site and are still active at VJ. They have married and now are offering help to me and my fiance in China.

Super! Kindness of others seems to be rampant here. :thumbs:

moving right along

Timeline

you should just use the "secret" list of contacts I have if you are having problems.. lots of people can direct you to them.. :whistle: otherwise, doing research is MUCH better than getting a lawyer, and also all the websites (001, candleforlove, and visajourney as well) have people giving false/accurate information.. you just need to do your own research, and then you can tell what is true and misleading.. Example for me was I expected the case to go to China from NVC in about 3 months and it did.. I was able to track my case at China DHL too.. just do some research on each part of the visa and how long it will take and what it involves.. both of you should do research and not just one.. I find many spouses don't help their beneficiary spouse out on their visa case, and they just keep waiting.. this is just very sad.. how far are you (and him/her) willing to go to be together?.. I know that each case is different from mine.. it is how much effort you are willing to put down.. see how long our visa journey took and the difficulties we have been having..

I-130 STAGE 1 : 533 days - 1 year 6 months (4/16/2007 to 9/22/2008)

Priority Date I-130 : 4/16/2007 ( 533 days , APPROVED 9/22/2008)
Transferred to local office based on "security checks" : 11/27/2007
wrote hundreds of letters - received letter from FBI Records Management Chief stating no security checks
local office interview : 2/21/2008 - brought my parents too (result : you will get approval within 2-3 weeks)

5/2/2008 - (lawsuit) Writ of Mandamus - OFFICIAL DATE (7/29/2008)
9/22/2008 - CALL AND EMAIL COPY OF APPROVAL NOTICE FROM LAWYER

NVC STAGE 2 : 99 days - 3 months (9/30/2008 to 1/7/2009)

NVC Received : 9/30/2008
Received Packet 3 (I-864/DS-230) : 11/10/2008
NVC says "RFE sent out 12/9/08 for missing documents" : 12/10/2008
CASE COMPLETE - 1/7/2009

CONSULATE STAGE 3 : 96 days - 3 months (1/8/2009 to 4/14/2009)
CLEARED CUSTOMS - 3/10/2009
**APPOINTMENT DATE : 4/14/2009, 7:15AM**
** BLUE SLIP **

AP STAGE 4 : 97 days - 3 months (4/14/2009 to 7/20/2009)
DOS call to receive I-601 (Waiver of Grounds for Inadmissibility - basically denial) from Guangzhou : 6/24/2009

REMOVAL OF I-601 due to my letters to the USCIS Director, Michael Aytes: 6/29/2009
CALL-IN LETTER NOTIFIED : 7/8/2009
CALL-IN LETTER (APPROVAL)!! : 7/16/2009
ALL DONE!! (got both GREEN CARD & SSN CARD) : 10/1/2009

"http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/194075-feel-like-a-cr-1-csc-castaway/page-60" (pages 53-63) for more updates and letter I wrote to Director Michael Aytes and his replies and back and forth..

HER PARENTS - 10 months so far

I-130 Sent In : 1/7/2013

I-130 Approval : 3/28/2013

Transfer to NVC : 6/12/2013

Case Complete : 8/25/2013

"Ready for Interview" (Ready to wait for 1-3 Months, this is official NVC letter transfer date) : 9/9/2013

DHL Tracking : arrived 9/24/2013

P4 Letter : 11/21/2013

Interview Date : 12/9/2013, originally 12/3, stupid lawyer filled out her dad's passport number wrong..

Interview Passed : 12/9/2013

Visa "Issued" on CEAC : 12/10/2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.