thermophile

applied 2 years ago, now need to pick it up again

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'll try to make this as short as possible. My husband (Canadian) and I (USC) started the US immigration process shortly after getting married fall of 2003. Fall of 2004 we applied for Canadian immigration for me, since I was almost done (I thought) with grad school and was nearly ready to move to Canada. I immigrated to Canada Dec. 2004, a month later we finally got his I-130 approved. We've just let the I-130 sit, since we wanted to live in Canada. but I'm still in school in the US, splitting my time between Canada and the US, and it looks like we'll need to move back to the US at least for a few years while I finish school and start my career. The I-130 is still good, we got a letter from NVC saying that if we don't do anything by June 2007 it will expire.

So, I'm just trying to get back into the immigration mindset. Where do we go from here? Should we send the two things that NVC sent us (I-864 fee and Choice of Agent form) back to NVC or should we switch to DCF? We live in Calgary so going to a US Consulate is really easy, would it be useful to go talk to someone at the consulate? How long will this process take-months or years? or at least how long till my husband could work in the US? (his job is not NAFTA eligible)

thanks

k

*cross-posted on DCF

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

welcome almost back, thermo--I remember your name! :) I'll post here instead of DCF because you don't need DCF---you already have an approved I-130. Now you want to get it in line for Montreal.

Sending things back to the NVC will start the Immigrant Visa process. After they receive the 2 you mention, there is also DS-230, the visa application. All docs go to NVC and they set your appointment in MTL.

As for 'how long', it's a job to tell. Check other Canada CR/IR people and ask them---you need the NVC time + the wait on MTL (4 or 5 months at the moment). When your husband has the Immigrant Visa at the end of that process and enters the US, he will be a Permanent Resident immediately. Details in the DCF Guide.

aka: he can work immediately.

:)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

ok NVCing we go. thanks

some more questions:

I gather that Montreal is the only consulate in Canada that processes CR1 visas? Also, does everyone have to interview? I ask because we were told that I'd have to interview for my Canadian PR but that interview was waived. Does that ever happen with US immigration? Also, if he does have to interview, can I go to the interview with him? Is the visa issued at the end of the interview or sometime later?

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
ok NVCing we go. thanks

some more questions:

I gather that Montreal is the only consulate in Canada that processes CR1 visas? Also, does everyone have to interview? I ask because we were told that I'd have to interview for my Canadian PR but that interview was waived. Does that ever happen with US immigration? Also, if he does have to interview, can I go to the interview with him? Is the visa issued at the end of the interview or sometime later?

Yes, Montreal is the only Immigrant Visa issuing post in Canada---everyone goes there. It would be lovely if there was some kind of no-interview porcess, but I've never heard of it. The interview is no big thing tho--more of an appearance. The USC may attend in MTL, but you may be asked to step away for part of the interview (I was, in Athens).

If approved, the visa takes a day or more to be printed. It can usually be picked up, or sent to you. Check the Canada forum or Canadian IR/CR forum posters' history for specifics.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.