Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Filing for Parent that is serving 5 years for being deported

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Country: Colombia

My mother was deported 3 years ago for being an overstay. As a US citizen, can I submit an I-130 on her behalf and expect it to be approved if she still has 2 years left on the latter deportation order? Or is it best to wait until she completes the last 2 years? Thanks!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia

Because she was deported she would need a waiver in order to get a visa during the 5 year ban. I would talk to some of the people in the forum on waivers who have experience on the subject. Unless you think that you could put together a solid waiver package it might be best to wait the two years to save yourself the time/energy/heartache. Plus, it takes approximately 6 months for the I-130, 3 months at the NVC, and another 6 months at least for the waiver. By that point you won't have to wait very much longer until her ban is up.


  • I-130 NOA1: 6/20/2008
  • I-485 Filed: 10/18/2008
  • I-130 Approved: 2/20/2009
  • Interview: 3/18/2008
  • I-601 Submitted: 3/18/2009
  • I-485 Approved: 4/22/2009
  • GC Received: 6/23/2009

IR2 (Stepson)

  • I-130 NOA1: 7/23/2009
  • I-130 Approved: 10/1/2009
  • NVC Case Received: 10/14/2009
  • DS 3032, AOS Fee Bill Generated: 10/19/2009
  • DS 3032 sent via email, AOS Fee Bill Paid: 10/19/2009
  • DS 3032 accepted: 10/28/2009
  • IV Fee Bill Generated/Paid: 11/2/2009
  • DS 230/AOS mailed: 11/7/2007
  • DS 230, AOS Received: 11/9/2009
  • AOS/DS 230 Mailed: 11/6/2009
  • Documents Received: 11/16/2009
  • RFE for 864-A: 11/24/2009
  • Received Checklist Reponse via email: 11/28/2009
  • Checklist Letter Received by NVC: 12/4/2009
  • Sign in failed: 12/14/2009
  • Case Complete: 12/15/2009
  • Appointment Letter Received: 12/29/2009
  • Interview: 2/10/2010, Approved!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...