kayj

i need help ASAP

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Among some Nigerians, what you did is consided marriage according to the old tribal traditions, i.e, family consent with witnesses. It does not need to be recorded anywhere nor does there need to be an officiant. Had you been there for the interview, maybe the result would have been different. Nigerians are among those who will look for any legal reason to enter the U.S.

What does your boyfriend's family say about this?? Lagos is difficult in any event, and unless you get that decision changed, and because it will take months to appeal it, best thing is to go for a spousal visa.

I am Nigerian and from a tribe which upholds tradition and despite paying the bride price, my wife cannot move in with me until I wed her in the church. I don't know which Nigerians you are talking about but your marriage has to be recorded for it be considered legal. Don't come on here giving false information please and if you don't understand a culture or tradition, don't claim to 'cos it's offensive. You can't appy to USCIS for a K-3 with family consent, you do so with your marriage license and even if it's Nigeria where I am sure they get cases from, they will ask that of you. Her being there at the interview would have made no difference IMHO, since the CO made a statement in the lines that Nigerians see the K-1 as a faster option.

The OP cannot apply for a spousal visa because she is NOT MARRIED. USCIS will instantly deny her K-3 application and throw it in the trash. What she needs to do is make sure this case isn't returned because what the CO has done is very wrong and unethical. They know pretty well they are not married but those CO's in Lagos like to mis-use authority given to them.

omo, why u stressing urself? i read his/her response and i'm like " u've got to be kidding me...". One thing i've noticed about some VJers is the aggressiveness and quickness to condemn. so i pick and choose my battles..no stress urself o abeg

~~~The NVC Journey~~~

01-15-2010 : NVC Received and assigned case #

01-15-2010 : Gave NVC email addresses

01-21-2010 : Received DS-3032/AOS Bill

01-21-2010 : Pay AOS Bill

01-21-2010 : Emailed DS-3032

01-25-2010 : AOS fee shown as “Paid”

01-27-2010 : Return Completed AOS Package

01-28-2010 : AOS delivered and signed by N VISA

02-01-2010 : Receive Instruction Package for AOS

02-02-2010 : Receive IV Bill & Paid IV bill

02-04-2010 : NVC inputted AOS (confirmed through operator 02/05/10)

02-04-2010 : IV Bill shown as “Paid”

02-05-2010 : Return Completed IV package (DS-230)

02-10-2010 : PAckage received at NVC

02-16-2010 : LOGIN FAILED & Case Completed

xx-xx-xxxx : Interview

My prayers are with you my sister, iroyin ayo la ma gbo loruko Jesu. Since i am new to all of these too, i just suggested then that it might be better to get married and go with K3 but now that i have truly seen that it's a vendetta against nigerians by the CO, olorun o ni fun se loruko Jesu. All that is meant for evil for you will be turn around for your good in Jesus Name. Keep the faith always!!!!. God bless.

K1 Journey:

3/12/09 - Sent I129F

3/16/09 - Check cashed

3/19/09 - Received hardcopy of NOA1

8/19/09 - NOA2 [online] Thank God!!!!!

8/24/09 - NOA2 hardcopy received!!!

8/25/09 - Received at NVC

8/26/09 - Forwarded to Lagos Consulate

11/4/09 - Interview date

11/12/09- Visa picked up

12/6/09 - Wedding

AOS Journey:

12/21/09- Filed AOS

1/5/2010 - Received NOA1

1/11/2010 - Received Biometrics letter

1/24/2010 - RFE for I-693

1/29/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

2/2/2010 - Sent out RFE response

2/16/2010 - Received Transfer notice to California Service Center.

2/16/2010 - AP Approved

2/16/2010 - EAD card ordered. [online notice]

2/25/2010 - EAD card received

2/18/10 - Advance Parole notice sent

3/5/10 - Advance Parole notice sent back by P.O label undeliverable

3/8/10 - Called USCIS and requested for notice to be resent

3/13/10 - Received Green card approval notice online

3/19/10 - Received hard copy of Approval Letter and Green card. Yay!!!! see you all in 2012

12/12/11 - Getting all the paperwork ready for Removal of Conditions. [Can't believe it's that time already]

12/15/11 - Sent off paperwork with tracking

12/19/11 - Received at VSC

12/21/11 - Check cashed

12/22/11 - Received I797,Notice of Action

12/31/11 - Received Biometrics notice

01/20/12 - Biometrics Appt.

09/15/12 - I797 Notice of Action Approval Decision

09/19/12 - Notice received via USPS and Online

09/22/12 - Green card Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.