nuckinia

Canadian married American and Adjusting Status

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there. My husband and I are in the process of filling out the immigration forms as well, and have some questions that I cannot find concrete answers too. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Basically I came here to visit my boyfriend and he was going to accompany me back to Canada for a short visit, however, shortly after my arrival, he proposed and so we started talking about what to do from there. We decided that I would extend my stay in the US until we could figure out what we both wanted to do. After much research on VJ and a month or so later we decided that since i was here already and didn't have any extremely pressing obligations back home, that we would get married and Adjust my status etc. So here we are, 4 1/2 months since I came here as a visitor, married and are wondering some things about what to fill out in the forms. ?I have searched and searched and either the examples or information provided, doesn't pertain to my circumstances as a Canadian visitor Adjusting Status or the information is just not available (or so I have seen)

I-485 asks for:

my familly name, do I use my married name? I signed our marriage cert. with my married name and plan to change it on all documentation

my address, do I use my husbands address where I have been technically 'living' since I arrived in Feb or my address in Canada?

U.S. Socialy Security # which I do not have, do I leave this blank or put in None, or...?

A# (if any) which I do not have yet, do I leave this blank or provide and explanation? If so, what?

I-94#, I am Canadian, therefore was not issued one at the POE when I entered as a visitor. Do I leave it blank or provide and explanation, if so what?

Current USCIS Status, Technically my status is visitor is it not? If not, what is the correct status for my situation?

when my I-94 #/ or Status expires, do I put down the date which would be 6 months from my entry or another explanation or blank?

my name as it appears on my I-94, again, I was not issued one. What should I enter on this line?

my nonimmigrant visa number, again, not issued one

G-325a asks for: (is this correct for my circumstances? And does my husband need to fill this out and submit it as well for the I-130?)

Alien Registration number, which i do not have at this point. what should I enter?

this form is submitted in conjunction with an application for: status of perm res. or other (specify)?

I-131 asks for:

A Number, again, I don't have one yet

Class of Admission, would this be visitor?

My address, Family name? Current or previous?

Social Security #, none. Do I leave this blank or...?

I-864 asks for:

A #, SSN, name and mailing address.... same questions as above forms.

I-130 asks for:

I-94# with spaces for numbers only, date arrived, date authorized date will expire? What should I enter for these sections?

Also, does each form get inserted into its own folder and envelope and then we submit all envelopes in one large envelope?

Is it important to hole punch the forms at the top of the folder or does it matter?

Can we add up all the fees for all forms and include them on one check and if so would this get placed in the I-485 file?

Sorry for all the questions, but we just want to ensure as I'm sure other people in the same situation are following all steps properly so we can avoid any delay. I have read many different things about people filling out forms and putting them in folders and hole punching and separating each form in separate folders and etc. so I am just really confused and want to do it correctly.

Additionally, we are trying to gather evidence for a bona fide marriage and so far we only have a joint bank account that we just opened and our marriage certificate. Well, also we have photos from the day we met, cards, plane tickets etc. But as for property, lease etc. we are living in a house that his parents own and he pays rent, do we need a letter from his parents verifying that I live here? I do have my bank statements and mail from family coming to this address. He cannot add me to his auto insurance because I would need a US DL and can't get one until I have a green card. He will add me to his work health insurance and as a beneficiary. Is there anything else we should include. And does all this evidence get submitted with our application? or do we wait and bring it to the interview only? Do we mail photos and cards all that too? It's tough to get my name on things because i don't have a SSN or a job or credit in the States. Any suggestions?

Sorry this is so long but these are all questions I have been searching for and have not found the answers. I and I'm sure anyone else in a similar situation will thank you so much for providing this information.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and more importantly for taking the time to respond

Have a fantastic day!!! :)

I-485 asks for:

my familly name, do I use my married name? I signed our marriage cert. with my married name and plan to change it on all documentation

my address, do I use my husbands address where I have been technically 'living' since I arrived in Feb or my address in Canada?

U.S. Socialy Security # which I do not have, do I leave this blank or put in None, or...?

A# (if any) which I do not have yet, do I leave this blank or provide and explanation? If so, what?

I-94#, I am Canadian, therefore was not issued one at the POE when I entered as a visitor. Do I leave it blank or provide and explanation, if so what?

Current USCIS Status, Technically my status is visitor is it not? If not, what is the correct status for my situation?

when my I-94 #/ or Status expires, do I put down the date which would be 6 months from my entry or another explanation or blank?

my name as it appears on my I-94, again, I was not issued one. What should I enter on this line?

Use whichever name you would like on GC, if you want it in your married name then its alot easier to apply for you GC now in your married name, rather than applying for the change later.

Use only current address for the I-485, the G-325a is where you can list previous addresses and employment.

If the answer to A# and I-94 and SS number is none, then put none, do not leave anything blank.

Current status- It would be visitor, but if they did not give you an I-94 then I would put "Canadian, no I-94 issued at time of entry"

G-325a asks for: (is this correct for my circumstances? And does my husband need to fill this out and submit it as well for the I-130?)

Alien Registration number, which i do not have at this point. what should I enter?

this form is submitted in conjunction with an application for: status of perm res. or other (specify)?

If you take a look at the guide it will say both US citizen spouse and beneficiary fill out the G-325a

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2 (I-130 & I-485 concurrent AOS application)

I-131 asks for:

I-864 asks for:

I-130 asks for:

I-94# with spaces for numbers only, date arrived, date authorized date will expire? What should I enter for these sections?

Also, does each form get inserted into its own folder and envelope and then we submit all envelopes in one large envelope?

Is it important to hole punch the forms at the top of the folder or does it matter?

Can we add up all the fees for all forms and include them on one check and if so would this get placed in the I-485 file?

Sorry for all the questions, but we just want to ensure as I'm sure other people in the same situation are following all steps properly so we can avoid any delay. I have read many different things about people filling out forms and putting them in folders and hole punching and separating each form in separate folders and etc. so I am just really confused and want to do it correctly.

Additionally, we are trying to gather evidence for a bona fide marriage and so far we only have a joint bank account that we just opened and our marriage certificate. Well, also we have photos from the day we met, cards, plane tickets etc. But as for property, lease etc. we are living in a house that his parents own and he pays rent, do we need a letter from his parents verifying that I live here? I do have my bank statements and mail from family coming to this address. He cannot add me to his auto insurance because I would need a US DL and can't get one until I have a green card. He will add me to his work health insurance and as a beneficiary. Is there anything else we should include. And does all this evidence get submitted with our application? or do we wait and bring it to the interview only? Do we mail photos and cards all that too? It's tough to get my name on things because i don't have a SSN or a job or credit in the States. Any suggestions?

Sorry this is so long but these are all questions I have been searching for and have not found the answers. I and I'm sure anyone else in a similar situation will thank you so much for providing this information.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and more importantly for taking the time to respond

Edited by minnew

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I-485 asks for:

Use whichever name you would like on GC, if you want it in your married name then its alot easier to apply for you GC now in your married name, rather than applying for the change later.

Use only current address for the I-485, the G-325a is where you can list previous addresses and employment.

If the answer to A# and I-94 and SS number is none, then put none, do not leave anything blank.

Current status- It would be visitor, but if they did not give you an I-94 then I would put "Canadian, no I-94 issued at time of entry"

If you take a look at the guide it will say both US citizen spouse and beneficiary fill out the G-325a

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2 (I-130 & I-485 concurrent AOS application)

I-131 asks for:

I-864 asks for:

I-130 asks for:

Thanks so much for the information. I just have noticed that since I don't have a SSN it is tricky trying to get my name on documents and such to prove a bona fide marriage. But the affidavits are a good idea too.

Best wishes on your upcoming wedding!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.