Kevin-n-Merlaine

Travel to the Phils

12 posts in this topic

I'll be flying to Manila then on to Tacloban during the second week in August. I've checked flight schedules till I'm cross-eyed and thought I might find some suggestions from all of you. The flight TO Manila/Tacloban isn't too much of a problem. The best prices I've found are on AA and JAL. I plan on staying over a day in Manila to meet some people, then flying on to Tacloban the following day. The flights arrive in Manila (from Tokyo) late evening so that works well. For the return though, It looks like I'm stuck having to stay in Manila again. All of the flights that leave Manila are:

1. either too early to catch from Tacloban or,

2. have a 20+ hour layover in Japan.

I hoped some of you might have a way you prefer to go, who you fly with and where you get ticketed. I've only flown overseas on China Air so I'm not sure how disappointed (or not), I'll be with American. Loved China Air, but If I use them for this trip, it makes for a lot of stops. Is PAL the best way to fly from Manila? What are the airport "fees" now (I've only found older posts)? Will I pay those fees in Manila and Tacloban?

I appreciate any advise, suggestions or tips you all may have!!

-USCIS-

COMPLETED - March 9th, 2010

-NVC-

CASE COMPLETE - April 2nd, 2010

-INTERVIEW-

APPROVED - May 18th, 2010

POE - Detroit, June 11th, 2010

GREEN CARD - July 21st, 2010

SS CARD - August 13th, 2010

-ROC-

I-751 Sent March 23rd, 2012

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

Biometrics Appt. April 27th, 2012

Bio done early - April 18th, 2012

ROC Approved - September 12, 2012

10 Year GC - September 17, 2012

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I'll be flying to Manila then on to Tacloban during the second week in August. I've checked flight schedules till I'm cross-eyed and thought I might find some suggestions from all of you. The flight TO Manila/Tacloban isn't too much of a problem. The best prices I've found are on AA and JAL. I plan on staying over a day in Manila to meet some people, then flying on to Tacloban the following day. The flights arrive in Manila (from Tokyo) late evening so that works well. For the return though, It looks like I'm stuck having to stay in Manila again. All of the flights that leave Manila are:

I hoped some of you might have a way you prefer to go, who you fly with and where you get ticketed. I've only flown overseas on China Air so I'm not sure how disappointed (or not), I'll be with American. Loved China Air, but If I use them for this trip, it makes for a lot of stops. Is PAL the best way to fly from Manila? What are the airport "fees" now (I've only found older posts)? Will I pay those fees in Manila and Tacloban?

Pal is the best from the US if you want the shortest flight and the have their own terminal in manila, you will arrive in manila around 630 am if leaving from LAX and if you take a taxi to the Domestic airport you can buy ticket from one of several airlines ( zest air, Cebu pacific, Pal is across the street from the domestic) I would not use pal for domestic flights however because they charge a lot for excess baggage.

xl91yv7f.png

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I fly out of Seattle ...

I prefer EVA or China Air with one stop over in Taipei then on to Manila ... arrival in Manila is about noon ...

For your Manila to Tacloban flight ... choose PAL ... price may be a bit higher ... but PAL is the way to go ... trust me on that ... stay away from Cebu Pacific ...

I wont try to comment on the airport fees ... my memory is not so good ... most are included in the price of your ticket ... but I do remember paying a fee upon departure ... cant recall how much it was though ...

-- George

JollyRogerSIG.gif

"Yes I am a Pirate - 200 years too late - The cannons dont thunder

There's nothing to plunder - I'm an over 40 victim of fate"

Visit my website! OR Visit me at Friendster!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Try Korean Air and Continental for late night flights out of Manila. I know Korean Air flies late night out of Cebu (but not sure about Manila schedules) and Continental flies late night out of Manila.

I can fly from here in Wichita to LAX, then China air from there to Manila for $1030, then the $60 or so on PAL for the Tacloban flight. That's through a travel agent. I can get it $100 cheaper online but I'm starting to think I might just want to stick with China Air instead of AA and Japan Air. I know what to expect with China Air. Appreciate the help so far!!

-USCIS-

-NVC-

-INTERVIEW-

-ROC-

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
What are the airport "fees" now (I've only found older posts)?

terminal fee for domestic flights is P200.... terminal fee for international flights is P750... i don't know if you also pay travel tax (usually filipinos going out of the philippines pay this) but it costs P1625. this was the fee in june 2009 when i was there...

What are the airport "fees" now (I've only found older posts)?

terminal fee for domestic flights is P200.... terminal fee for international flights is P750... i don't know if you also pay travel tax (usually filipinos going out of the philippines pay this) but it costs P1625. this was the fee in june 2009 when i was there...

So, assuming I'd pay the travel tax too, I might have to pay -

P200 from Manila to Tacloban

P200 from Tacloban back to Manila

P750 + P1625 from Manila back to the US

Is that how it works? I'd pay a terminal fee at each airport upon departure and perhaps travel tax leaving PI?

-USCIS-

-NVC-

-INTERVIEW-

-ROC-

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

So, assuming I'd pay the travel tax too, I might have to pay -

P200 from Manila to Tacloban

P200 from Tacloban back to Manila

P750 + P1625 from Manila back to the US

Is that how it works? I'd pay a terminal fee at each airport upon departure and perhaps travel tax leaving PI?

Foreign nationals who stayed less than one year are exempt from paying the travel tax.

Last Febuary, (2009) they had change at Manila and even take American Dollars now!

Ako gugma ko GWAPA asawa Kathlene!

(I love my BEAUTIFUL wife Kathlene!)

_________

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

George Bernard Shaw

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Pal is the best from the US if you want the shortest flight and the have their own terminal in manila, you will arrive in manila around 630 am if leaving from LAX and if you take a taxi to the Domestic airport you can buy ticket from one of several airlines ( zest air, Cebu pacific, Pal is across the street from the domestic) I would not use pal for domestic flights however because they charge a lot for excess baggage.

My wife and I have over 20 flights on Cebu Pacific throughout the Philippines. The only bad experience that we had was one delayed flight for me only, and early morning flight from the old domestic airport in Manila, to Tacloban. No worse, and probably better then, my experiences with U.S. airlines.

Cebu Pacific now operates out of the new Terminal 3 building of NAIA. It is still a taxi ride from the International terminal for now though. The terminal fee at the new Terminal 3 was P200 for domestic flights. The terminal fee in Tacloban was only P30. The terminal fee for international flights when you leave the Philippines is P750.

donald -n- analyn

For Filipino events on the Space Coast, see our organization's web site.

2006-09-21 :: met online

2007-05-23 :: first met in Philippines

2009-03-22 :: welcome to USA, POE Detroit!!!

2009-06-13 :: married in Florida!!!

2010-03-18 :: AoS approved, no interview :-)

See our timeline for the riveting details! Good luck on YOUR journey!

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the help :)

-USCIS-

-NVC-

-INTERVIEW-

-ROC-

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.