Nick'n'Nat

AP what the hell for? Dont change name!!!!

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Ok so I applied for AP for Natasha, but she took my last name, so how the heck can she travel to Russia???

Her internal and external Russian passports show her maiden name, you can't get consulate to stamp without green card for her new last name!!! AP will show new last name, I just don't understand what name we would buy tickets in and how she can get in and out of Russia and then enter US. And when she has green card how can we get the stamp from consulate? Do we have to go there or can we fed ex everything? This is just a damn mess.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For everything I've needed to deal with for the name change, I've carried a certified copy of my marriage certificate with me.

My passport is in my maiden name, driver's license in married, SSN in married, etc. All happily tied together with the certificate.

As for booking the flights, call the airline and explain. Chances are they will have been through this before. :thumbs:

BTW, congrats on your marriage. :)

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Timeline

Thanks ceriserose, we have been married just over two months now and its her birthday tomorrow, I am going to get her one of those salon packages with the works : ) She has been hinting at it a bit. She will be 21 !!!!! :thumbs:;)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Ok so I applied for AP for Natasha, but she took my last name, so how the heck can she travel to Russia???

My wife has everything in her maiden name now for exactly this reason. She will probably change her driver's license at some point (which is fine for everything in the US).

Once she has a US Passport, it is trivial to change your name there.

Don't worry :) Most of the time, you will be fine anyway (as long as you are travelling together).

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Her internal and external Russian passports show her maiden name, you can't get consulate to stamp without green card for her new last name!!! AP will show new last name, I just don't understand what name we would buy tickets in and how she can get in and out of Russia and then enter US. And when she has green card how can we get the stamp from consulate? Do we have to go there or can we fed ex everything? This is just a damn mess.

I loooove these insane titles! :)

Airline tickets MUST match the passport.

Marriage certificate+old name evidence (passport) = new name evidence (EAD, Green Card, AP etc).

When travelling, many women book the tix in their maiden name and carry the marriage certificate as evidence of the different name. One may even legally use two different names.

Happy 21st birthday, Nat! :star:

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Meauxna and Ceriserose,

The only reason people are concerned about this issue on the Russian forum is because a fellow VJ member dealing with Russia had the following unexpected experience:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14934.

Because Russian authorities have exit border patrol they can enforce arbitrary and capricious judgment in terms of how to control their own citizens. Thus as in the story above, the certified marriage certificate is as a good as toilet paper to "some" Russian authorities.

But in my opinion you should have no trouble using your AP, airline tickets in maiden name with certified marriage certificate. If you want to go all out you can even get the thing translated, appostiled and certified by the Russian consulate, thus making it a legal document in Russia.

However, a better question to ask is, why the rush to return to Russia? My wife didn't go back for 1.5 years and she won't be going back anytime soon either. There are so many wonder and truly relaxing places to go on vacation to. Why Russia? Sorry to rant...just another unhappy ex-pat speaking here.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks for the context, Satellite. I knew about the exit controls, but haven't heard of problems with these documents before.

Wow, the hassles in that other thread!

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline
Meauxna and Ceriserose,

The only reason people are concerned about this issue on the Russian forum is because a fellow VJ member dealing with Russia had the following unexpected experience:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14934.

Because Russian authorities have exit border patrol they can enforce arbitrary and capricious judgment in terms of how to control their own citizens. Thus as in the story above, the certified marriage certificate is as a good as toilet paper to "some" Russian authorities.

But in my opinion you should have no trouble using your AP, airline tickets in maiden name with certified marriage certificate. If you want to go all out you can even get the thing translated, appostiled and certified by the Russian consulate, thus making it a legal document in Russia.

However, a better question to ask is, why the rush to return to Russia? My wife didn't go back for 1.5 years and she won't be going back anytime soon either. There are so many wonder and truly relaxing places to go on vacation to. Why Russia? Sorry to rant...just another unhappy ex-pat speaking here.

I suspected that part of the reason for the question was as a result of something specific to Russia I didn't know. I also figured that my 'pat' answer may not suffice for that part, but that it would at least help in the US for other things. I've seen the married/maiden name thing come up a few times.

I'll be checking out your link now. :) Thanks for making sure it was covered fully. :thumbs:

Happy 21st Birthday Nat! I hope you enjoy the spa package! :)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Ok so I applied for AP for Natasha, but she took my last name, so how the heck can she travel to Russia???....This is just a damn mess.
As I have said many times before - it bewilders and astounds me that anyone would change his or her name simply due to getting married. It has no practical advantages while causing a lot of headaches.

As for why get an AP...well, there are places to go BESIDES Russia. If you go to a sensible country, they will be more than happy to understand that AP + Marriage Certificate + Passport are good enough to travel - even with a changed name.

Good luck!

Cheers!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

she's ready to go back already???

*only asking since tracy the instigator is on holiday! :innocent: *

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

If the folks here on the Russia forum had to "struggle" through the visa process the way those from the UK/Canada do.... I don't know how we'd make it. I mean gosh, it must be hard to go three whole months without seeing your S/O. And all the "hassles" to travel back and forth, the six month visitor visas, man... it's gotta be hard. I feel sorry for those guys.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

If the folks here on the Russia forum had to "struggle" through the visa process the way those from the UK/Canada do.... I don't know how we'd make it. I mean gosh, it must be hard to go three whole months without seeing your S/O. And all the "hassles" to travel back and forth, the six month visitor visas, man... it's gotta be hard. I feel sorry for those guys.

:unsure:

Is that my sarcasm radar going off again?! :wacko:

I tell you all 1 thing, I'm seriously considering quiting my job and cashing out my 401(k) and moving off to Russia...too bad my retirement plan isn't exactly up to par with my age, if it was, I wouldn't be as hesitant! :crying::cry::crying:

For those who didn't know, the easiest way to immigrate to Russia (like the US and probably most of the world) is to marry a citizen...I want to know if they will accept a legal US wedding as I am thinking in 20-30 years when I retire I want us to move there. This is assuming she does not take US Citizenship (just remains an LPR) which is probably a bigger hassle! :yes:

I am assuming I live that long. :unsure:

:ot:

I thought I read somewhere within these pages that someone had an unofficial wedding in Russia, does anyone recall reading that? I am planning on returning to the Far East in Feb (hoping that Olga has the visa then) and having (or attempting to have) an unofficial ceremony for her parents, then fly back together! :)

/hijack on

Also we plan on visiting St Pete's and Moscow eventually (sometime after she receives travel authorization),

Edited by Marc and Olga

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!

Timeline

Natasha is not planning on going back until February, and personally I don't see why anyone would consider this out of the ordinary, she has elderly parents, a grandmother who is 85 and many very close friends, why wouldn't she want to go back and see them. Hell I wish I could go back to Russia for a few months and see the friends I have there. Well anyway I guess we just do what we have to when the time comes.

Timeline

I guess I'll just keep my Canadian 2 cents to myself then huh? I didn't realize that offering help to other forums was verboten because I come from an "easier" country (since it took me a year to get my visa and it's been a year since I've been here and still no green card to cross the border I feel like it's really easy for me! Especially when I have relatives who are older and ill.) :thumbs: But then again, like the people who chose a mate from a more "difficult" country I make my choices and live with the way things happen.

I'm not taking back the good wishes to Nick and Nat though. For whatever they're worth. :yes:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I guess I'll just keep my Canadian 2 cents to myself then huh? I didn't realize that offering help to other forums was verboten because I come from an "easier" country (since it took me a year to get my visa and it's been a year since I've been here and still no green card to cross the border I feel like it's really easy for me! Especially when I have relatives who are older and ill.) :thumbs: But then again, like the people who chose a mate from a more "difficult" country I make my choices and live with the way things happen.

I'm not taking back the good wishes to Nick and Nat though. For whatever they're worth. :yes:

I don't think that comment was aimed at you in particular. I don't think anyone really 'choses' a mate from a diffucult country. I doubt anyone would intentionally make themselves go through the issues associated with Russian travel and bearuocricy.

Anyway... Good luck Nick' n 'Nat !!!!!

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.