Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

US refugee travel document

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi there,

my wife is a US permanent resident and her travel document is soon to expire. It’s so annoying they only last one year and then it takes a year to get a new one because, as usual, we pay for a service and yet it takes forever! Why is this? My wife was a refugee, an asylee. She is not free to return to her own country without persecution. She never had a passport there anyway, and would not have been able to get one. She’s been in America for six years and very much appreciates America giving her asylum and she loves this country, but I very much resent that half the time she is not free to leave, even for a holiday. That’s even more infuriating when you consider that it’ll be another few years until she can bring me to America as her husband. We may just go and live in England instead, and to hell with America (excuse my frustration), but it’ll be another year until she has a travel document to go to England. She’s stuck here, in the land of the “free”?

Anyway, we know of someone else in the same circumstances getting a two year travel document. All I can find online is “refugee travel documents last one year”. Yes, even though my wife is a green card holder, she’s still seen as a “refugee”. Maybe that’s why it takes one whole year to get a travel document renewed? Why are there not different travel documents for different circumstances? Why does a renewal take up to a year? A renewal for god's sake!

My wife has a lawyer, pro bono, who is kindly helping with this. But the lawyer says my wife is talking about a “re-entry permit” as those are valid for two years. But what is a re-entry permit? Is it used like a travel document? Can foreign visas be put inside? Please note, the lawyer earlier told us “You don’t need a travel document because you have a green card”. I think the lawyer never left America and doesn’t realise that, while a green card will get you back into America, it won’t get you into another country when you need a visa. Therfore I'm not confident about this re-entry permit idea, as I don’t want us to wait a year for a re-entry permit only to find we need a travel document.

Please can anyone give us some info about this?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

a refugee is being given a gift of status. they do not have a right to such status. they usually pay nothing for this gift, so should usually expect the minimum. this is something you need to learn about America. people who get here and live here for free don't have the right to demand a place at the front of the line. that place has already been bought and paid for.

even so, people entering via other legal process can have "trapped moments" when they wait for green cards, or to get corrected green cards, or to get...



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.