Chittu and Piya

CRBA Inquiry for Chennai India...

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Good Morning. I am a US Citizen,and my wife is a green card holder(currently CR1). We just had our baby in India, We got the basic information on how to apply for CRBA for the US Embassy website for Chennai, but we need answers to these specific question, your guidance is much appreciated.

1) When we come in for the CRBA process in Chennai, can we just walk -in or do we need to have an appointment? If so what is the process for that.

2) Once we come in to the embassy, submit the required documents, and pay the required fees, and everything is approved, can the baby travel to the US right away? Or does the baby need to wait until a passport is issued in order to travel back?

3) It mentions on the website the process if only one parent is in India ( which is our case) Is it mandatory for both the parents to be there for the CRBA procedure?

4) In the above case how do we make an appointment for the green card holder wife to go into the embassy, or can she just walk in as she will be applying for the CRBA process>

Please guide us, Thanks.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
Good Morning. I am a US Citizen,and my wife is a green card holder(currently CR1). We just had our baby in India, We got the basic information on how to apply for CRBA for the US Embassy website for Chennai, but we need answers to these specific question, your guidance is much appreciated.

1) When we come in for the CRBA process in Chennai, can we just walk -in or do we need to have an appointment? If so what is the process for that.

2) Once we come in to the embassy, submit the required documents, and pay the required fees, and everything is approved, can the baby travel to the US right away? Or does the baby need to wait until a passport is issued in order to travel back?

3) It mentions on the website the process if only one parent is in India ( which is our case) Is it mandatory for both the parents to be there for the CRBA procedure?

4) In the above case how do we make an appointment for the green card holder wife to go into the embassy, or can she just walk in as she will be applying for the CRBA process>

Please guide us, Thanks.

I don't know of how much help I will be but I just did this a few weeks ago in Mumbai.

1) You need an appointment

2) The baby needs a passport and will require an exit stamp to leave India (they will tell you how to get the stamp)

3) Both parents need to be present if you intend to also apply for a passport. The baby must also be present no matter what.

4) Email them or give them a call- either way they can schedule an appointmet for you- and answer any of your questions.

And don't worry, the process was fairly simple and they sent the passport and birth certificate in just a few days by courier. You as a U.S. citizen male will also be required to sign an affidavit that you will support the child until he or she is 18 years old.

Our Timeline

Met online: 2005-08

Met in person the first time: 2007-11-11 <3

December I-129F Sent: 2008-12-18 | I-129F NOA1: 2008-12-24

April Our baby is born: 2009-04 <3<3<3

May CRBA* Interview: 2009-05 *Consular Report of Birth Abroad

July I-129F NOA2 : 2009-07-08 | NVC Received:2009-07-17 | Baby & Mommy returned to the U.S. 2009-07-20

August Consulate Received : 2009-08-06

September Packet 3 Received : 2009-09-09

Notified Case will be transfered: 2009-9-10

October Case transfered from New Delhi to Mumbai 2009-10-23 | Packet 3 received FROM MUMBAI: 2009-10-31

November Packet 3 Returned to Mumbai: 2009-11-03 | Packet 4/Interview Letter Received by EMAIL: 2009-11-23 | Documents Submitted: 2009-11-30

December Interview: 2009-12-09 (Result: 221g - Get joint sponsor)

January -Joint Sponsor Documents Submitted- | Visa Issued :)2010-01

February Arrived in U.S. 2010-02 :) <3 | Married: 2010-02 <3

April Filed AOS(Rec. by USCIS): 2010-04-23

June Biometrics Appointment: 2010-06-02 | RFE: 2010-06-02 Request for copy of foreign BC;

Evidence Rec. by USCIS- 2010-06-07 | Denied*- 2010-06-08 :(*Due ultimately to USCIS error/claims foreign BC is translation

Currently: Refiling :(

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.