Jeremy&SioTo

US Embassy in Hong Kong- Visa Interview Failure

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

I am so depressed. My fiance Dora was rejected at her Hong Kong embassy interview. They said we needed more proof of relationship. That was OK, but then afterwards when we submitted all the extra docs they asked us to send, then again sent a letter that said they are not sure of our "timeline". HK embassy has now said we need to send over all immigration records from the Macau immigration offices to show when she went in and out of Macau, Dora is from Macau.

They worst part is the girl from the embassy told Dora, "after you send in the immigration records we have no idea how long it will be until you can get a new interview date, and then we are not sure you will pass that interview, you have to wait and see."

We are both so upset and low now, it has been almost 8 months now, and it seems that things are getting worse not better. I just can not take the endless "one more doc" "one more letter" round and round, it is so depressing.

We are now thinking Dora might try to come visit me in the USA again, while we wait on the HK embassy to review the latest set of papers Dora will send tomorrow, they said this process may take 6 more months!!!!!

I feel so hopeless and sad, I do not know what to do to get this visa through.

Should I call a senator, or call the embassy? Anything I can do? Help.

Jeremy

K-1 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Hong Kong, China

Fiancé Hometown: Macau

12/01/2007: First met on a blind date at the Federal Dim Sum in Macau

02/06/2008: Engaged!

11/09/2008: Move back to USA from Macau after job transfer

11/19/2008: I-129F Sent

11/21/2008: I-129F NOA1

02/01/2009: Dora 90 day visa waiver expired, she returned to Macau to wait K1

03/27/2009: I-129F NOA2 Email

04/02/2009: I-129F NOA2 Letter in my mailbox

04/05/2009: Letter from NVC advising petition has been sent to Hong Kong Consulate

04/08/2009: Consulate Received

04/16/2009: Packet 3 Received

06/22/2009: Interview

07/07/2009: Placed in Administrative Processing at Hong Kong Embassy

09/18/2009: 2nd Interview at embassy, APPROVED!!!!!!!! (10 months from mailing in I-129F)

**/**/****: US Entry

**/**/****: Marriage

Timeline
I am so depressed. My fiance Dora was rejected at her Hong Kong embassy interview. They said we needed more proof of relationship. That was OK, but then afterwards when we submitted all the extra docs they asked us to send, then again sent a letter that said they are not sure of our "timeline". HK embassy has now said we need to send over all immigration records from the Macau immigration offices to show when she went in and out of Macau, Dora is from Macau.

They worst part is the girl from the embassy told Dora, "after you send in the immigration records we have no idea how long it will be until you can get a new interview date, and then we are not sure you will pass that interview, you have to wait and see."

We are both so upset and low now, it has been almost 8 months now, and it seems that things are getting worse not better. I just can not take the endless "one more doc" "one more letter" round and round, it is so depressing.

We are now thinking Dora might try to come visit me in the USA again, while we wait on the HK embassy to review the latest set of papers Dora will send tomorrow, they said this process may take 6 more months!!!!!

Jeremy

I just called the Department of State, the operator told me "as of July 7th your file was marked as in Administrative Processing". This is bad news, really makes my stomach hurt to say it. I guess this means we are in for a really really long wait, with no updates.

We had decided to just have Dora come over here and wait out the 6 months on her VWP Portuguese passport (some Chinese residents of Macau have Portuguese passports due to Macau's previous colony status. But if that could raise a red flag, or delay the AP should she come here? I search all over VJ and every other post seems to disagree about VWP visits causing problems with the K1 process, or possible rejection at immigration POE when she tries to visit.

I did find the form to fax to my senator to deal with other government agencies, I am worried about trying to explain the entire process and issues to the senator's office via a small fax page. It seems like bringing in the Senator's office could complicate the entire process.

Dora's sister in Macau is an attorney and has immigration attorney contacts in Hong Kong. We are going to have her ask some questions to them to see if there is anything we could do now to help.

If the consulate had not got our hopes up so high when they took her passport and had her pay for shipping once the visa was issued we would not have got so excited, we were so expecting to be together by this week. So changing gears back to the mode of "it may be 6 more months" is just hard to swallow, we will just have to get adjusted and get used to being alone again, with not hope for quick resolution.

K-1 Visa

04/05/2009: Letter from NVC advising petition has been sent to Hong Kong Consulate

09/18/2009: 2nd Interview at embassy, APPROVED!!!!!!!! (10 months from mailing in I-129F)

Timeline

Jeremy,

I really am so sorry to hear the bad news. After all that you and Dora have gone through, now it is again hurry up and wait. I just feel really bad and I can understand how you feel because we all know it is so hard to wait. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Timeline
Jeremy,

I really am so sorry to hear the bad news. After all that you and Dora have gone through, now it is again hurry up and wait. I just feel really bad and I can understand how you feel because we all know it is so hard to wait. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Thanks you Alias, we are both calming down a little now. We will just keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. I wrote an email to the HK embassy, and just doing that helped to make me feel better. I will wait to see if their return email has any more details on what will happen next.

K-1 Visa

Hi Jeremy and Dora,

We have been through on that situation. Until, finally we both decided to get married outside of USA and my country. And we applied for Petition of Alien Relative (Form I-130). We both present in US embassy to submit all the documents and they were so helpful to us because they advised and helped us to finish it with in at least 2 months. I received a CR1 visa then flow right to Miami. But before 2 years (before my green card expired) I applied for Removal of conditional status (Form I-751). Then, now I just received my 10 years green card after 6 months waiting. I hope this letter will serve you guys an idea to help your problem. Good luck.

Timeline
Hi Jeremy and Dora,

We have been through on that situation. Until, finally we both decided to get married outside of USA and my country. And we applied for Petition of Alien Relative (Form I-130). We both present in US embassy to submit all the documents and they were so helpful to us because they advised and helped us to finish it with in at least 2 months. I received a CR1 visa then flow right to Miami. But before 2 years (before my green card expired) I applied for Removal of conditional status (Form I-751). Then, now I just received my 10 years green card after 6 months waiting. I hope this letter will serve you guys an idea to help your problem. Good luck.

Filamrogers,

Thanks for the advice, if this goes forward much longer we are going to consider the marriage option, and do an I-130. Congrats on the 10 year card!

K-1 Visa

so sorry that happen

u can marry first then apply for the CR1 that is the one option u have

mostly CR1 has less chance to deny the visa

good luck

abby n sheryl

Our time line for CR1 visa took only 5 months and 1 week or 156 days; from the filing the I-130 on the 03-12-2009 to Approval of NOA2 on the 05/13/2009, then Interview on the 08/18/2009 at Manila, Philippines. We had a daughter on the 11-12-2010 named AISHA JOY means HAPPY LIFE.a1_opt-1.jpga2_opt-1.jpga3_opt-1.jpg

Timeline

Jeremy

I just called the Department of State, the operator told me "as of July 7th your file was marked as in Administrative Processing". This is bad news, really makes my stomach hurt to say it. I guess this means we are in for a really really long wait, with no updates.

We had decided to just have Dora come over here and wait out the 6 months on her VWP Portuguese passport (some Chinese residents of Macau have Portuguese passports due to Macau's previous colony status. But if that could raise a red flag, or delay the AP should she come here? I search all over VJ and every other post seems to disagree about VWP visits causing problems with the K1 process, or possible rejection at immigration POE when she tries to visit.

I did find the form to fax to my senator to deal with other government agencies, I am worried about trying to explain the entire process and issues to the senator's office via a small fax page. It seems like bringing in the Senator's office could complicate the entire process.

Dora's sister in Macau is an attorney and has immigration attorney contacts in Hong Kong. We are going to have her ask some questions to them to see if there is anything we could do now to help.

If the consulate had not got our hopes up so high when they took her passport and had her pay for shipping once the visa was issued we would not have got so excited, we were so expecting to be together by this week. So changing gears back to the mode of "it may be 6 more months" is just hard to swallow, we will just have to get adjusted and get used to being alone again, with not hope for quick resolution.

Just in case anyone is curious, I will paste the letter from the Hong Kong embassy below stating that we are in administrative processing. The re-type is quick and rough, but you can get the general idea.

"this is office is unable to issue an immigrant visa to you because you

have been found ineligible to receive a visa under the following

sections of the united states immigration and national act:

1) your case has been suspended under section 221(G) of the united

stated immigration and national act, pending the receipt and review of

the information and documents listed below:

enter and exit record from Macau immigration authoities for LOU, Sio

To and Gary Souders,

your cas has been suspended under section 221(G) of the immigration

and National act, pending additianl proccessing. We will contact you

should additional information be required or when the processing is

complete.

No further action is necessary on you part. If you wish to inquire

about the status of your case, please use the inquiry form on our

website at http:/.hongkong.usconsulate.gov.

you or comeone desingated by you can submit all document exactly as

requested to the Visa information unit's outside window at the

consulate general way working day, form 3pm until 4pm. no appointment

necessary.please remember to bring a copy of this letter.

please do not drop your passport at the us consulate when u submit ur documents."

K-1 Visa

Timeline

Jeremy,

So this blue sheet is almost the same as the first blue sheet. Except this one doesn't say to submit your passport and also doesn't state that you will receive your visa upon receiving the document(s). If it is similar, then it shouldn't take months. I would suspect it would take a couple of weeks. Then if they have to reschedule for another interview, it might take another month. I think US Consulate in HK is not really that busy so they will be able to work much faster they say.

Timeline
Jeremy,

So this blue sheet is almost the same as the first blue sheet. Except this one doesn't say to submit your passport and also doesn't state that you will receive your visa upon receiving the document(s). If it is similar, then it shouldn't take months. I would suspect it would take a couple of weeks. Then if they have to reschedule for another interview, it might take another month. I think US Consulate in HK is not really that busy so they will be able to work much faster they say.

Alias,

Thank you for your positive thoughts, I really hope that you are right. I have searched VJ and the WWW about being in AP, there are a million reasons to be in AP, and every embassy has a different process. I guess so far we are lucky that the embassy is working the file from the Hong Kong side, the alternative is that they kick the file all the way back to the USA side for the USCIS to research our case further, if that happens it is really a black hole. We are both a little discouraged right now, as we were so sure we were almost back together. Honestly, I have just gone from sad to depressed to tears to angry back to depressed for a couple days now. I will have to find some way to deal with this or I will not be able to do my job anymore. I am reading up on getting married in Macau, then canceling our fiance visa app and applying for a CR1. The CR1 process only takes around 6 months, if we had just married in Macau when living there Dora would already be here in the USA. It is amazing that it has taken almost 8 months to get a non-immigrant fiance visa, so Dora can come here, marry, then apply for an immigrant visa!

Jeremy

K-1 Visa

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

thank you for posting your HELL!!! I'm i the same type situation, here is my post on the HK consulate suspending my application.....

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/266844-k1-visa-denied/

I see you were successful.. that's all that gets us through it..Aron

AN ACT OF KINDNESS

LIFTS TWO SOULS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.