honestlyspkng

ss card and number

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Is it possible for my wife who is in the country with a K-3 visa and valid I-94 to have a social security number

without first having her EAD? Everyone asks for the number she does not have from the bank to the insurance company.

On another note, on the back of her I-94 it is stamped and hand written K-4 as well as our child. Is it not supposed to

say K-3 on hers? Is there something I need to do about this? USCIS C/S line could not help with that one.

I trust the people here even more after one answered my question on the C/S line in a quite sarcastic way "I don't know,

I have never submitted a form like that before". That one caught me off guard and left me speechless.

Thanks to all here, and Dan, I almost wish I was going to Kiev with you. My wife is with me but I still enjoyed the city.

Good Luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Is it possible for my wife who is in the country with a K-3 visa and valid I-94 to have a social security number

without first having her EAD? Everyone asks for the number she does not have from the bank to the insurance company.

On another note, on the back of her I-94 it is stamped and hand written K-4 as well as our child. Is it not supposed to

say K-3 on hers? Is there something I need to do about this? USCIS C/S line could not help with that one.

I trust the people here even more after one answered my question on the C/S line in a quite sarcastic way "I don't know,

I have never submitted a form like that before". That one caught me off guard and left me speechless.

Thanks to all here, and Dan, I almost wish I was going to Kiev with you. My wife is with me but I still enjoyed the city.

Good Luck.

K-3s are not eligible for an SSN until they have an EAD or Green Card

As far as the error in her I-94 I would not worry about it. Adjustment of status is the same in either case. The I-94 is not a USCIS form. It is a CBP form. File your AOS with a copy of it, I do not imagine it could be a problem. You will also make a copy of her passport and visa, they will understand it is an error

Be glad the the person you talked to was just rude. It is the best service you can hope for. What's worse is when they spew some BS at you to get you off the phone and then you have bad information

USCIS customer service is worthless. A complete waste of tax dollars and I wish people would quit calling them so maybe they would disconnect the phone lines and save us some money.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Been commenting about three trips to our field office for biometrics, forgot about the EAD, that back then was another trip. But I see now you have to provide two passport size photos. We filed the I-765 with the entire I-485 package to get that EAD card as soon as possible back then. Can't do anything without it, like getting a probationary SS and even a driver's license, step daughter needed it to attend school so more than just an employment authorization document.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Is the site that explains the form. Our attorney recommended it, kind of like a gap filler, recall the fees were about the same, an extra $680.00 for the two of them. While the USCIS had a complete package of all our forms, everything, takes forever to get those conditional green cards, but somehow they managed to send us the EAD cards four months sooner than the conditional cards, so it's not like you get it instantly. But with the EAD, you can get a probationary SS card. Then for us, it was another trip to the SS office to change status from probationary to legal alien permitted to work after the green cards came in.

The I-765 was optional as is the I-131 if you want to travel abroad while waiting for that conditional green card. Another 305 bucks that will give you a couple of months, but wouldn't need either that travel document nor the EAD if they weren't so damn slow in giving you that conditional green card. With the conditional green card, you are then a lawful PERMANENT resident, well you to be that way, have to renew the conditional green card within two year or you are here illegally if you don't, only to get a ten year card that use to be a lifetime card.

Other contradiction being a LPR, you still cannot get a US passport so have to try to maintain a foreign passport as well with many countries only having two consolate offices in the entire USA and have to show up in person to keep your foreign passport current. Then that foreign country may not want to issue it because you are living here. Have to get your USC first before you can apply for a US passport with then another visit to the SS office to change your status.

From start to finish, this process can take over five years with another 1,300 bucks roughly per person in fees not too mention the additonal trips for the I-751 and the N-400. Was three long trips for us with the N-400, biometrics, interview, then the oath ceremony.

It's a darn good idea to download the I-751 and N-400 so you can start saving evidence and watch your trips outside of the USA and keep track of those trips. Key word with the USCIS is JOINT, and joint everything, those that waited to the last minute find they cannot turn back the clock.

You also have to be good, watch your speed limits and stay away from the bottle or drugs and be careful which organizations you join.

Also a good idea to buy a double sized king bed, for you, your alein spouse, and the USCIS, you will be in bed with them for a long time.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Gary;

Thanks for confirming. It is as I thought, and even though I received a denial for my wife's w-7 because the embassy, when certifying her passport copy, only stated the attached document is certified so the IRS denied her ITIN because they did not identify the document attached as her passport copy. Stupid gets worse when they give me 45 days to respond, she is here in 20 days and we go to the local IRS office where they said they would overnight a certified copy of her passport to Texas. I then get a letter that began, "since you failed to respond in 45 days" so I returned to the IRS ofice. Yes, you guessed, all they could tell me is that even though they did what they said they would do, something went wrong and I would have to wait to see how badly my return was ruined and then file an ammended return. Yesterday we received in the mail her OFFICIAL ITIN. Now, I wait for the next display of ignorance. Actually the USCIS CS line was helpful the last time I spoke with them, and it is exactly as you have said before, it depends on who you speak with. Why they allow inexperienced people to give answers to questions from a menu only because they lack the experience to do otherwise though, that is thier mistake I think. It creates more problems and ill feelings toward USCIS than it helps. Thank goodness for the people here. I am told that I can get a SS number for the child being 6 years old and not anywhere near ready to work, if I bring all original documents to the local IRS office. I'll try it and se if it works.

Thanks again for your reply.

Joe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Gary;

Thanks for confirming. It is as I thought, and even though I received a denial for my wife's w-7 because the embassy, when certifying her passport copy, only stated the attached document is certified so the IRS denied her ITIN because they did not identify the document attached as her passport copy. Stupid gets worse when they give me 45 days to respond, she is here in 20 days and we go to the local IRS office where they said they would overnight a certified copy of her passport to Texas. I then get a letter that began, "since you failed to respond in 45 days" so I returned to the IRS ofice. Yes, you guessed, all they could tell me is that even though they did what they said they would do, something went wrong and I would have to wait to see how badly my return was ruined and then file an ammended return. Yesterday we received in the mail her OFFICIAL ITIN. Now, I wait for the next display of ignorance. Actually the USCIS CS line was helpful the last time I spoke with them, and it is exactly as you have said before, it depends on who you speak with. Why they allow inexperienced people to give answers to questions from a menu only because they lack the experience to do otherwise though, that is thier mistake I think. It creates more problems and ill feelings toward USCIS than it helps. Thank goodness for the people here. I am told that I can get a SS number for the child being 6 years old and not anywhere near ready to work, if I bring all original documents to the local IRS office. I'll try it and se if it works.

Thanks again for your reply.

Joe

Joe

Your last line confuses me. The IRS does not issue SSN's. Are you having these problems with the IRS or the SS administration? Or both?

K-2s and K-4s to my knowledge, are not eligible for SSNs until they have a green card or EAD. I am not aware they make exceptions for 6 year olds, but maybe. Our youngest is 14 now, he was 13 when he arrived and he was not allowed a SSN until he got his green card. An SSN is not required to file taxes if you do so the old fashioned paper way and just write "pending" where it asks for the SSN. This will not work for electronic filing which must have a valid SSN for each dependent.

The problem I have encountered with inexperienced and untrained government workers (no fault of their own) is that they fail to admit they are untrained and inexperienced and just make up an answer (or choose one from a menu that doesn't fit the question) rather than ask for help. THAT is their own fault. It is an abject lesson in the difference between "ignorant" and "stupid"

Thank goodness for the resource of VJ or I would have been discouraged many times. I have given up on government cutomer service...post a question here and you get better answers in less time than waiting on hold.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.