LOSTGURL--SOPHIA

question: can somebody give me tip for driving

46 posts in this topic

Hi there! Parallel parking is only required if most of the parking spaces in your city (state) are for parallel. Here in our area (Springfield, MO) since we are surrounded with universities and hospitals, most parking are done parallel so it was required during my actual driving test. I thought it was hard to do but after watching this YouTube over and over again and memorizing the tips and techniques, I passed the parallel parking with no problem. I only practiced parallel on the day that I took the test. Husband was very impressed because he only made me do it 3 times (during practice) and got them all almost perfect. Watch this video carefully... remember the tips and then apply it during practice. I was even saying the tips out-loud while I was doing it. I was like, "Ok, I need to be parallel to the driver's seat of the car next to me... then crank the wheel hard... blah, blah, blah, yada-yada-yada..."

As for the actual driving test, mine only took 10 minutes. First, the examiner will check if you know your car and make you use your lights like turning the high beam/low beam, blinkers, wipers, horn, etc. While driving, he asked me to change lanes, turn right, turn left. And take note you need to remember your turn signals before you make your turns or change lanes. That's a key point. Practice your stopping since they are very, very ticky when it comes to that. You need to stop behind the solid white line, not over or beyond it. One mistake on this and your points will be deducted big time. They will also want to see whether you are using your peripheral view every now and then, and when you stopped on a stop sign, they expect you to look left and right (or vice versa) before you move on. I had to do downhill and uphill parking and I didn't have any problems with that because I have read it many times on the driver's manual. Reading it will really, really help, believe me.

Some driving examiners are very persnickity and strict, some will cut you some slacks. My first try was a failure because the ####### didn't like the fact that I had our dog at the back of my car. She picked on me after that and failed me outright. Husband almost filed a complaint about her but I told him not to. The second time was a charm. The examiner was very sweet and understanding. He even said it's nerve-wrecking to do it so he will give me considerations. And he did... and he passed me. I have been helping my husband with the driving and I like the back roads very much since I can take my time and cruise. The interstates can make me uptight because drivers are impatients and zooming like thunders. And also, you will always be next to big cargo trucks, which I hate so much. I also driving in the city because you don't have to drive fast with all the traffic. But you gotta be alert because every now and then, some cars will cut you off or pass you and it takes a split-second for you to react.

One of the things that my husband said is driving is a skill... Everyday, you will learn new things and it will always be a learning progress. He's been driving almost all his life and yet he still gets uptight especially on long trips.

Good luck to you and may you pass your test! :thumbs:

--Mae

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is driving test hard? esp. for a first timer like me..-- never experienced driving in Manila before..unfortunately the only thing i know is to drive forward.. nothing to do with parking parallel etc. i felt stupid>> any tips? or exam ? (F)

What kind of car do you drive? manual or automatic.

I have been driving here for the last 6 months. Any specific questions?

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I used to work at a driving school where they had adult lessons for about $30/lesson. Might be a good way of instilling confidence in yourself if you are having a tough time. Some of the instructors will tell you what sections you need to work on. Just like others said, practice is the best way to improve your abilities. Don't let big American trucks push youaround on the road!

I-129F Sent 2/2/2009

NOA1 2/18/2009

Touch 2/23/2009

NOA2 Approval Date 6/18/2009 (at Igor's List #167 when approved)

NOA2 Received 6/26/2009

Bwaaahahaha lol. Failed in driving test twice now here. My driving on the road is fine but everytime i took my test i always got nervous doing the parralel and failed it. Im going to take my 3rd test on Wednesday and i have to pass it now this time or else i have to wait for another 6 months to take another test again to get a license. It SUCK. We already waisted a lot of money in driving school so i beg to my husband to not put me in driving school anymore coz i really know how to drive now atleast... Just need to practice my parking that's all. So yesterday we practiced my driving in church parking lot and steel 3 cones out of our neighborhood side street. Nice. Not steel actually just borrowed it... and have to borrow it again soon coz have to practice again later. Hopefully cones still thre or else i be practicing again infront of the house using the garbage cans. It's very frustrating..

SzIKm4.png
4202e493-922b-4a14-a1b7-438a49a69f71_zps0b740bfd-4829-475c-92b2-ceedfc991843_zps

Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years.

Oh i forgot... practicing infront of our house with those garbage cans with my husband sitting on chair with his beer. Yelling "Keep going, Keep going " and STOP ! STOP ! STOP !

SzIKm4.png
4202e493-922b-4a14-a1b7-438a49a69f71_zps0b740bfd-4829-475c-92b2-ceedfc991843_zps

Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm so blessed and so lucky to passed the driving test for the first time when took it, and I'm very thankful to God . First of all...I prayed a lot and ask for Gods favor give me wisdom and guide me. I did not practice very often bec. my husband who taught me how to drive was so busy of his work, I practiced whenever he is available,One morning I thought to mysellf I need a reviewer or something to read to help me and give some tips how to drive safely to pass test at the same time .

And I found out one of the well known website (youtube), I found all the anwers to all of my question like "CA DMV-Top 10 Reasons for Failing the Driving Test" maybe the Lord guide me to this website Praise the Lord and another one is learn to avoid the crictical error during driving test, if you do.... one of those you are automatically failed so avoid it, You can do minor mistakes like I did and still you can pass the test, hope it helps and God Bless u

heres the website just click it

Good Luck :thumbs:

AOS JOURNEY

2007-05-07 (PM) Married

2007-05-09 AOS package sent

2007-05-10 AOS delivered to Chicago IL (day 1)

2007-05-15 NOA (not rcved in the mail) (day 6)

2007-06-01 Biometrics Notice in the Mail (day 23)

2007-06-27 Biometrics (day 49)

2007-06-20 Interview Notice Issued (day 42)

2007-06-23 Interview Notice in the Mail (day 45)

2007-08-10 Interview 10:00 am Sn Francisco (day 93) Approved

2007-08-21 Greencard received

Removal of Condition

2009-06-19 - sent

2009-06-25 - received

2009-06-26 - cheque cash

2009-07-17 - notice date

2009-08-14 - Biomentrics

2009-09-08 - Approved

2009-09-08 - 09-15 Card production ordered (email)(day 82)

2009-09-17 - Approval notice sent (email)

2009-09-19 - 10 year greencard received (w/wrong information)

2009-09-21 - I-90 sent

2009-11-04 - Card Production Order

2009-11-09 - Approval Notice received

2009-11-10 - Touched

1009-11-14 - Replacement 10 years greencard received (55 days)from filing expired 11/09/2019

I used to work at a driving school where they had adult lessons for about $30/lesson. Might be a good way of instilling confidence in yourself if you are having a tough time. Some of the instructors will tell you what sections you need to work on. Just like others said, practice is the best way to improve your abilities. Don't let big American trucks push youaround on the road!

I drive one of those "big american trucks". they need to be given respect. they outweigh a little car by by a whole lot. cannot stop quickly, or maneuver as quickly. IF YOU CRASH WITH ONE, YOU WILL LOSE!!!!!!!

Edited by john & jean

Filed: Timeline

I have completely totaled out at least 5 cars now during my many years behind the wheel. Did some awesome carnage to the cars/trucks but always managed to walk away in one piece and be able to check out the damage afterwards...

My favorite crash was the bread truck that I hit. I mashed up the front of my truck so bad that they had to use tools to get the door open so I could get out! I kept a small piece of that vehicle for a paperweight on my desk! :whistle::devil:

Thank god I never crashed my sportscar, lest I would have been really bummed out... :blink:

This is why when my honey arrives here and decides that she wants to learn to drive, I have already lined up a female friend of mine to teach her and help her. This girl has a perfect driving record and the patience of a saint... :dance:

With luck, My honey will learn quickly and soon be doing most all of the driving for our family. This is also good for they rest of YOU out there because it will get ME off the road except for a very few times a year when I take my sportscar out for it's 'dusting' and/or 'testing'!!! :devil:

The roads here should be much safer once my honey arrives and decides to learn to drive...

:innocent:

I have never driven in the Philippines but luckily for me, I had the best driving teacher in the world...my husband. I passed all the exams ( written and actual) the first time and I now drive 45 minutes one way to work. I love driving and the interstate doesn't bother me anymore. In fact I already drove and picked up my husband from the Tampa International Airport 3 times and I did well. The longest drive Ive done so far was for 6 hours, with my stepson in the car with me when we went to Panama City beach. We took the truck back which my stepdaughter borrowed for a week so when coming home, I had to follow my husband.

Tips that helped me a lot.

Be a defensive driver. Always check your rearview mirror when driving to see the traffic behind you and of course for ambulances and firetrucks so you have time to stop on the shoulder or change lanes if need be.

ALWAYS turn your head to check your blind spot before changing lanes and don't just rely on your side mirrors, especially when you are in heavy traffic.

Always follow the 3 second rule and don't get too close , no matter what.

Don't try beating the red light.

The only way to get good in driving is drive, drive and drive. The heavier the traffic , the better so your reflexes will get used to it.

I started driving by myself May last year and so far have not met any accident yet ( knock on wood).

Goodluck and be safe :)

Edited by jom

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Dear Lostgurl-sophia... You just have to be confident when driving... Its normal that you will be nervous at first but if you have the skills, you will know how to drive easily... You will learn driving quickly as in 2-3hours if you're willing and determined to learn... Important thing is focus on the road, rear and side mirrors... Good that you didn't drive here in the Phil.... Driving here in the Philippines is hard compared there... My fiancee told me that Phil driving is crazy,hehehe... Parang bangaan kung baga dito... Kasi walang traffic light especially in the province,hehe...

Goodluck on your lessons dear!!! You can make it... Take care

You're Gods' wonderful blessing... I'm so happy to be with my baby, dog eddie, mom and dog molly...

Extremely happy with my married life, but we're praying for a baby this 2010, so help us GOD....

4ovs9meo4h.png

14929003_bodyshot_300x400_1242397349429.gif

14929003_bodyshot_300x400_1242400100185.gif

automatic.. im watching youtube link you guys posted..its very helpful...K U D O S :thumbs: :thumbs:

1st read the driving manual.

Know the function of your car.

Know the road rules and signs.

Know the size of your car. Knowing this would help you escape any accidents.

Look before you do anything else. Defensive driving is the key.

If you hear/see an ambulance... stop. I had that experience here in AZ. I was making a left turn, then we suddenly noticed that there is an ambulance coming our way. Even though the light allowed me to make a full left turn, i had to stop in the middle of the road to allow the ambulance to pass by.

Practice making quick decision and stick with it. If you would press on break, press on break. if you want to speed up.. speed up. NO HESITATION.

Try to practice widening the things you could see on the side of your eyes. To practice, sit straight, look straight. Try to see and recognize all the things on both your sides without moving your eyes. This would help you widen your scanning while driving.

The trick in diagonal parking... if you feel that you are near to bumping another car but not really bumping it... more or less you have aligned your car in the middle of the parking area, just move forward

Hope this help.

I love driving here in the US coz i love SPEED. I always have to check that i'm within the speed limit. :bonk:

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
quick question friends.. if u fail the test how many test can u retake it or Attempts? and how much every fee for retake?>> (F)

You can take as many times as like. Some people go to the DMV everyday until they pass. I recommend not going until you feel that you can safely drive on the road by yourself. After that point you should be able to pass. Don't stress about it, you'll be fine. l

I-129F Sent 2/2/2009

NOA1 2/18/2009

Touch 2/23/2009

NOA2 Approval Date 6/18/2009 (at Igor's List #167 when approved)

NOA2 Received 6/26/2009

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.