SomedaySomehow

CFO ... wow

32 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you everyone for your replies ... I appreciate it very much.

Well I understand we might of put the horse before the cart ... however when she went to apply for her passport they told her she needed the CFO certificate first ... I now realize they will do this if you tell them the purpose of the passport is for a K1 Fiance Visa ... I feel like she has been penalized there for being honest to them of what the purpose of her documents are for ..

As to the certificate of singleness ... we don't have that here .. however I did find a application in the state I live that is called Letter/Certificate of Non Marriage ... which is basically the same thing ... it is a certified state stamped certificate stating there is no record of any marriage on file for myself ... that is the best document I could find for what they are asking of her and I ... I am also going to send a photo copy of my last years tax return showing status as single with this and my passport photo copies ... I think this should cover what they are asking for ... but who knows.

Met: November 05, 2008

Met in Cebu first time: March 27, 2009

Engaged: March 29, 2009

Filed K1 Fiance Visa : April 15, 2009

Fly to the US Finally: October 10, 2009

Married : November 07, 2009

Pregnant YAY : Baby due July 03, 2010 :)

File AOS/EAD/Travel: February 26, 2010

EAD/Travel approved: April 26, 2010

Our Baby Boy Born: June 24, 2010

AOS approved YAY! Green Card Received October 4, 2010

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya I am assuming they are asking for these documents from her because we do not yet have a approved visa ... we are just trying to take care of all this before the interview ... not to mention they wouldn't let her get her passport either without this CFO certificate ... sooo frustrating right now ... thanks for the reply

Not true that they wouldn't allow passport availment without the CFO certificate. Getting a passport is a different matter altogether. I have sent you a message. Check it.

Actually, higherground is correct. CFO is only needed when the person applying is already married to a foreigner.

Thank you everyone for your replies ... I appreciate it very much.

Well I understand we might of put the horse before the cart ... however when she went to apply for her passport they told her she needed the CFO certificate first ... I now realize they will do this if you tell them the purpose of the passport is for a K1 Fiance Visa ... I feel like she has been penalized there for being honest to them of what the purpose of her documents are for ..

As to the certificate of singleness ... we don't have that here .. however I did find a application in the state I live that is called Letter/Certificate of Non Marriage ... which is basically the same thing ... it is a certified state stamped certificate stating there is no record of any marriage on file for myself ... that is the best document I could find for what they are asking of her and I ... I am also going to send a photo copy of my last years tax return showing status as single with this and my passport photo copies ... I think this should cover what they are asking for ... but who knows.

No no, not penalized. Different people interpret k1 as spouse visa. I'm sure even the DFA personel are not well versed in US visa types. So they probably thought she was married to you already.

Passport number must NOT be blacked out... they need this to verify your identity.

I've never been asked for certificae of singleness but was asked for divorce papers of my husband.

Good luck, don't stress too much. Just give them what they want.. if they won't. Just tell them you will provide everything else once she receives the visa because she's coming back for the sticker anyway. I did that for the divorce paper of my husband and they agreed to issue the certificate to me.

Filed: Timeline
Ya I am assuming they are asking for these documents from her because we do not yet have a approved visa ... we are just trying to take care of all this before the interview ... not to mention they wouldn't let her get her passport either without this CFO certificate ... sooo frustrating right now ... thanks for the reply

Not true that they wouldn't allow passport availment without the CFO certificate. Getting a passport is a different matter altogether. I have sent you a message. Check it.

Actually, higherground is correct. CFO is only needed when the person applying is already married to a foreigner.

Here's what I know, DFA would request CFO certificate for those person married to a foreigner and non-married individuals who have an intention of acquiring visa. For some people, when DFA asked them the purpose of the passport, they simply answered for travel hence DFA does not ask for the CFO certificate

when i had my seminar in cebu there was a lady who attended the seminar because dfa told her to do so before she can get a passport...because when she told them that shes getting a passport for k1 visa.

when i got my passport they didnt require me to attend seminar anymore since i live in davao and seminar is only in cebu or manila...though we have cfo davao but its so useless i wish cfo davao will be closed its just a waste of money having them. thank you.

Filed: Timeline

Here's what I know, DFA would request CFO certificate for those person married to a foreigner and non-married individuals who have an intention of acquiring visa. For some people, when DFA asked them the purpose of the passport, they simply answered for travel hence DFA does not ask for the CFO certificate

that made sense....

Someday, tell your fiancee to fill up another form at DFA and put purpose of travel as tourism and destination as hong kong. Requirements will be much simpler if your fiancee does not mention that she is migrating or marrying a foreign national. CFO certificate, copy of your passport and cert of singleness will not be required anymore.

Someday, tell your fiancee to fill up another form at DFA and put purpose of travel as tourism and destination as hong kong. Requirements will be much simpler if your fiancee does not mention that she is migrating or marrying a foreign national. CFO certificate, copy of your passport and cert of singleness will not be required anymore.

:thumbs:

so true!

Citizenship N-400

4/15/2010- sent my N-400 via fedex overnight

4/16/2010- signed and delivered

4/29/2010- check cleared

Timeline

Yup we realize this now hehe ... too late for her and I now .. so now we are stuck in the process of getting penalized ( it seems like ) for being honest to her purposes .... not really much we can do now other than get the documents they want.

Thanks everyone for the reply's

This is exactly what i did when i had passport renewal:thumbs:

Edited by maritoni

3561055465_7e32541543_m.jpg3561659436_e8b5cc66fc_m.jpg

"Our Wedding Prayer"

Lord,help us to remember when we first met,and the strong love that grew between us.

To work the love into practical things so nothing can divide us

Grant us a Love that grows stronger with each passing year.

We ask for words both kind and loving

and for hearts always ready to ask forgiveness as well as to forgive.

Guide us to overcome every challenge

and keep our dreams pure to each other always.

Dear Lord,we put our marriage into Your hands.Amen

If your heart acquires strength, you will be able to remove blemishes from others without thinking evil of them.

ate sa NAIA before ka mag board ng plane mo meron dun NAIA personnel mag check ng passport mo tinitingnan kung anong visa mo then pag k1 or immigrant ka hanapin ung brown envelope mo from embassy they make sure kase na hand carry mo un at ung passport mo hanapin yung stamp kaya wla parin kawala

03.14.2011 -------I-751 sent overnight

03.15.2011 -------package says "Delivered"

03.30.2011 -------ASC Appointment Notice Received

04.22.2011 -------Biometrics Appointment

08.29.2011--------APPROVED! GC RECEIVED!

I'm the wife of an American Soldier;

I'm the hope that lives within him after storm clouded days.

The freedom from war that gives wings to his heart,

May they reach across the miles and bind our hearts together

against all that we must face in this world.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Got a place for you to get that singleness requirement taken care of.

I heard about that reqiuirement too so found out where you can get a document to fill that bill.

Go to the same place in your area that issues marrage lcenses. Just ask the clerk there for a search with your name for any issued licenses. then he or she will give you a document that has a raised state or local seal on it with a signature stating you are single as far as they are concerened.

ANd yes of course the US government knows your single and is a wasted requirement but is the catholic church that wants additional proof. Is a pain but will work for that requirement.

Hope this helps you out

Time Line:

Met on-line: April 2006

First meeting: July 2006 Broacy great time. rained but so memorable

Second Meeting: March 2007 Met Family and friends 2 weeks time flue by

Third Meeting: October 2007 met friends and more family

Forth Meeting: October 2008 Engaged were it started Boracay 2 weeks in heaven

Petition sent in: May 5th postal over night with postal money order

Signed for at CSC: May 6th

Contacted USCS not received NOA1: June 12th. Got Receit number NOA! receipt sent to wrong address Corrected Stated NOA1 date said to be by contacted agent as 6 May

Touched: 31May for returned NOA1

Touched: 18 June asume to correct address

Touched: 07July Move from desk to desk. no change of status

NOA2: 12 Aug Sweet got e-mail notification of status changed to aproved!!

NOA2: 18 Aug Hard Copy arrived via snail mail yeepeee

NVC: 24 August received NVC stating fowarded to embasy petitioner will be contacted within week for instructions.

Embasy Letter: 4 September

Medical: 05/06 Ootober Passed..Yeepeee!

Interview 19 Octoober ...:::) Passed!!!!!!

Visa Dilivered: 22nd October Sweeeeeeet

POE: 29th Seattle then little flight to Spokane Yeeepeee my partner is home!!

Married: November 30th 2009 Journey complete!

ate sa NAIA before ka mag board ng plane mo meron dun NAIA personnel mag check ng passport mo tinitingnan kung anong visa mo then pag k1 or immigrant ka hanapin ung brown envelope mo from embassy they make sure kase na hand carry mo un at ung passport mo hanapin yung stamp kaya wla parin kawala

That's true what you said Dianne na walang kawala sa CFO but the CFO stamp can be obtained after the passport is released. less lang ang requirements if it's not mentioned during passport application that she is marrying a foreign national or migrating. If visa is not stamped yet, CFO becomes the "first line of defense" so to speak.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Good news and update to this thread I made .... I just talked to my amazing Fiance ... and this time they issued the CFO certificate after sending the copy of my passport and a letter of non marriage ... happy happy now :)

Now onto the next stage that has been hard ... getting the passport ... we are waiting for her TIN Card which she should receive in about a week or so ... and that should fullfill what the DFA wanted when she tried to get her passport last week .. they asked for the CFO certificate and another Valid ID ...

Wish us luck !

I feel this CFO and Passport has been more of a pain and harder than the actual US embassy interview and medical will be hehe

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.