angela920

My life here in the USA

33 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello visajourney people! I have not been online for a while because I am busy with my work and paying some bills! uh tell me about it! I just want to share I am so happy because I passed my behind-the-wheel test here in California. Well, barely passed! hehe I had a lot of minor mistakes. It only took 2 weeks and I got the driver's license card. Now I can drive alone but the thing is.. I need to save up for another car. :whistle:

I'm currently working as a part time-regular in a retail store and I would like to get more income. Do you know any legit home based job? As I have never encountered anything. It is so hard to find a job nowadays that will pay more than the minimum. I feel so stuck, depressed and helpless because I really want to study but since our bills are so high especially the credit cards, I didn't have a choice but to work and help my husband earn. We both are working so hard to make the ends meet. He told me that we are still lucky compared to other people and that i should be thankful that I have a good job.

We are broke right now because of the credit cards issue. I need advice on what to do with them? 2 of our 4 credit cards are closed.. i think when you enroll to their program it will show as you close it instead of them closing it. Now I feel like i don't want to get a credit card here.. I have never had any, but they say you need it to have a credit score? Should i get one?!

Thank you!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Credit card debt is a big problem for many people in the States. Generally it's the interest rates that make it impossible to pay your cards off if you can only afford to make the minimum monthly payment. You may want to consider a considation loan to get those cards payed off and under no circumstances should you apply for another credit card at this point. Concentrate on getting your outstanding debt payed off first before considering getting a card of your own. Every time you apply for any kind of credit it is sent to all three major credit bureaus in the United States. Just applying can have a negative impact on your over all credit score.

IT'S NOT THE DESTINATION ITS THE JOURNEY...AND WHAT A JOURNEY IT HAS BEEN

Filed: Timeline
Hello visajourney people! I have not been online for a while because I am busy with my work and paying some bills! uh tell me about it! I just want to share I am so happy because I passed my behind-the-wheel test here in California. Well, barely passed! hehe I had a lot of minor mistakes. It only took 2 weeks and I got the driver's license card. Now I can drive alone but the thing is.. I need to save up for another car. :whistle:

I'm currently working as a part time-regular in a retail store and I would like to get more income. Do you know any legit home based job? As I have never encountered anything. It is so hard to find a job nowadays that will pay more than the minimum. I feel so stuck, depressed and helpless because I really want to study but since our bills are so high especially the credit cards, I didn't have a choice but to work and help my husband earn. We both are working so hard to make the ends meet. He told me that we are still lucky compared to other people and that i should be thankful that I have a good job.

We are broke right now because of the credit cards issue. I need advice on what to do with them? 2 of our 4 credit cards are closed.. i think when you enroll to their program it will show as you close it instead of them closing it. Now I feel like i don't want to get a credit card here.. I have never had any, but they say you need it to have a credit score? Should i get one?!

Thank you!

congrats for passing your behind-the-wheel test!!!! :dance: :dance:

you can always start for a secured credit card for starters.

Thank you!

same here! unemployed :crying: hehehe... been looking for a part-time and or full-time if they prefer full-time... as for the home base, try to be careful who to trust coz a lot of scammers out there inviting you to work at home etc. though i did work at home before as a home agent (like a home base call center)... pays 8.50-9.00 but i quit coz i couldnt handle irate customers... you can try it though if that helps.

as for credit cards, yes its good to have one, to build your credit though only use it to buy food and gas (if necessary, just use it for important things) that way your card is active and you can fully pay it right away every month. wish you luck :thumbs:

p.s

you're not the only one who's broke! hehehe. me too

Citizenship N-400

4/15/2010- sent my N-400 via fedex overnight

4/16/2010- signed and delivered

4/29/2010- check cleared

Timeline
Credit card debt is a big problem for many people in the States. Generally it's the interest rates that make it impossible to pay your cards off if you can only afford to make the minimum monthly payment. You may want to consider a considation loan to get those cards payed off and under no circumstances should you apply for another credit card at this point. Concentrate on getting your outstanding debt payed off first before considering getting a card of your own. Every time you apply for any kind of credit it is sent to all three major credit bureaus in the United States. Just applying can have a negative impact on your over all credit score.

make it look like a loan? I think they offered us that but it also means that the credit cards will be close by us when we paid it all off lets say for 60months. We have been paying a lot of past dues right now. I have been stressed lately.. even though its my husbands but still I help him with the bills. All of my salaries every 2 weeks just go to the credit card dues whew :help: It's such a pain in the ####. Our american express and Chase credit cards are close and we are paying it like a loan so once we paid all the debts it will be closed. I am trying to save the bank of america and the citibank though...sigh.

Just wondering if you enroll to their program will it affect your credit score? They told me it wont because once its all paid off it will show as WE close it, not them. I have never had a credit card so mine should be just neutral?

My solution was to make extra payments on the higher interest rate card. When that card was payed off, the money went to the next card. It is not easy, but a good way to learn about money management. After this I only used the credit card to make purchases I could pay off in a month. This allows credit for emergencies.

I added my wife to one of my credit cards to get her a credit history. This lowered my credit score as closing credit cards did for your spouse. Close the cards if the temptation to use them is too much.

Search jean chatzky on google as she has many great budgeting tips.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

make it look like a loan? I think they offered us that but it also means that the credit cards will be close by us when we paid it all off lets say for 60months. We have been paying a lot of past dues right now. I have been stressed lately.. even though its my husbands but still I help him with the bills. All of my salaries every 2 weeks just go to the credit card dues whew :help: It's such a pain in the ####. Our american express and Chase credit cards are close and we are paying it like a loan so once we paid all the debts it will be closed. I am trying to save the bank of america and the citibank though...sigh.

Just wondering if you enroll to their program will it affect your credit score? They told me it wont because once its all paid off it will show as WE close it, not them. I have never had a credit card so mine should be just neutral?

try using the secured credit card, how it works is the amount that you opened for a secured credit card is the only amount that you can spend. bank of america has one, but it has annual fee, look for secured credit card that doesn't have hidden fees. This is if you want to build a credit history.

Timeline

I think you are misunderstanding Melissa. You have to go to your bank and apply for a consolidation loan. You can get a loan to pay off all of your outstanding debt at a much much lower interst rate than what the credit card companies are going to offer you.

Timeline
My solution was to make extra payments on the higher interest rate card. When that card was payed off, the money went to the next card. It is not easy, but a good way to learn about money management. After this I only used the credit card to make purchases I could pay off in a month. This allows credit for emergencies.

I added my wife to one of my credit cards to get her a credit history. This lowered my credit score as closing credit cards did for your spouse. Close the cards if the temptation to use them is too much.

Oh so if you add your wife like an extension she'll have a credit history? Coz my husband added me even before we got married so my card is under my maiden name. So if all else fails...like let say that card which i have my name on as an extension got submitted to collections department. IT would also affect me? even though it's my husband was bf who submitted it? Is that how it works here?

Then we better save that card then. I don't want to have a bad credit score even before I start.

Timeline

I think you are misunderstanding Melissa. You have to go to your bank and apply for a consolidation loan. You can get a loan to pay off all of your outstanding debt at a much much lower interst rate than what the credit card companies are going to offer you.

Ohh i see! i never thought that's possible. I will try to talk to my husband about it then. Thank you so much!

Timeline

try using the secured credit card, how it works is the amount that you opened for a secured credit card is the only amount that you can spend. bank of america has one, but it has annual fee, look for secured credit card that doesn't have hidden fees. This is if you want to build a credit history.

That's not a bad idea. Building a solid credit history is very important and isn't always easy to acheive if you have no credit history. It takes time Melissa to build a solid credit history but it can be done but I implore you..Get rid of as many of those credit cards as you can and keep one for emergency purposes. Good luck to you guys. Mike

Timeline

Ohh i see! i never thought that's possible. I will try to talk to my husband about it then. Thank you so much!

You are very welcome. I am not a loan officer. I am a College guidance counselor but if you want some ideas on how you may be able to go back to school and get it paid for just send me a message or email and I will explain some possible options that may be available to you. Hang in there. I think you have the potential for a bright future. Mike

Timeline

Good advice!

That's not a bad idea. Building a solid credit history is very important and isn't always easy to acheive if you have no credit history. It takes time Melissa to build a solid credit history but it can be done but I implore you..Get rid of as many of those credit cards as you can and keep one for emergency purposes. Good luck to you guys. Mike

My hubby didn't make an extension card for me because he is afraid that I might be tempted to spend more than I can pay. So we did this secured credit card, you don't need a credit history on this nor an excellent or good credit score. Let's say you opened for a $300 secured credit card and that's the only amount you can spend and everytime you use it, they will also send you a monthly bill, and you can build your credit history.

but still you are right, pay off all the credit cards first before starting another one.... :)

Thank you!

Melissa,

For your credit card issue, i would suggest that you pay them as soon as possible. Try to buy only the necessary items for few months until you are able to pay all your credit card debts. Maximize the coupon and sale items of different stores.

Then try to have a savings equal to your 8 months expenses.

Try not to close credit card all at once. Closing them would affect your credit score. Try to assign one utility bill for each credit card to keep them open. let say, water bill for one credit card, and electirc bill to another and the remaining credit card would be for groceries.

Always pay on time, pay 100% or more of what you owe.

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.