Matt & Jovy

Traditional Filipino wedding or American wedding?

34 posts in this topic

im still waiting to be wed and i like it to be simple. with the current economic crisis, i choose to be practical. nothing fancy, just simple and practical.

N-400 Application for Naturalization

September 21, 2012 - N-400 packet sent
September 24, 2012 - Check cashed
September 26, 2012 - NOA 1 received
October 01, 2012 - Biometrics letter received
October 26, 2012 - Biometrics appt @ 11am
March 1, 2013 - Oathtaking. US citizen finally!!!

"You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly."

wgto58qj1o5xq.png

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Haha! Thank you for your honest opinion. I really don`t think lots of white guys would want to wear Barong Tagalog or any foreign formal attire. Actually, I haven`t seen my fiance wearing a Barong Tagalog. Maybe when he gets here for my interview, I`ll ask him to try one. I`am not sure though if he`ll look stupid wearing it because he`s a bit look like a Fil-Am. Lots of my friends who`d seen his pictures thought he`s a Fil-Am. He has really dark brown hair (almost black), a bit of tan complexion (he likes scuba diving lots!), he`s not so tall but just average. Anyway, he agreed wearing it in the reception so it`s ok with me.

When I get there, I want a garden wedding. I am thinking maybe we could have a combination of both but I guess it will be difficult since most of our guest are Americans and will not have a priest wedding. Anyway, I want it in spring season around April or May next year. I wish my babe could wear a traditional Barong Tagalog (Filipino formal shirt) but I dont think he will be happy wearing it during the ceremony but he agreed that he will wear it during the reception. My mother in-law, sister in-law and my new friend Bonna will help me preparing for it.

To all the Filipina fiancee here, please share your wedding ideas and to all those who are already married to their partners please share too your wedding experiences... any observations would be neat too!

White guys or anyone other than Filipinos look stupid in those shirts, just FYI. I'd never wear one for I really want to look like me at my wedding rather than a white guy in a costume. Just another opinion. I think people should be who they really are, especially at their wedding and those at the wedding should understand that white guys don't belong in "traditional" Barong Tagalog, because it is NOT their tradition and should not be forced on them.

well if you think it would look stupid, then it would look stupid.

Met online (YM): 2003-07-31

First time we met in person (NAIA): 2007-08-23

2nd visit here in Phil: 2007-11-16

3rd visit here in Phil: 2007-12-28

4th visit here in Phil: 2008-11-09

Got engaged (El Nido, Palawan): 2008-11-16

5th visit here in Phil: 2008-12-29

Last time we saw each other: 2009-01-04

I-129F Sent: 2009-03-07

I-129F NOA1: 2009-03-12

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-06-29

NVC received : 2009-07-06

Stuck at NVC for 29 days

Left NVC: 2009-08-05

Embassy received: 2009-08-10

Medical Exam : 2009-08-25/27 PASSED

6th visit here in Phil: 2009-09-19

Interview : 2009-09-22 PASSED

CFO Seminar : 2009-10-02

Flight : 2009-10-23

Married : 2009-11-06

Applied for AOS, EAD and travel permit: 2009-12-09

Biometric schedule: 2010-01-21

Timeline

We are planning to throw a party for my family and friends here too in the Philippines since we will have our wedding ceremony there. I just hope my mom and brother could get a visa so they can attend my wedding there next year. Wonder if it will be difficult for my mom and brother to get a visa for my wedding?

We are going to throw a going away type party for her before she leaves the RP. The priest is going to come and give us his blessing for our travels. I am not Catholic, but I guess its better than nothing. We even considered doing an unofficial wedding ceremony where the priest goes through the motions but doesn't officially record the marriage in the RP. Decided it is just too risky, because I am afraid they will ask her at the POE if we are already married? I don't want her to have to lie. Also the priest wasn't real big on the idea since I am Baptist. I really wanted her parents to be able to experience their daughters marriage, but a party will have to make do. Also I didn't want her to have regrets someday that she didn't have a wedding. We plan on returning to the RP as soon as she gets her green card, but she might be big and pregnant by then God willing. So a ceremony then would look kind of silly. When she arrives here I am going to get my local preacher to give us a private ceremony with my parents present. The most important thing to us is a Christian ceremony.

Stuck at NVC for 29 days

Timeline
When I get there, I want a garden wedding. I am thinking maybe we could have a combination of both but I guess it will be difficult since most of our guest are Americans and will not have a priest wedding. Anyway, I want it in spring season around April or May next year. I wish my babe could wear a traditional Barong Tagalog (Filipino formal shirt) but I dont think he will be happy wearing it during the ceremony but he agreed that he will wear it during the reception. My mother in-law, sister in-law and my new friend Bonna will help me preparing for it.

To all the Filipina fiancee here, please share your wedding ideas and to all those who are already married to their partners please share too your wedding experiences... any observations would be neat too!

White guys or anyone other than Filipinos look stupid in those shirts, just FYI. I'd never wear one for I really want to look like me at my wedding rather than a white guy in a costume. Just another opinion. I think people should be who they really are, especially at their wedding and those at the wedding should understand that white guys don't belong in "traditional" Barong Tagalog, because it is NOT their tradition and should not be forced on them.

Just a comment. I don't think you would look stupid. I do agree of not forcing your man to wear those, but if he likes to why not. What is important is the respect you have for each other and that includes your preferences ;-)

We do have the same plan actually but very risky and also, don't like to lie :-( My plan gurl is to buy all things necessary for the wedding that are known to be more than double the cost in the US like Wedding Gown,Rings and the Give-aways.. nice to have something native to give as remembrances to your guests.

Good Luck to us!! plan to have our wedding in March, so excited!

01/26/09 : Application Received

04/30/09 : Application Approved

05/04/09 : NOA2 Received

05/23/09 : Letter from embassy Received

07/13/09 : Medical Exam @ St Luke

07/30/09 : Interview Schedule

08/04/09 : Visa Received

12/09/09 : Husband's Arrival in the Philippines

12/19/09 : Pre-nuptial Banquet in the Philippines

01/06/10 : Flight to US with my husband

01/07/10 : US Arrival , Chicago as POE

03/18/10 : Wedding Day!!!! :-)

07/12/10 : Medical Exam by US Civil Surgeon

08/18/10 : Day 1 Sent AOS Package

08/21/10 : Day 3 AOS Package Received by USCIS Chicago LockBox

08/31/10 : Day 13 Check Cashed

09/07/10 : Day 20 Received Biometrics Appointment

09/22/10 : Day 35 Biometrics Schedule

09/23/10 : Day 36 AOS and EAD touched :-)

09/27/10 : Day 40 Received Transfer Notice

10/18/10 : Day 61 EAD Card Production and Travel Document approved

10/25/10 : Day 68 EAD Card Received

11/08/10 : Day 82 PR Card Received Validity 10/25/10-10/25/12 :-)

nothing extravagant for us either. a simple solemn civil wedding is what we both want. we'll have a family reception (his side) in september when we have the annual family gathering at myrtle beach and family reception (my side) when we come back home in PI next year.

are you allowed to come back to PI after 1 year if you entered as K1? I thought you have to wait around 2 years before you can travel outside US... just wondering

Just a comment. I don't think you would look stupid. I do agree of not forcing your man to wear those, but if he likes to why not. What is important is the respect you have for each other and that includes your preferences ;-)

We do have the same plan actually but very risky and also, don't like to lie :-( My plan gurl is to buy all things necessary for the wedding that are known to be more than double the cost in the US like Wedding Gown,Rings and the Give-aways.. nice to have something native to give as remembrances to your guests.

Good Luck to us!! plan to have our wedding in March, so excited!

Go to Ongpin (Chinatown) in Manila for Wedding rings they have great selection and some would even do customization at a good price.

For giveaways, I've seen one whole street of giveaways in Divisoria.. they can customize for you too.

nothing extravagant for us either. a simple solemn civil wedding is what we both want. we'll have a family reception (his side) in september when we have the annual family gathering at myrtle beach and family reception (my side) when we come back home in PI next year.

are you allowed to come back to PI after 1 year if you entered as K1? I thought you have to wait around 2 years before you can travel outside US... just wondering

As long as you have the green card, you can come back to the Philippines anytime.

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, I just had my spring wedding last May23rd on a Catholic church here in NY. On my wedding we combined the American and Filipino traditions (My wedding was quite big and fancy coz both of our families are here in US). We had 2 priest, one filipino (our family friend) and one american (our parish priest). With the Filipino tradition, we had the veil, cord and coins and for the american we did the candle.

The Filipino priest blessed the cord, veil and coins while the american priest blessed our rings.

It is just a wedding ceremony so we we're amazed that our priests was able to put all together in 45 mins to an hour (if i can remember, lol)

We had our reception on a beautiful by the water restaurant. Foods are great and my table setting was very pretty. Im actually the one who did my table numbers and wish box. (I want my wedding to be very us, which turned out really great!)

Our invitations, wedding favor and favor bags are very pinoy yet elegant. We all had it done in the Philippines. Our favors was dried mangoes (which is a real hit!) So if ur thinking of a good favor dried mangoes will be the best plus it is cheaper there in the Philippines than in the Filipino stores here.

For the gifts that we gave our wedding party at the rehearsal dinner. I gave my girls, mom's, grandmom's a set of swarovski necklace and earrings (which i bought in the Philippines too), And for the men, dad's and grandpa we gave them beer mugs and coffee mugs with their names engraved on it (We bought it at Things remembered here in US).

For our wedding rings, we bought it here in Jarred. Hehe;p quality diamonds if u want one on your wedding bands.;)

We didn't had a barong. My hubby wants to wear tux which is I like more though coz it looks more formal and elegant (For me!:))

What I would suggest is, you should make a wedding registry and have a wedding shower too so that you and hubby could really enjoy your wedding preparations. If you can spend $$$ for your wedding do it! Its just once in your lifetime. Plus, people here often give money as a gift for wedding which is good becoz most of them will give you appliances at your shower.

I want to get married too in the Philippines. Maybe in a few years, but with a different theme since I already had a church wedding here.;)

Just message me if you need some help with wedding planning. Im not a pro but I can give you some ideas about the weddings here in US. They have lots of parties which is a little different from Philippines. And also, if you are planning to have a church wedding you better schedule it now so as the reception. Church should be book 6 months before the wedding. Plus, April-July are wedding months here so reception halls, photography, video and flowers gets full book early. Actually what we did was while we were waiting for my k1 approval, we already searched for everything and tried to reserve a date. In that way, you will not be rushed and you will have the wedding that you really wanted.;) Goodluck and Happy Planning!

Edited by mikeandjoana

Mike_Jo-185.jpg032_32.jpgedit-3.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------

03/05/2010 ----- Greencard arrived in mail

03/15/2010 ----- Got a job as an RN! finally.:)

REMINDER: November 22, 2011 (Removing Conditons)

I wanted a garden wedding and Joe gave it to me. My husband has a second home in a 12 acre secluded land in Bonifay, FL ( 5 hour drive from where we live now ) that used to be his deceased parents' home. I fell in love with it. It was simple with the attendance of family members and closest friends. I walked down a grapevine arbor with Lea Salonga's I DO song playing and it was just perfect. Our official photographer was my sister-in-law who has great passion for taking pictures. Our invitation and giveaways were made in the Philippines and I brought them on my trip here. We had 3 gazebos and bonfire for our reception and after that a night paintball war. It was fun.

For our honeymoon, we rented a houseboat and spend 4 days and three night exploring St. John's river..we got lost, got stuck :) but it was fun.

Hereunder is one of the many nice pictures my sister-in-law took.

Goodluck!

JoeandMylasWedding121.jpg

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

Timeline
I wanted a garden wedding and Joe gave it to me. My husband has a second home in a 12 acre secluded land in Bonifay, FL ( 5 hour drive from where we live now ) that used to be his deceased parents' home. I fell in love with it. It was simple with the attendance of family members and closest friends. I walked down a grapevine arbor with Lea Salonga's I DO song playing and it was just perfect. Our official photographer was my sister-in-law who has great passion for taking pictures. Our invitation and giveaways were made in the Philippines and I brought them on my trip here. We had 3 gazebos and bonfire for our reception and after that a night paintball war. It was fun.

For our honeymoon, we rented a houseboat and spend 4 days and three night exploring St. John's river..we got lost, got stuck :) but it was fun.

Hereunder is one of the many nice pictures my sister-in-law took.

Goodluck!

WOW!!!! Very nice story!

Edited by DEDixon

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

we married in big church with all our family. first time is the last time for me n her to marry so we did it nice size wedding in philippines.

it is lot cheaper in philippines than usa. I loved our wedding in philippines.

abby n sheryl

Our time line for CR1 visa took only 5 months and 1 week or 156 days; from the filing the I-130 on the 03-12-2009 to Approval of NOA2 on the 05/13/2009, then Interview on the 08/18/2009 at Manila, Philippines. We had a daughter on the 11-12-2010 named AISHA JOY means HAPPY LIFE.a1_opt-1.jpga2_opt-1.jpga3_opt-1.jpg

Timeline

I will be having my wedding here in US this coming August. My wedding would be infusion of Filipiniana and western. I am going to wear Filipiniana gown and my fiance will wear Barong. We're both Catholic, so we will have church wedding. I've got all my wedding stuff from the Philippines. My gown, barong, wedding invitations, souvenirs, and other wedding stuff for the ceremony. It cost me roughly, 1000usd. I've started doing such preparation 2 months before I came here. Then, my fiance and his mom started to have some sort of other preparation like reception, flowers, cakes and DJs. Then, I got it all finalized when I got here (because they just look around but the decision of choosing for my wedding is from me). We will have 90 guests. All in all, it cost us roughly 7000usd. We're almost done now with the preparation except for the DJ.

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

Timeline

Magandang umaga! Thanks for all the tips! :thumbs: My fiance and I will read all the replies again this weekend and we`ll decide what to do next. Maybe we`ll start making a guests list and look for the shops here in the PI where we could buy souvenirs, Barong Tagalog (for him..hehe), and other things.

Hope others will give more tips, wedding ideas/experiences, type of wedding and estimate budget (depending on number of guests). Also, please share wedding pictures too. It is so nice to see Am-Fil couples during their weddings. I just can`t wait for my wedding! :)

Stuck at NVC for 29 days

Timeline
Magandang umaga! Thanks for all the tips! :thumbs: My fiance and I will read all the replies again this weekend and we`ll decide what to do next. Maybe we`ll start making a guests list and look for the shops here in the PI where we could buy souvenirs, Barong Tagalog (for him..hehe), and other things.

Hope others will give more tips, wedding ideas/experiences, type of wedding and estimate budget (depending on number of guests). Also, please share wedding pictures too. It is so nice to see Am-Fil couples during their weddings. I just can`t wait for my wedding!

:)

As what I see in your timeline, you might get your NOA2 somewhere in August (estimates). If you want to buy most of your wedding stuff there in the Philippines, better plan it now, or your time will be tight. Some of the shops there require 1 or 2 months of processing. Start for your entourage if you want your invitations printed there.

Then, have your fiance take a look now for the church, reception, cakes, flowers and other stuff that you might need from here, so you can get good deal.

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

ok sis, congrats with your upcoming wedding..eto ginawa namin.,..determined ilan ang bisita mo.. i had 60ish visitors.. we had a free officiant as a gift to us not a pastor but a judge.

sis mahabahaba ito ha? have patience. kung me tanongka po ok lang reply lang ha?

kami lang dalwa ni mike nagasikaso ng kasal namin kaya kahit na maliit lang talang maligaya ako sa araw na iyun.

once we knew sino gusto namin umattend, we sent the invitation ideally 4-6 weeks before the wedding.. so kahit na pinas pa ko, si mike (now my husband) tingin tingin siya ng mga designs na mura pero maganda naman we had our invitations kasama na TY card sa mall.. pero mas makakamura kung gagawin nalang ni hubby mo or ikaw sa walmart there are invitation na blank i print nalang with your colors (wedding theme). Mine is ranging from hotpink to red so red nalang iyung font,.

Ginawa namin sa isang restaurant na meron function halls overlooking the valley its called THE CASTAWAYS (http://www.castawayrestaurant.com/burbank/index.html) mura lang kung maaga ang booking yan ang una then mag pareserve ka ng kulang sa expected mo kasi pag sobra sa expecxted guests ( you wil have to pay for the extra guests that you have reserved) where as kung kulang pedi namang hainan iyung extra .

make sure to rsvp sa Restaurant para alam kung ilan aattend.,bago pala namin na ipabook iyun marami muna silang pinuntahan parang canvass ba taps sne dmpicture sakin(parang auditor lang ako na taga pirma kasi wala pa akong magawa) so iyun nung nakita ko castaways, ang MOH ko ang nagrecommend e gahul na sa oras sabi ko sige go nalang. (it ended up maganda naman iyung place) kasama na pala sa package iyung cake so meron silang list na cake places na pede naming puntahan. so iyung

si mike pala ayaw niya ng barong tagalog ewan parang timang.. eehehe choose your entourage wisely.. sakin 3 bridesmaid isang MOH ko na sister ni mike tapos 3 grooms men at 1 na bestfriend ni mike na best man. mga bridesmaid ko mga pinsan ko.. ask for help. (inlaws, friends ng boylet) heheheh.. san kaba sis? kung dito ka banda amin help kita..

bago din ako nagpunta dito, nakapagresearch nakami ng mga dj, florals, wedding gown, giveaways. hair and make up ng lola mo.. mga listahan ng suppliers namin galing ng castaways..,

so pag dating ko dito, appointment ng appointment.. dapat me budget ka kung magkano pupunta sa dj, giveaway, hair and make

DJ Ko, pnaka 3 akong appointment, recommended ng florist ko name niya adel stein.. mura lang kasi budgeted cut na namin iyung service niya instead na buong ceremony at reception, reception nalang kasi sa ceremony uncle and anti ko na ang umawit..

Florist ko, naka siguro akong florist,, punta kami glendalew kasi maramingn armenian na florist pero pucha parang niloloko ako.. so nung pagawa ako ng cake merong mga post cards na supplier yung patissiere namin.. e malapit lang sa shop niya.. sabi ko ke mike tara puntahan na natin tumwag mun ako kahit na walang appointment pinapunta niya ako so maganda na ang vibes ko sakanya kasi mabait.. tapos tinapat ko siya i told him ito lang budget ko sabi niya siya na bahala.. ako pili kulay at bulaklak.. ay mare.. pinahanga niya ako.. makipagtawaran ke from centerpieces, buttoniers, bouquet, runner mo.. meron din pala akong arko so iyun lang highlight ng ceremony kasi napaka ganda..http://www.flowersbydan.com/

wedding gown ko sis, regalo na sakin ng mother in law ko, mura lang din sa davids bridal http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/sto...catalogId=10051 nakasale iyung binili ko ..(the reason why hindi ako bumili sa pinas kasi ayoko ng abala at the same time papadala ko pa ng cargo baka kung anong mangyari (praning lang namn ako))

sa giveaways sis, hindi nako bumili sa pinas or dito i made it myself.. unang una, hindi kasya sa luggage ko. heheeh pangalwa nasabi ko na ayoko ng aabala.. what i did sa walmart pagdating mo dito merong mga wedding boxes na plastic i didmy colors whcih is red i combined some silver lace sa loob ng box mga chocolates pero ang balot pix namin ni mike.. http://www.friendster.com/photos/5824022/1/744491424

(hersheys, tapos print mo kahit thru word doc ng sepia/or black and white the paste /gluegun sa wrapper ng candY)

photographer pa pala.. libre na rin pala amin.. pinsan ko kasio photographer kaya iyun na gift nila samin..

anu paba? hair and make up.. dapat subok muna trial pa trial ka sis.. detemine kung type mo ang magmake up sa iyo o hindi..kasi iyung ibang mga nagmmake up dito alam nilang makeupan e puti or latina..iba kasi skintone natin alam mo naman..:D kaya subok muna.. take pix para makasiguro ka anung type mo..

mga bridesmaid ko pala nakaisip nung giveaway ko..tapos, anupaba? hmm kung me nakalimutan ako pasensiya kana sis.. pero sana makatulong iyan..:D

wag papastress sa araw ng kasal..:D

😁

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.