c_and_a

Jamaican Dual Citizenship?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It's very easy to get. If I hadn't made my money order out to the wrong agency, I would've gotten it on the first attempt. As it is, It's still sitting here on my desk. Haven't made it to the post office to get my refund yet.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

It's very easy to get. If I hadn't made my money order out to the wrong agency, I would've gotten it on the first attempt. As it is, It's still sitting here on my desk. Haven't made it to the post office to get my refund yet.

How much did it cost?

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Since you are married to a Jamaican citizen you are entitled to be a Jamaican Citizen through that marriage. If you go to any Jamaican Consulate's webpage it will tell you as such. Different ones serve different areas of the US, the one in new York serves my state, their website it http://www.congenjamaica-ny.org/ so you would just need to find the one that serves your area. I know there is one in Chicago and Miami. If you go the New York Consulates webpage as an example they tell you to apply for citizenship you need the citizenship application (which I had to mail them a self addressed envelope to receive) notarized copies of your and your husbands birth certificates & current passports, copy of marriage certificate, a police record, and two passport sized photos. The application costs J$7,000 which is like $80US so compared to what we have paid for our husbands we get out cheap! I am sending in the paperwork shortly for myself so if I have any updates I will let you know. I have been talking to a woman at the Consulate in New York and she told me once I git my certificate of citizenship I can apply for a Jamaican passport. PM me is you have any other questions.

So, can you apply from the US? The website says you have to apply to Kingston, and I am also curious about the police report...Is it a police report from Jamaica? I haven't lived there so I can't imagine why they would want this...but I haven't heard of anything comparable from the US.

Were you applying from the US?

What did you do about the police report?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
So, can you apply from the US? The website says you have to apply to Kingston, and I am also curious about the police report...Is it a police report from Jamaica? I haven't lived there so I can't imagine why they would want this...but I haven't heard of anything comparable from the US.

I got a police report from the city I live in. It was classified as a Clearance / Immigration letter. I sent in a $9 money order to the police dept, along with the file, and they sent me a letter stating when I lived here & that my record is clean.

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

This is all great information! About how long did it take to get the dual citizenship?

I-130 Timeline

04/10/09 - I130 Sent

04/14/09 - I130 Received

04/22/09 - Check Cashed

04/22/09 - NOA1 Hardcopy Received

08/13/09 - Touch

08/24/09 - RFE Email

08/27/09 - RFE Hardcopy Received

09/11/09 - Evidence sent to CSC

09/16/09 - Evidence Received by CSC

09/20/09 - Touch...on a Sunday???

09/25/09 - NOA2 Hardcopy Received. Dated 9/18

NVC Timeline

10/01/09 - NVC Case Number Assigned

10/02/09 - DS3023 & I-864 Bill Generated

10/02/09 - Paid I-864 fee online

10/03/09 - DS3032 Emailed

10/13/09 - Sent I-864 Packet

10/14/09 - NVC Received I-864 Packet

10/20/09 - I-864 Received via AVR

10/22/09 - IV Bill Generated

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

((BUMP))

does anyone know how long it takes to get dual citizenship?

I-130 Timeline

04/10/09 - I130 Sent

04/14/09 - I130 Received

04/22/09 - Check Cashed

04/22/09 - NOA1 Hardcopy Received

08/13/09 - Touch

08/24/09 - RFE Email

08/27/09 - RFE Hardcopy Received

09/11/09 - Evidence sent to CSC

09/16/09 - Evidence Received by CSC

09/20/09 - Touch...on a Sunday???

09/25/09 - NOA2 Hardcopy Received. Dated 9/18

NVC Timeline

10/01/09 - NVC Case Number Assigned

10/02/09 - DS3023 & I-864 Bill Generated

10/02/09 - Paid I-864 fee online

10/03/09 - DS3032 Emailed

10/13/09 - Sent I-864 Packet

10/14/09 - NVC Received I-864 Packet

10/20/09 - I-864 Received via AVR

10/22/09 - IV Bill Generated

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I remember seeing up to a year on a Jamaican government website, but I don't recall exactly where.

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Timeline
((BUMP))

does anyone know how long it takes to get dual citizenship?

It took me I think 2-3 months. It is an very easy process. My mom and I went to the embassy, for her to renew her passport and for me to get one, but I had to be a citizen first before I could apply. So, they took the information from her that they needed and they gave me a generic letter stating that I wanted to be a citizen of Jamaica. The embassy sends it to the office in Kingston, I believe that is the only way they will accept it unless you personally go to the office in Kingston. The picture for it is very specific so you would have to go to a passport picture place that specializes in country specific requirements. There is no fee to apply for citizenship. Once you have certificate in hand you can apply for a passport, which I have yet to do, lol.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Since you are married to a Jamaican citizen you are entitled to be a Jamaican Citizen through that marriage. If you go to any Jamaican Consulate's webpage it will tell you as such. Different ones serve different areas of the US, the one in new York serves my state, their website it <a href="http://www.congenjamaica-ny.org/" target="_blank">http://www.congenjamaica-ny.org/</a> so you would just need to find the one that serves your area. I know there is one in Chicago and Miami. If you go the New York Consulates webpage as an example they tell you to apply for citizenship you need the citizenship application (which I had to mail them a self addressed envelope to receive) notarized copies of your and your husbands birth certificates & current passports, copy of marriage certificate, a police record, and two passport sized photos. The application costs J$7,000 which is like $80US so compared to what we have paid for our husbands we get out cheap! I am sending in the paperwork shortly for myself so if I have any updates I will let you know. I have been talking to a woman at the Consulate in New York and she told me once I git my certificate of citizenship I can apply for a Jamaican passport. PM me is you have any other questions.

So your copies of your passports need to be notarized? Do they do that?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.