Oneil's_wife876

Shipping to Jamaica

14 posts in this topic

So I know we have probably been over this somewhere before but I can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for...

My husband and I are going to be going back to JA in October, this is going to be his first visit home since he came here last August and he wants to bring some gifts (clothes, shoes, etc) for his family plus all the clothes he has bought here that he wants to get tailored which he will then bring home to the US. We were thinking of using a shipping company and getting a barrel shipped but after some VJ research I can't seem to find any good posts regarding barrels so now I am hesitant. The other thing I am now worried about is additional costs at customs... even though these items would be gifts for family members (and NOT for resale) would they still charge us to bring them into the country? I have never done anything like this before so I am not sure how it works. I am assuming just packing these items into our suitcases and each of us bringing like two suitcases would not be a good idea cause I am sure they would go through the suitcases at customs since he is a returning resident and charge us anyway.

Any advice anyone has is much appreciated!

Thanks!

~Alissa :star:

Removal of Conditions

12/24/10 - Mailing I-751 Package!

12/27/10 - Package received at Vermont Service Center

12/31/10 - Check cashed

01/04/11 - Received NOA dated 12/28/10

01/27/11 - Bio Appointment (COMPLETE)

05/23/11 - Approved! Card Production Ordered!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Here is a post from another site:

These 2 shipping companies ship to Jamaica, I have used both of them. You need to contact them to find a trucking company that will get the goods to them. They have trucking companies that they use and they will provide you with all of the info.

FYI, other then shipping barrels the cost can vary, depending on what is greater cubic feet or weight. The last time I shipped from LA, I sent 1,600# (weight being greater then cubic feet) and it cost me $1,000 using Econocaribe. This included the trucking fees to Miami as well as the shipping fees.

Last year I shipped barrels from NY and they cost me $125 each barrel.

Take your time, ask all the questions and gather up the info before you commit.

Remember to have your papers in order in Ja before you go to pick up your shipment.

You must ship to yourself and you must arrive on the Island within I think 30 or 60 days days of the shipment arriving.

If you ship it to someone other then yourself, it is all considered a gift and duty will be put on it accordingly.

I am hoping you know all of this already.

You will have to pay duty no matter what and there are a couple of tricks to keep those costs down.

You have some allowances if you are married to a Jamaican or have a home here in Jamaica.

But it's not as easy as it once was clearing your goods and getting by without paying a high duty.

Best of luck.

http://www.econocaribe.com/

http://dennisshipping.com/

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Thanks for the info, I am going to look into those two companies...

Removal of Conditions

12/31/10 - Check cashed

Filed: Timeline
Thanks for the info, I am going to look into those two companies...

Hey Girl,

If you do send a barrell or a parcel make sure you make a list of everything in it.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

All I can say is good luck on this one. Seems to always be a big hassle.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Timeline
All I can say is good luck on this one. Seems to always be a big hassle.

Exactly, unless you have links at the wharf. I hate it when the take everything out the friggin barrell and expect you to repack it...friggers...

when I went home in June I took a large box and made sure what I packed in it didn't go over 50lbs and I had no problems with it. They checked it as another suitcase.

I have better luck mailling parcels home, I just make sure it's not something that's expensive.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

All he wants to do is bring home clothes primarily for his siters and brothers so I am tempted to just pack them in our suitcases... but when we are leaving the aiport and going through customs they will probably search our bags and then want to charge us... does anyone know how much charges are?

Removal of Conditions

12/31/10 - Check cashed

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
All he wants to do is bring home clothes primarily for his siters and brothers so I am tempted to just pack them in our suitcases... but when we are leaving the aiport and going through customs they will probably search our bags and then want to charge us... does anyone know how much charges are?

If you are putting the clothes in your suitcase just take off the tags if they are new...i bring clothes down for my hubby family everytime i go down and they don't ask as long there is no tags...they do look through your suitcase but they won't examine your clothes...I wouldn't worry...they charge based on how much the item would cost in JA...so it usually not that much if its nothing to big...like a tv set or something...

NVC Journey Total days: 75

04.09.2008: Case# assigned

05.12.2008: DS230 Entered into System

06.18.2008: Case Complete (So upset that it took this long 37days)

US Embassy:

10.29.2008: Interview Date Assigned

11.17.2008: Medical Appointment

12.03.2008: Interview Date (FINALLY!!!)**APPROVED**

12.08.2008: Visa Delivered

12.21.2008: POE JFK

Timeline

If you are putting the clothes in your suitcase just take off the tags if they are new...i bring clothes down for my hubby family everytime i go down and they don't ask as long there is no tags...they do look through your suitcase but they won't examine your clothes...I wouldn't worry...they charge based on how much the item would cost in JA...so it usually not that much if its nothing to big...like a tv set or something...

Don't agree with the charges statement here. I took a whole suitcase of presents for Christmas one time. Had tags on and ALL the receipts. The stupid duty cost more then I paid for the ####### I took.

If it were me, I would take all the tags off and mix everything in with your stuff.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Don't agree with the charges statement here. I took a whole suitcase of presents for Christmas one time. Had tags on and ALL the receipts. The stupid duty cost more then I paid for the ####### I took.

If it were me, I would take all the tags off and mix everything in with your stuff.

They didn't check our bags...we went through nothing to declare and we took one carry on each as well as one large checked bag. We had lots of gifts. But I know we lucked out. I agree...take the tags off of the clothes and mix in. Don't take too many suitcases because it will look suspicious

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

They didn't check our bags...we went through nothing to declare and we took one carry on each as well as one large checked bag. We had lots of gifts. But I know we lucked out. I agree...take the tags off of the clothes and mix in. Don't take too many suitcases because it will look suspicious

Timeline

Rolling stuff in your clothes works really well too - stuff little things in the pockets. I took stuff for Jawi's SO's little girls and I rolled their little clothes inside of mine.

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger....

I think we are going to take the tags off and pack them in our own suitcases. I am going to be nervous as heck going through customs... I was always a bad liar! My husband thinks the barrel is still the way to go and I'm like, honey if you want to pay for it be my guest, but I am sure he will come around to our way of thinking! Thanks again for the advice...

~Alissa

Removal of Conditions

12/31/10 - Check cashed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.