MARM

Anyone FEDEX 25KG+ to the USA from UK?

10 posts in this topic

Thanks everyone for the congrats...we cannot explain how happy we are to finally get the passport back from the UKHO...and now we are praying harder for a fast turnaround from the US Embassy as well (courier pick up scheduled for tomorrow! :dance: )

But we have a small dilemma we are facing regarding my fiance shipping some materials here to the USA. He wants to ship clothes and other personal items from London (a small dvd collection, durable home-wares, etc) to my address here in the USA. Unfortunately we cannot use ExcessBaggage, AllFreight, SevenSeas, and other similar sites because the options we have been offered do not suite us; 1) My fiance cannot ship his stuff here on his name because we are not sure of the date of his POE yet, and he will be traveling to Pakistan for a short trip before his POE in the USA as well. 2)My fiance cannot ship the stuff on my behalf (based on the fact that I am both the sender and recipient) for the same reason that I will be with him on the trip in Pakistan so I will not be here to pick up the shipment. So bottom line is that we have to find other ways to ship his stuff.

We are currently contemplating using FEDEX to ship 25KG of his things (or more if possible) to me here in the USA...FEDEX offers 25KG boxes and the rates aren't too bad either: we got a quote for 113 GBP for 25KG with insurance and next day delivery (FedEx International Priority®).

So did anyone ever use FEDEX and would like to share their experience or can recommend a similar service to us?

Thanks in advance! :yes:

MARM

Visa Journey completed, but we are still here to provide support! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Thanks everyone for the congrats...we cannot explain how happy we are to finally get the passport back from the UKHO...and now we are praying harder for a fast turnaround from the US Embassy as well (courier pick up scheduled for tomorrow! :dance: )

But we have a small dilemma we are facing regarding my fiance shipping some materials here to the USA. He wants to ship clothes and other personal items from London (a small dvd collection, durable home-wares, etc) to my address here in the USA. Unfortunately we cannot use ExcessBaggage, AllFreight, SevenSeas, and other similar sites because the options we have been offered do not suite us; 1) My fiance cannot ship his stuff here on his name because we are not sure of the date of his POE yet, and he will be traveling to Pakistan for a short trip before his POE in the USA as well. 2)My fiance cannot ship the stuff on my behalf (based on the fact that I am both the sender and recipient) for the same reason that I will be with him on the trip in Pakistan so I will not be here to pick up the shipment. So bottom line is that we have to find other ways to ship his stuff.

We are currently contemplating using FEDEX to ship 25KG of his things (or more if possible) to me here in the USA...FEDEX offers 25KG boxes and the rates aren't too bad either: we got a quote for 113 GBP for 25KG with insurance and next day delivery (FedEx International Priority®).

So did anyone ever use FEDEX and would like to share their experience or can recommend a similar service to us?

Thanks in advance! :yes:

MARM

Let me know how you get on with this. I might look into it myself if i run out of suitcase space lol

Sure thing Gary_UK, will post updates on what path we choose to follow and how it turns out...

Meanwhile we also are debating whether to use this service...

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/cont...ediaId=95000762

Marm--be sure an check out the custom requirements so nothing is levied a charge. It could be a simple as including a copy of his visa in the package with a semi-itemized list and a statement that they are his household goods he has owned over 12 months, he is immigranting, and the items are for his personal use only.

There's a bunch of official forms that I was understanding at one time. When Nick's things (23 boxes) got to Houston, the CBP officer for the port was so easy...he said we didn't need to fill out anything and just stamped our paper so the boxes could be released, so it's not like the forms are a 100% required. With just one box, I think a statement and visa copy would cover questions if they happened to randomly open the box for a search. Perhaps on the FedEx paperwork, he could write Immigrants household goods, because they do require forms for shipments to answer questions about customs on international things.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Thanks Nich, we are looking into this at the moment, FEDEX has the option of including in itemized list of items of "Personal Effects" as they put it. Also, there are a couple of customs forms he needs to fill out as you said. I sent (through USPS) a while ago, two 20 lb flat rate boxes to Pakistan with gifts in them for my fiance's family and I had to fill out about 3-4 customs forms regarding detailed info about what was inside, the value of each item inside the package, etc. They arrived on time in Pakistan and everything turned out well. We are hoping the same for FEDEX. My fiance will be using FEDEX to ship out two boxes (two, 25KG flat rate boxes, supplied by FEDEX for free) here to me. They will get here within 2 business days (which is wonderful) and he has been quoted ~220 GBP, which is not too bad at all, similar to the rate ExcessBaggage provided us, except without the sender/recipient issues. We will post an update once my fiance's packages are picked up by FEDEX and reach me here in the USA.

I used UPS and it was fabulous. Lots of forms to fill in, and list everything in the box. It's all personal so no customs charges are made. They took less than 4 days and no fuss.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

OK so we are back with an update on FEDEX...

:) It worked out awesomely (expecting delivery tomorrow before 10:30 AM)

So my fiance has successfully shipped two 25KG FEDEX boxes (total 50KG) to me here in the US. He shipped them today and they will get to me tomorrow by 10:30 AM, service used is FEDEX International Priority, it cost him 230 GBP to send them including insurance and they arrive next day! These are the steps he took, if anyone needs reference or is interested:

1) Fill out the online application to create a FEDEX account

2) FEDEX customer service call and confirm that he has a credit card for the account and give him his FEDEX account # over the phone

3) He also tells FEDEX at the same time of the call that he wants two 25KG FEDEX packaging boxes dropped off at his residence, customer service tells him today or tomorrow he should receive them

4) Next day, he receives the FEDEX two 25KG boxes as requested PLUS an extra 25KG box and an extra 10KG box (they voluntarily dropped these extras off, very nice of them)

5) He packs both boxes 25KG each, exactly and fills in pdf documents of commercial invoice and Airway bill (FEDEX emailed them to my fiance, and they can also be found online when you sign in with your account #) And asks FEDEX to pick them up next day on the phone, FEDEX says will pick up next day between 12-3 PM.

6) FEDEX arrives next day by 12 PM and picks up his boxes at his residence along with 3 copies of the Airway bill and 3 copies of the commercial invoice for each box (he is commended for packing the boxes strong and sturdy :thumbs: )

7) Currently we both are tracking online and they are well on their way here to me :yes:

Looking forward to 50KG from FEDEX tomorrow (at my door),

MARM

Edited by MARM

Sounds like a good solution to your schedule. :thumbs:

Why the commerical invoice? I don't have a clue about their terminology. It sounds so...well commerical, like he's selling merchandise to you. Will that add import duties on your end to receive them? Or did he do customs forms too?

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Sounds like a good solution to your schedule. :thumbs:

Why the commerical invoice? I don't have a clue about their terminology. It sounds so...well commerical, like he's selling merchandise to you. Will that add import duties on your end to receive them? Or did he do customs forms too?

A commercial invoice, according to FEDEX:

"A Commercial Invoice is not required

for commodities shipped within the

European Union (EU). It is mandatory for

all shipments to countries outside the

EU, except for documents that weigh less

than 10kg.

Entering accurate and detailed

information on the Commercial Invoice

is a major factor in guaranteeing swift

customs clearance."

Source: FEDEX.CO.UK

So in conclusion, it seems that a Commercial Invoice is another name for the customs forms that FEDEX requires...although the form itself is just a customs form, inclusive of all information such as what the goods are and there is the option of marking personal effects/personal use/resale/samples, etc. that kind of thing. No import duties apply to us on either end because my fiance marked personal effects and wrote a detailed explanation of what was inside each box (on the Commercial invoice itself, where it asks for detailed info regarding the goods).

So in FEDEX terminology, Commercial Invoice= Customs Form

Edited by MARM

On June 19, 2009 at around 9 AM (well before the 10:30 AM deadline), I received both the boxes my fiance shipped to me on June 18, 09.

:)

We recommend FEDEX! :thumbs:

Edited by MARM

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.